Sponsored by:

Suburban LTZ or Yukon Denali XL

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That's what I have. Just bought a new (2011) one. But I tow often with it, as well as using it as a daily driver. Admittedly, the Denali ride is much better than the 2500's live axle ride for many folks....
I love these trucks. I love the FF rear axle with the huge bearings holding the hubs. I love the front torsion system.

But I also love the AutoRide. So I hope they bring it back. I am sort of sure it either saved my life or at least saved me major injury because of the way it had the suspension react when I was sliding sideways at 70 after being "PIT" maneuvered by a drunk asswipe.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
please ford bring back the excursion and put your new 6.7 diesel in it...
Agreed...or, beef up the Expedition platform and put the diesel in it.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a Denali and we love it. I haven't pulled my car trailer with it but I've pulled our boat(08 SANTE) and I bet that's 5700# with gas and trailer without trouble. I paid attention to trans temp in the hills of Arkansas and it ran on the high side but no problems. I worry about the weight of tow vehicle and how it will handle the "wag" of an enclosed trailer.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick
Updated Excursion
6.7 diesel
F350 Lariat equipped
Same tow ratings

SOLD SOLD SOLD

I have take this to my ford fleet guy and to a guy that is on the dealer advisory board with Ford etc... they all tell me the same thing... aint gonna happen

I presume that the big three think the market for a full sized 3 row HD SUV with a diesel does not exist and that is why they ignore it... I mean how hard would it be and wouldnt the government purchases alone warrant slapping an enclosure on the back of an F350 and adding a bench?

I digress...

OP -- get the denali... more motor and AWD really only costs more to maintain if something goes wrong... both trucks are bullet proof...

Tell the dealer you want a suburban diesel 2500/3500 with 4 wd and air conditioned seats and you know a guy in Seattle that would buy one too :-)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your feedback guys....and the winner is.....drum roll please.......

DENALI!

Got a great deal on a fully loaded Red/Tan one. It looks and is Badass! Cant wait to pick it up next week!

Thanks for convincing me to go with the Denali!!

-Jim
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
The Expedition EL was marketed for a short time as the Excursion replacement...but it is no Excursion.

My wife will keep her 2005 Excursion PSD until it is a pile of rust. It is odd how the PR war killed the Excursion and not the Suburban.

I think it is also safe to say the Suburban/Tahoe Hybrid experiment has pretty much failed.

It is odd how the US still favors anything except a diesel, even in light of the obvious advantages.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 AM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Default Denali

Jim
I currently have a 09 yukon Denali.
love it for street driving.
the motor sounds sweet and it has loads of power.
interior appointments are very nice.
when i tow my 24' featherlite to the glen, there is no hill that presents anything close to a challenge.
fuel mileage while towing is not good, however.
Bad news is that I have to report that the Denali suspension is very marginal for my towing application. its just too soft, imo.
So I hate to say it, but when the lease is up in April, I will be replacing the Denali with a 2500 crew cab pickup with the duramax motor.
ds
Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by rstrahota
Jim
when i tow my 24' featherlite to the glen, there is no hill that presents anything close to a challenge.
Bad news is that I have to report that the Denali suspension is very marginal for my towing application. its just too soft, imo.
So I hate to say it, but when the lease is up in April, I will be replacing the Denali with a 2500 crew cab pickup with the duramax motor.
ds
I was expecting someone to have a story like this. I think I'm finally convinced to just keep my '05 F-250 as a tow vehicle and pick up something that I can drive year round here as a DD.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Jim
ds
Good move Dick, you can't go wrong with the Duramax/Allison combo. Quiet ride, comfortable, and you can pull a redwood down with one..
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim
Bad news is that I have to report that the Denali suspension is very marginal for my towing application. its just too soft, imo.So I hate to say it, but when the lease is up in April, I will be replacing the Denali with a 2500 crew cab pickup with the duramax motor.
ds

This is the same concern I have with towing 24footer behing anything less than a 250/2500 chassis.

My current 2500 dodge has the 8.0L V10 and puts out 300 hp and 450ft-lbs. A lot of 1/2 truck motors can probably pull as well as this motor (with more hp and less torque), but can the chassis of a 1/2 ton handle the weight? That has aways been my concern.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Jim
ds
Hey Dick,

Thanks for the feedback. Is yours a Denali XL or the shorter wheelbase version? I see you have a 24' trailer. How much does it weigh fully loaded? Do you have self leveling shocks in the back (autoride)?

I have a 20' trailer and its about 5500 lbs fully loaded. I towed it with a standard Ford Expedition. It could do it, but....it wasnt fun. The wheelbase on the Denali XL is a full foot longer. I think for me and what I tow, and I only tow about 4 X a year, it should be ok.

I test drove it and it rips! Beautiful truck, fast. great interior. Perfect for hauling the familiy and gear back and forth to Vermont for ski weekends.

I went and bought it last night. Where were you guys before I wrote the check?

-Jim

Last edited by JimmiLew; 12-14-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Hey Dick,

Thanks for the feedback. Is yours a Denali an XL or the shorter wheelbase version? I see you have a 24' trailer. How much does it weigh fully loaded? Do you have self leveling shocks in the back (autoride)?

I have a 20' trailer and its about 5500 lbs fully loaded. I towed it with a standard Ford Expedition. It could do it, but....it wasnt fun. The wheelbase on the Denali XL is a full foot longer. I think for me and what I tow, and I only tow about 4 X a year, it should be ok.

I test drove it and it rips! Beautiful truck, fast. great interior. Perfect for hauling the familiy and gear back and forth to Vermont for ski weekends.

I went and bought it last night. Where were you guys before I wrote the check?

-Jim
CONGRATS!!! Almost as good as this...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-27-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;8132888]CONGRATS!!! Almost as good as this...

Thanks! Nice truck! Check out all those racked Jet Skis! Do those come with a rider selectable topless version?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiLew

Thanks! Nice truck! Check out all those racked Jet Skis! Do those come with a rider selectable topless version?
Yes...you get to pick whether she is blonde, brunette, or redhead.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3/4 ton, 2500, 3/4 ton, 2500, 3/4 ton choose any one of those.

Quick Reply: Suburban LTZ or Yukon Denali XL