Sponsored by:

Spec Racer Atom

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Racer Atom

Looks like US Atom builder has set up a 10 race series for identical Atoms that will cost $32K. (no affiliation)

From the TMI website:
What is the Spec Racer Atom Series?

Quite simply, it’ll be one of the most competitive and cost effective racing series to hit the track in many years! Here are some of the race format details:

- 10 races over 5 weekends
- 4 different & challenging VIR course configurations
- 25 minute sprint race format (2 races per weekend)
- 4 additional 25 minute practice sessions each day
- Designated Atom-only race group
- Points awarded & scored towards year-end championship (The Atom Cup)
- All events in 2011 will take place at Virginia International Raceway
- All racing governed by 13/13 etiquette
- Series to be administered by TMI AutoTech, in strict accordance with defined SRA preparation & competition rules (i.e., no allowable changes/additions of any kind except tire pressure and/or other parameters within the standard range(s) of inherent mechanical adjustability provided by as-delivered car)
- All on-track sessions to be sanctioned & operated by VIR / VIR Club
- Entry Fee is $210 per event
- Series sponsorship announcement pending

Spec Racer Atom will provide you, the SRA owner/driver, a unique opportunity to develop and/or showcase your skills, along with other like-minded racers, behind the wheel of a new, purpose-built Ariel Atom. But very important in today’s world, it’ll also enable you to really keep your racing budget in real check!

More info here.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

With a start up cost of $32k.....and the performance of the Atom...thats a pretty tempting series if it gets popular...I always thought Atoms were way more expensive than that?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:20 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I have a hard time with this sentence...

''Be 1 of the first 10 ‘Founding Members’ of the SRA series in 2011 and receive an incredible package of savings!

1) Founding Members pricing for their new SRA cars will not exceed: $32,000. – complete; race ready!!''

Sounds like there's some sort of buy in and then your car will not cost more than 32K.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

32K is a steal.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That power to weight means it will be a 200ish hp engine so You aren't getting the same supercharged beast as the one on top gear. It's actually less than the k20 they sell as the 'base' model. That is probably one of the money saving bits. Take away the nice dash etc and you can get the price down there. Should be a very fun series. Mark at TMI/Ariel has been wanting to set this up for a while.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It could be some lonely "racing" if the program does not succeed. I also do not see any sanctioning body or requirement that drivers have a competition license. So there may be a quality issue there too. If they get enough of them racing, I suppose they could come under the wing of an SCCA or NASA.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,164 Likes on 599 Posts

lots of potential fun- VIR is a great track, couldn't imagine how fun it's going to be in an atom!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
It could be some lonely "racing" if the program does not succeed. I also do not see any sanctioning body or requirement that drivers have a competition license. So there may be a quality issue there too. If they get enough of them racing, I suppose they could come under the wing of an SCCA or NASA.
They 'licensing' will be handled by VIR/Ariel for this series. I think the main targets of this is the local VIR club members and the driving levels of that group is a fairly known quantity so those won't be too hard to deal with. Having worked with Ariel in the past this should be a very good group and I'm excited to see the cars and what the exact makeup of them will be in race form.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

$32k for a fully prepped Atom? That is really a great deal. I'd figure it does not have the Civic Type R k20 engine but the much cheaper GM ecotractor engine from the Cobalt to make it that cheap. The original importer to the US for Atom worked with Jay Leno and he helped them to get GM to sell them Cobalt engines as standard equipment. The Ecotec can handle boost but is not much in n/a form. Us 944 guys know the pain.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I doubt it will have the Ecotec motor as that relationship is over AFAIK. I'm sure it will be a Honda but not supercharged. The Honda is a much better motor than the EcoTec. The Ecotec was a good motor but the rev range is much smaller than the K20 motors.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in all honesty....I would expect the stripped down Atom to be cheaper. I mean, they do build a race car and then add all the items to make it street legal, whereas most companies like Porsche do it the other way around.

There really isn't much to the Atom....so $32K sounds about right to me. plus spares
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Trademark infringement. Just sayin.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Britt Bolen
Track Day

Sounds like a really cool series, especially if you live close, like me I think the car still has the K20, but it will have fixed shocks, rather than adjustables, and a spec brake kit (not sure what that will mean). They've not finalized the specs, give 'em a few weeks.

The 32K buys you the car, and requires you to go to 7 of 10 races (the car that is) its your car, and you get to keep it at VIR free for 6 months...
Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 AM
dp35
Pro

After only a few days, it appears that the first 10 of these cars are now sold. Apparently someone thought it was a good deal.

The real bargain of racing these cars will be in the running costs. Barring crash damage or fluke failures, these things shouldn't need anything other than nut & bolt checks to run this entire series. Compared to most race cars (including Spec Miatas), Atoms go through tires, brakes, and gas very slowly.

Quick Reply: Spec Racer Atom