Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Better 2010 F1 car over the course of the season?
Ferrari
50.00%
Mclaren
50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Did Ferrari or Mclaren have the better F1 car in 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Did Ferrari or Mclaren have the better F1 car in 2010?

Okay guys, here's what I'd like to know. In your opinion, who had the better car over the course of this last season? We know Ferrari won the first race, was somewhat competitive, dropped off in the middle, and came roaring back at the end. Mclaren started decently, got really strong, and weren't able to finish it off. I'm not just looking at the constructor's championship because driver performance can skew the results. I'd like to hear some logic behind your vote too.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

First quarter goes to: Ferrari

Second quarter goes to McLaren

Third quarter goes to Ferrari and most of 4th quarter of season. However, McLaren came into last race with new aero kit that put them clearly behind Red Bull and far ahead of Ferrari.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

If the mods could be so kind and change my vote from Ferrari to McLaren. I meant to pick McLaren but was too fast with the mouse.

McLaren was more consistent and the only reason they weren't closer to a driver's championship was because Lewis screwed the pooch on several occasions. The only reason Ferrari was even in the running was because of FA and their mid-season improvement, read Nick Fry.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall...I think the nudge goes to McLaren
Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 PM
PPo
Drifting

That's a tough question... great question, but tough to answer...

After some thought, I think the McLaren averaged the better car. It was really the innovation of the f-duct that gave them a great advantage. Once other teams designed thier own, McLaren was no longer a standout. However, when you average the season, I think McLaren had the better car...

I wonder how Jenson Button would answer the same question?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McLaren seemed to have the best average overall results from the Car... Drivers not withstanding!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

My vote goes to Ferrari.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The edge goes to ?? Red Bull

Ferrari v. McLaren is tough. The reason is the cars were not the same all year. Not to mention McLaren's car had an edge in certain places on certain tracks as compared to Ferrari on certain places on certain tracks. Neither was a clear stand out over the other. Each track and each weekend either car could be fast.

Clearly the best car was Red Bull and I would give McLaren and Ferrari at tie. Contrustors points clearly go to McLaren, but the car? No so clear. They were clearly better then other teams however.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

McLaren. Why? While they both suffered teething problems early in the season, McLaren had the most consistency from the star of the season, IMO.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My vote is slightly skewed toward Mclaren. I think Ferrari built a decent car, but late season success was more attributable to FA; like someone lit a fire under his butt. Mclaren's F-duct seemed to be pretty well engineered. AFAIK, they used a setup controlled by the driver's knee, whereas many others used the back of the hand. IMHO, I don't know that periodically taking one's hand off the steering is such a good idea....especially on the fastest sections of the track. Not necessarily unsafe, but not a great position to be in pending an oh-crap moment. I'm critical of Mclaren's pursuit of top speed. I think RB did as well as they did because they seemed to emphasize cornering prowess. If the Mclaren's had tilted a bit more towards handling instead, I dare say it would have been a different ending in 2010.

Here's some pics from our visit to the Montreal race:

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

These days Ferrari appears to engineer their car so that it wins at Monza. Any results for Ferrari at the other tracks is just a bonus just as long as they win Monza. I really wanted to give my vote to Red Bull, but since this was a Ferrari versus McLaren poll, my vote went to McLaren because they care about all the tracks. Of course I will openly admit that presently Ferrari is my least favorite F1 team, so there may be some bias in my McLaren vote. Funny because growing up in the 70s and 80s I was a huge Ferrari fan.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
5:04
Intermediate

I'm defintely no fan of the Red Fiats, however that doesn't bias in saying that McLaren had the better car. It was more innovative and most (key word most) of their aero updates helped them throughout the season. I think FA is what did it for Ferrari. He's a phenomenal driver and pulled everything he could out of car.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
If the mods could be so kind and change my vote from Ferrari to McLaren. I meant to pick McLaren but was too fast with the mouse.

Done.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...The only reason Ferrari was even in the running was because of FA and their mid-season improvement, read Nick Fry.
I believe my simple statistical analysis of Alonso's qualifying results pre and post Fry (see the Abu Dhabi thread) showed thus to be probable ... Although sone people don't like math.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by My993C2
These days Ferrari appears to engineer their car so that it wins at Monza. Any results for Ferrari at the other tracks is just a bonus just as long as they win Monza. I really wanted to give my vote to Red Bull, but since this was a Ferrari versus McLaren poll, my vote went to McLaren because they care about all the tracks. Of course I will openly admit that presently Ferrari is my least favorite F1 team, so there may be some bias in my McLaren vote. Funny because growing up in the 70s and 80s I was a huge Ferrari fan.
Your logic is a little flawed.... If you prefer McLaren, you should vote for Ferrari in this poll. That way you can make the following claim: "Despite the fact that McLaren had the inferior car, they used thier race craft, and drivers, to overcome the car design and still win races and compete for the WC driver title. Ferrair only relies on thier engineers and they don't have much race talent."

I voted for McLaren.

Quick Reply: Did Ferrari or Mclaren have the better F1 car in 2010?