Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should both seats be the same for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default should both seats be the same for DE?

Hi,

could anybody give a difinitive answer - is there any provision/requirement in PCA DE rules that require both _seats_ in the car be the same?

I need to keep a reclinable passenger seat in my car but would love to put a recaro gt3 sport bucket for driver`s seat.

What exactly is required by rules - to have same exact seats on both sides or only same type of harnesses? Or a combination of both? Car will remain in street/track mode for next season, otherwise I would simply replace both seats, but as I will have to move my kid around in the back seat it is quite a pain to decide what to do.

Thanks, Paul.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the organizer, but the most strict standard tends to be "equivalent safety." I would think that an OEM passenger seat and 3 point would be equivalent to the GT3 sport bucket and 3 point. Ask your local PCA safety boss because there's a level of discretion and you'd hate to guess wrong!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

The NER DE rules seem focused on the harness 'equality' rather than actual seats.

Equal Restraints
Equal restraints are required for driver and passenger (if a passenger is present). "Equal restraints" means both occupants have the same level of equipment. NER/Zone 1 regions require that all instructors' cars that may take a passenger have equal restraints and that they "default up to the higher level of protection", i.e. if one has a five-point harness, both must have them.

You should PM chrisoutzen who is the head of tech inspection for NER DE. He'll know for sure!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

If it’s just seat you are talking about, I would agree with the above comments, there is some discretion involved...

But, if you plan to use 6 point belts on driver side you most have same on passenger side. 6 point harness are never acceptable with a stock seat. A race seat of some kind with proper provisions for shoulder straps and crotch belts would be required.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have and instructor in the car you must have equal restraints. That is a PCA national rule. Also if you have 5-6 point harnesses you must have the proper seats.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have instructed in a fully blown Corvette with a really nice racing, stock on my side. Never again. Not sure what I was thinking.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
The NER DE rules seem focused on the harness 'equality' rather than actual seats.

You should PM chrisoutzen who is the head of tech inspection for NER DE. He'll know for sure!
yep, i guess I will do just that... life would be definitely easier if I could put in same seats on both sides, but, well, ce la vie.

I am trying to find used 996 gt3 sport seats but they are surprisingly difficult to find and I am not sure if any other budget options exist for reclinable sport seats as gt2 seats cost some ridiculous amount of money.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rules are clear on equal restraints for both driver & student... The unwritten rule is that if you are placing a bucket in the driver seat then you need to provide the same for the passenger.

NOW with that said... They do not both have to be high end Recaro seats... you can use a cheaper make model in the Co-pilots spot.... If you are inclined to think less of your friends with you.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
If it’s just seat you are talking about, I would agree with the above comments, there is some discretion involved...

But, if you plan to use 6 point belts on driver side you most have same on passenger side. 6 point harness are never acceptable with a stock seat. A race seat of some kind with proper provisions for shoulder straps and crotch belts would be required.
obviously I will have to use regular seatbelts, as car does not have a rollbar still because of the same reason - I need it as DD from time to time and my kid rides in the back.

but I am just tired to get blood on my left knee after auto-x sessions, proper seats are long overdue... only question is how to approach this without violations. what about regular tech inspections BTW? do they care what seats are installed?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Per CVR DE Guide 2010 -
" Passengers. For purposes of instruction only, CVR approved Instructors may ride in a
student’s car (and vice versa, at the discretion of the instructor) provided both occupants are
registered for the event and the same type of restraint system (seats, seat belts, roll bars,
cages, etc.) is available to both. Except for Taste of the Track participants, other passengers
are not permitted on the track."

If you aren't in an instructed group you don't even need a passenger seat.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Gary, wouldn't you want the student to think of you as he might his friends...?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

My student's all hate me, it's a dynamic I work on...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

That works...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I was searching on Ebay and found this ad, it looks like those seats can recline so I could possibly use it on a passenger side.

does anybody know anything about this product? it does look like crap, but for $300...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...item2a0b1084cc
Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

never heard of that brand before. Sorry

Quick Reply: should both seats be the same for DE?