Sponsored by:

996 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM
fletcherdave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 build

I figure I should document my build and also use this thread to ask silly newbie questions. Put the car on the lift today for the first time. I forgot how dirty street cars are underneath! After a lot of cleaning I found that I have H&R springs and heim joint drop links. I was unable to locate a manufacturer name on the dampers. I was told it has a "full GT3" suspension under it. So can anyone tell me what kind of dampers are in a GT3 suspension?? Some photos:
Attached Images     
Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

GT3's come with Sachs
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The drop links appear to be Tarrett's which is a good thing. Get me a closeup of the numbers on the H & R springs and I can tell you what they are. Can't see the shocks well enough to tell what they are, are there any name or numbers on them? The lower control arms don't appear to be shimable meaning they're not GT3 arms but it's hard to see....
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM
fletcherdave
Intermediate

Jr, I was able to make out some writing on a sticker on the damper body. I was able to make out "996 GT3". Lots of numbers stamped on the damper body as well along with "made in Germany", so I'm going with Sachs....what do you think?
On a side note.....I am ordering the LN Engineering deep sump kit and read it increases the oil capacity by 5 quarts!! A small spacer increases that much?? I believe the car already takes 10 quarts so I will need 15 quarts??!! I wasn't able to locate a phone number on the LN website.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:06 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

The phone and email for LN Engineering is on the home page:

http://www.lnengineering.com/

I personally know Charles and Tammy and the best way I have found to contact them is email. Another consideration versus the deep sump is the X51 oil pan:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=996Oil

I installed this on my 996 and never had any issues with oil starvation or oil blowing past the air/oil separator.

One other comment on your photos, those are not GT3 sway bars. The GT3 sways are 5-way adjustable front and 3-way rear. From the pictures it looks like there is no adjustment in your bars.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Agree with JR Gordon ..those drop links are from Tarrett Engineering, San Diego...they make a lot of really great parts.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fletcherdave
Jr, I was able to make out some writing on a sticker on the damper body. I was able to make out "996 GT3". Lots of numbers stamped on the damper body as well along with "made in Germany", so I'm going with Sachs....what do you think?
On a side note.....I am ordering the LN Engineering deep sump kit and read it increases the oil capacity by 5 quarts!! A small spacer increases that much?? I believe the car already takes 10 quarts so I will need 15 quarts??!! I wasn't able to locate a phone number on the LN website.
that's 1/2 qt not 5 quarts :-)

Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I always thought GT3 had bilstein/eibach combo..... Atleast thats what I had.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for the Shocks/springs what you have is stock oem GT3 for the MKII cars. On the front picture you can even see the GT3 upper shock mount (the metal plate) which allows you to remove the studs and put them in the extra holes (rotated) to give you additional negative camber).

The drop links are Tarrett but I can't see if your sway bars have multiple mounting holes which the GT3 sway bars do have.

For the record: stock GT3 setup is Bilstein damper with H&R springs. Sachs dampers were on cup cars.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

You are right Paul, stock GT3 is Bilstein H&R and not eibach.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 PM
outline
Racer

non GT3 arms, non GT3 sway bars, definately upgraded coilovers and they do indeed look like GT3 versions.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
fletcherdave
Intermediate

Excellent.....Bilstiens and H&R, stock arms and bars. That's what I needed a bench mark. Now I have a little better direction, thanks guys.

Next question: The Brembo calipers have a hard line from the caliper to a certain point then about an 8" piece of flex, then back to a hard line??? Of course I am looking at this in order to upgrade to SS lines and keep them from flexing under heat pressure. I have heard that these lines are steel braided and covered with rubber. I know, I know take into consideration your source. When I checked the lines out closer I am doubting the steel braided theory. Sooooooo my question is do I need to upgrade to SS lines on this car???
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

id upgrade the lines just in case as the car was purchased use.

change to adjustable LCA

change all the fluids and take her for some laps at the track.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 AM
fletcherdave
Intermediate

Ok, so far the LN engineering oil pan thingy is installed with a true filter, SS brake lines are on, Motul in the resevoir, cats and mufflers removed.

Of course I had to drive it a bit with open headers.......HOLY #$%&!!!! I was giddy and so was the guy helping me. He restores old muscle cars and could not believe the exhaust note from a six cylinder.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 AM
fletcherdave
Intermediate

pics
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: 996 build