Default iphone 4+ tomtom gps mount+harrys lap timer=

video with data overlay!!!!!

http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTi...age/Video.html

srcoll to bottom V12
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Do you actually need the Tom Tom gps mount since the iPhone 4 already has a GPS antenna?

I have an iPhone 4 and wonder if a regular suction cup mount for $30 will work instead of the $100 Tom Tom GPS mount?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

is this regular harry's or harry's pro?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Do you actually need the Tom Tom gps mount since the iPhone 4 already has a GPS antenna?
Yes. The Tom Tom unit magnifies the GPS signal and gets you a consistant high rate GPS lock.

I tried both with and without and the phone itself doesn't get a strong enough GPS lock to really keep up with the pace at which things are moving. I almost stopped using the app due to my frustrations with it until I borrowed a tom tom GPS mount from a good friend.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Yes. The Tom Tom unit magnifies the GPS signal and gets you a consistant high rate GPS lock.

I tried both with and without and the phone itself doesn't get a strong enough GPS lock to really keep up with the pace at which things are moving. I almost stopped using the app due to my frustrations with it until I borrowed a tom tom GPS mount from a good friend.
Great...thanks for the explanation....I saw the Megellan at my Apple store and Best Buy...I guess it would work as well as the Tom Tom unit?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a guy running in NASA Az that is doing the same with a droid.

http://forums.nasaaz.com/showthread.php?t=4196

Not including the phone I think it cost him like $60 for Data Aq.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 AM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how this is better than 1k+ systems. The video quality is so good compared to the other over priced video systems out there. Makes me laugh.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by gomez1
I love how this is better than 1k+ systems. The video quality is so good compared to the other over priced video systems out there. Makes me laugh.
Technology has a way of leap-frogging like this. I need to figure out if there is a way to make the setup weatherproof for open cockpit.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask and ye shall receive

http://www1.magellangps.com/toughcase/#3
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdrums

I have an iPhone 4 and wonder if a regular suction cup mount for $30 will work instead of the $100 Tom Tom GPS mount?

you don't NEED the TomTom... I ran a session without it plugged in because the signal WITH it was weaker than the iPhone 4's signal... oddly one time. It recorded 100% strong signaled laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0M0cTDsl5g

Love this app!

BUT

I wish it would record a WHOLE session and allow an overlay afterwards. Even if we needed to overlay in post (anyone know if you can do this???) as now it only video records every other lap (it needs to process the video???). So obviously I don't have my two fastest laps on video... but it did record the data at least.

Also, I noticed the video is off by a few tenths compared to what the data is telling you.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by tasracer
Pricey, but it even adds an extender battery.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottjua
you don't NEED the TomTom... I ran a session without it plugged in because the signal WITH it was weaker than the iPhone 4's signal... oddly one time. It recorded 100% strong signaled laps.
Thanks..really confused now...some say you need it to increase strenght and some say you don't.

I have the iPhone 4 which some say has a better GPS antenna than the Tom Tom mount.

Dang it...I need to buy something here soon. Tom Tom or Magellan GPS mount or just a cheap suction cup mount????
Old 11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by tasracer
Looks like it is for the iPhone 3...I have an iPhone4. Also does not show if it comes with a suction cup mount.

Anyone seen this product in person?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I used Harry's Lap Timer Pro + TomTom Kit this weekend at TWS. It worked great. I mounted the TomTom kit to the windshield and as soon as I plugged in my iPhone 4, a little message would pop up saying something about using the TomTom's NMEA GPS...

I agree with above - I wish it would capture the whole session. I found that if you manually press the "record" button it will trigger with each lap... BUT you get video from every other lap (data from every lap).

I looks pretty cool with the data overlay, although the G'meter is very lagged. For a total cost of $110 (app + TomTom kit) its definitely 5 stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB95J7fNh0s
Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

According to Harry's web site, the Magellan is not yet supported, possible future support. The Tom Tom is. I have used this app all year, and there is no question that the GPS signal is better with the Tom Tom car kit, even with Iphone 4, plus you get battery charging (and the video recording does eat up battery life) and a mount. However, some groups will not allow you to use a suction cup mount. The only complaint is that the video overlay is one lap at a time. Hopefully that will be a future upgrade. Well worth the $110 - 120 for the app and Tom Tom.

Quick Reply: iphone 4+ tomtom gps mount+harrys lap timer=