Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo RA1 335/30/18 shaved or unshaved.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts
Default Toyo RA1 335/30/18 shaved or unshaved.

Need some advice:

These tires were last produced in '07 so they are all about 3 years old.

So far I only ran them shaved 5/32nd. I get about 4 DE days out of the rears, then they cord on the sides. Sometimes inside, sometimes outside, depends on the track and on what side the tire is mounted.

Now on ebay:
Shaved a lot more then I am used to 2/32nd + 1 heat cycle session, down to the wear bars.

Also:
New unshaved 8/32nd

Cost is the same about $150ea delivered.

My concerns;
The shaved ones might barely last 2 days, not a lot of rubber, but they will be good first session out.

I am OK with them being a bit slippery for a session or 2 if unshaved. but will it take longer than that? I don't want to melt them first session out and have globs of ruber all over the tire.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

thats all I run now, besides a few sets of Hoosier A6s now, but the toyos are awesome and they are all 07s from the WCGT series. all shaved and last longer than I want, actually. just when they start to cord, i go to throw them out and they dont get any worse, and I jsut keep running them. actually, only a second or so slower than a new set and they are really trashed! usually, the wear bars are just below the tread level, but if they are equal to the tread bars, thats fine. personally, I would go with those. the full tread is not for serious track duty, but still will work for a long time. the tread will squirm and generate heat, they wont handle right and will make a ton of noise. not ideal, but fine for DE.

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1 335/30/18 shaved or unshaved.