Sponsored by:

So how exactly do you run an enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts
Default So how exactly do you run an enduro?

Wow, I feel a little like Boston DMD aka Paulo with this thread, but I'll be running my first enduro in a few months and want to pick the minds of RLers.

If a sprint race is 100%, would an enduro be 80-90% with a variation on

1. Not getting too tired before the end of the race.
2. Varying your lap times when you feel the tires losing grip because they are too hot and needed to back it down a bit

What should I expect? Do you hit a wall (figuratively) when it comes to heat and hydration?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long is this enduro?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just run your race. If you find yourself pushing too hard or putting wheels off the track then you are over-driving. Nothing really special to do. Just stay consistent and don't beat up your ****.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

an enduro is a sprint race for 90 minutes...you drive flat out

Cool suit and drink bottle are your friends
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 686 Likes on 333 Posts

I think it is always good to have a plan, when to pit, what to do during pit stop, practice those plans before u run the enduro. I usually go ***** out at the start and for maybe the first four or five laps to get a good track position then I settle in to be smooth and consistent. It is amazing to me how many cars have an off or retire for mechanical or other reasons. It is an old race saying but very accurate " To finish first you first must finish" especially in enduros.
Have fun.
Rich
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I think it is always good to have a plan, when to pit, what to do during pit stop, practice those plans before u run the enduro. I usually go ***** out at the start and for maybe the first four or five laps to get a good track position then I settle in to be smooth and consistent. It is amazing to me how many cars have an off or retire for mechanical or other reasons. It is an old race saying but very accurate " To finish first you first must finish" especially in enduros.
Have fun.
Rich
Thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for. So your plan is to find a spot on the track and run alone (hopefully up front) and then ease off a bit to save the car to the end.

This particular enduro is 65 min. long
Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I run enduros fast, real fast
Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
an enduro is a sprint race for 90 minutes...you drive flat out

Cool suit and drink bottle are your friends
That's a PCA 'enduro'. Other venues run longer races and are what I would call real enduros - they require pit stops, driver changes, etc.. The approach is very different in these races.

Just a few thoughts for the longer races:

1) Get yourself in shape. Strive to feel fresh the entire time you are driving, don't just survive your shift(s). Better physical fitness will allow for better concentration, letting you hit your marks lap after lap. Hydration begins about 3-4 days before the race, pump yourself full of fluids early, not just on race day.

2) Make sure the ergonomics work for all drivers, and test this over some extended driving sessions. This cost my team an overall win in a 6 hr race this season when I had back spasms and could not take one of my shifts. We traced the problem back to a seat adjustment we made to accomodate my co-driver that seemed OK to me during a brief test but over an extended drive messed up my back. Emergency fill in driver never drove the car before and had an off, blowing a 3 lap lead. Had to settle for a class win. Won't make this mistake again.

3) Know your fuel mileage and plan your pit schedule accordingly. Then have a contingency in case things change (full course caution, driver fatigue, etc.).

4) Plan each pit stop ahead of time. Know when tires will be changed. Know the role of each crew member. Practice ahead of time, including the diver change. Refueling is the botteneck in most pit stops (assuming stock fuel systems), do whatever the rules permit to speed this up.

5) Use a radio to communicate with your pit.

6) It's not a sprint race, find and enduro pace that may be 1-2 seconds slower. Mechanical sympothy matters in a long race and will have a big effect on your tires. Knowing you can revert back to sprint pace if you need it is a good thing, not so good if the car or tires are used up when you need to call on them. Short shifting will not only help the engine but help fuel mileage. If you can avoid a pit stop that is far more important than the 1-2 seconds you gave up on pace. Was it Alain Prost who said the obective of a race is to win at the slowest pace possible?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

65 minutes is a sprint race, drive it as such.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With a 65 minute enduro, I'm guessing you won't need or require a pitstop.

As mentioned, make yourself as comfortable as possible in the car. Cool suit if temps call for sweating. A drink bottle system is very helpful to stay hydrated.

65 minutes isn't that bad. Just pace yourself and try to stay on track and pamper the car to make it last. Make sure all race prep is done to insure the car, too, can go the distance. Enough gas, topped off oil, etc.

A clock in the car can also be helpful, so you'll know exactly where you are during the timed session; helpful for maintaining your sanity. If a pit stop is required, a second stopwatch in the car is also very useful. Most PCA pitstops have a 5 minute minimum. Start the timer when you cross the pit entry line. And then manage your pit departure to get you as close to 5 minutes at the pit exit line.

If doing a pitstop, practice getting in and out of the car. May be more challenging to work the belts with a helmet on; if so make sure your helper knows how to work the belts, too.

Just stay calm, and don't let your emotions make you do something dumbass. A clock in the car is also helpful to guage when you might pick up your pace during the last part of the session; say 15-30 minutes or so.

Also, an in-car lap timer is very helpful to give you feedback on your pace.

It'll be fun!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
So your plan is to find a spot on the track and run alone (hopefully up front) and then ease off a bit to save the car to the end.
I'm not saying you should go "flat out" the entire race, but being out there by yourself is boring. You might as well be at a DE. It is much more fun, and the time passes more quickly, if you are actively engaged in either trying to pass someone or trying to defend.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

If you race in a competitive class, its a 90 minute sprint race. I did my fastest lap at the '08 Lime Rock enduro on 2nd to last lap. Clench and go.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for. So your plan is to find a spot on the track and run alone (hopefully up front) and then ease off a bit to save the car to the end.

This particular enduro is 65 min. long
I'm with Sean and Colin, 65 minutes there is only one strategy, run ***** to the wall 100% of the time.. 90 minutes is the same, beyond that I have no experience..
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my first enduro about a month ago. It was 90 min and I did not need a driver change. I found my self running as hard as a sprint and found that the guys I was trying to pass were running as hard as a sprint. it was ***** out. every lap. it really was not any different. I agree once you get beyond 90 min I think you have to apply the smooth, consistent approach. but 65 min is a sprint. just grip it and rip it as in golf.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good Info guys. I'm also considering a 4 hr. enduro later in the year. Thinking 1 other driver. Correct thinking?

My biggest concern is the car making it to the end. I think once you get into a groove, it's not a big deal.

Quick Reply: So how exactly do you run an enduro?