Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Josh, the fans are still working fine!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
With a single piston there is no reason it should bend the plates, especially if they are not full metallic. Do the pads slide in and out (to the rotor, not for replacement) without hanging up at all?
Matt, I have never checked to see how smooth the path to the rotor is. I'll take a look when I get them off to rebuild this winter. They do slide in/out well for replacement.

Another piece of this puzzle could be that I don't use the retainer clips... but I haven't bothered using them for a long time... I'll probably start using 'em again just in case they actually help... Again, I'm desperate...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

JSmith,
Where did you source those fans? They look like a great solution.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Matt, I have never checked to see how smooth the path to the rotor is. I'll take a look when I get them off to rebuild this winter. They do slide in/out well for replacement.

Another piece of this puzzle could be that I don't use the retainer clips... but I haven't bothered using them for a long time... I'll probably start using 'em again just in case they actually help... Again, I'm desperate...
---------------

If you mean you are not locking the pins/pads down with that cross-spring, I bet that could cause more uneven wear at the leading edge than setting pistons slightly off 20 degrees. Those black Pagid pads are good for 1200F and that's probably when wear is even across the full surface.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,001 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
JSmith,
Where did you source those fans? They look like a great solution.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=5751

Originally Posted by sig_a
---------------

If you mean you are not locking the pins/pads down with that cross-spring, I bet that could cause more uneven wear at the leading edge than setting pistons slightly off 20 degrees. Those black Pagid pads are good for 1200F and that's probably when wear is even across the full surface.
I've run a lot without the spring things in there without problem. I'm pretty sure those only keep the pads from rattling around. I don't think they have any effect on pad wear.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have much more experience with this than me. So if the manufacturer wanted to stop pads from rattling they would cut round pin holes rather than elongated. I think the cross-spring puts downward tension on the top of both pads to help retain the pins in the caliper (safety), and to keep the full face of the pads aligned with rotor. The elongated holes provide for small shifts either forward or backward as the pad is pressed against the rotor. ATE included the spring in the design, so I use them.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Jack, those who run RS-19s in the front use the RS-14s in the back if they want a little more rear brake.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Jack:
You could try the RS29 or RS19 front with the RS14 in the rear (I think I am going this route myself). Now that I have said good buy to my big brakes and gone back to E class, a good cooling solution is definitely on the winter to do list for the car. I don't want to have to rebuild calipers every other race.

Josh, I like the blowers you came up with. Very cool. I think you can pick up those little fans at Lowes or Home Depot.

Regarding the clips in the calipers, I heard you can run without them since they were put there to help keep the brakes from squeaking, but haven't tried that.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
...Now that I have said good buy to my big brakes and gone back to E class, a good cooling solution is definitely on the winter to do list for the car.
Hell yeah! Welcome back.

Quick Reply: Carrera brake issues