Sponsored by:

Pro Autosports in Arizona?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Pro Autosports in Arizona?

If my car can ever manage to stay out of the shop, I really want to start road racing. Local guy with a .2 GT3RS recommended Pro Autosports which organizes track days at Firebird in Phoenix.
Anyone have experience with this outfit or with Firebird?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Come out and run with us in NASA! There's a great schedule for 2011 including each track at firebird, PIR, INDIE...AMP and Chuckwalla are under review as well...Several guys running GT3 RS, and a growing field of GT3 Cups...

NASAAZ - http://www.nasaaz.com/

Jim
Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran with ProAutoSports a couple times back years ago. However they only run at Firebird. There are 4 tracks at firebird but they are not that good. NASA runs at PIR, Firebird main, INDE and is very well run organization. I think NASA Az has been doing a very good job of mixing up the tracks and the event types to keep things fresh. Plus they have a Saturday night BBQ for all drivers. Fun time to hangout and talk with fellow car guys.

NASA also organizes and supports events for both the Local PCA and BMW club. Do a PCA DE and there the corner workers are NASA guys and a number of BMW tracks days are run in conjuction with NASA. Next event is Jan 8th and 9th at PIR.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Come out and run with us in NASA! There's a great schedule for 2011 including each track at firebird, PIR, INDIE...AMP and Chuckwalla are under review as well...Several guys running GT3 RS, and a growing field of GT3 Cups...

NASAAZ - http://www.nasaaz.com/

Jim
Thanks Jim! Really looking forward to getting started! Just spent the last hour browsing that link. Hopefully will have my car back and running soon and maybe in time for HPDE in Jan.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Send me a pm or email if you have any questions, there are a pile of rennlisters in the group, (^Joe is our resident 944spec leader) or post on the site and introduce yourself...fun group.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really do the next NASA event at PIR. After Feb they are tearing up the track and I heard at the SCCA event there a few weeks ago that they might not have the infield section. So no more PIR maybe... I am thinking about instructing that event. I could work with you if you would like. PM me.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Send me a pm or email if you have any questions, there are a pile of rennlisters in the group, (^Joe is our resident 944spec leader) or post on the site and introduce yourself...fun group.
I tried but I 'do not have access' to post on the welcome forum Guess someone needs to activate my account first
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cardsrule
I would really do the next NASA event at PIR. After Feb they are tearing up the track and I heard at the SCCA event there a few weeks ago that they might not have the infield section. So no more PIR maybe... I am thinking about instructing that event. I could work with you if you would like. PM me.
Sounds good. I may take you up on that. Just be gentle as I'm a noob And I'll try not to hold your username against you
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Thumbs up

+1 to Jim and Joe's posts re:NASA. Great people and organization. Come check it out in January.

In order to post on the forum you may need to be a member IIRC. Definitely the spot to get dialed in with what is going on.

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsrule
The infield is not be torn up to my knowledge. However the track will be off limits for quite sometime. Jan and Feb, but it will be closed after the first NASCAR race up till the second on in November.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm seriously considering joining you guys for the Jan 8-9 weekend at PIR. We (POC) haven't raced there in 5 or 6 years and I remember loving/hating it especially that turn off the banking (T1?). Our first race isn't until the end of February and I'm not sure I can last that long. How much run time do you get in a race class like mine (ST2), how popular is ST2 there, and is there a Friday practice?

OK 2 more questions: Can I get my 2011 annual at the track, and is there a Dynojet nearby?.....

Thanks,

JRG
Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

JR come on down, weather should be beautiful, PIR is an easy track the transition at T1 is the pucker point but after a few laps it's not so daunting...

The typical weekend is gates open Friday (setup only no track time) then saturday 15-20min warm up, 15-20 min practice, 15-20min qualify, 30-35min race (depends on the schedule and split classes or combined) wash rinse repeat for sunday...

Barbecue on Saturday night when track goes cold. If you call ahead of time Jim flucky does them at the track by appointment. Doubt there will be a dyno at the track might be able to do that on friday at one of the local shops.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM
cardsrule
Pro

bonehead, Yeah the cards aren't "ruling" much these days. Let me know if you end up doing the event and would like to work with me. I can only do Saturday....bummer.

JR, We have a dyno and we would love to see your spec 996 so just let us know.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/service/11/

Last edited by cardsrule; 12-13-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I'm seriously considering joining you guys for the Jan 8-9 weekend at PIR. We (POC) haven't raced there in 5 or 6 years and I remember loving/hating it especially that turn off the banking (T1?). Our first race isn't until the end of February and I'm not sure I can last that long. How much run time do you get in a race class like mine (ST2), how popular is ST2 there, and is there a Friday practice?

OK 2 more questions: Can I get my 2011 annual at the track, and is there a Dynojet nearby?.....

Thanks,

JRG
Come out! We should be there with our black 74' car (unfortunately no way the GT3r will be ready :-(. Usually quite a few ST2 cars. You can get an annual at the track. There are several shops with dyno jets within ~30 min of PIR.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

I think i still have the track record at PIR for ST2 (1:05.7). Here is a video to study...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00710347509182

Or here, I think this is actually the track record for ST2...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47509182&hl=en

Quick Reply: Pro Autosports in Arizona?