Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stacker Breaks Loose From RV Last Night....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stacker Breaks Loose From RV Last Night....

One of my friends on their way late last night to this weekend's races at Buttonwillow. Large late model Fleetwood RV rated to pull 15k and the hitch welds broke loose from the frame on the I-5 northbound near the grapevine. Apparently the welds were only spot welded! Remarkably no one was killed or injured. The 3-axel stacker's trailer brakes did their job and stopped the trailer in a straight line, it never left it's lane. Unfortunately, there was a 18-wheeler behind them who couldn't stop in time and whacked the trailer pretty good. They had the trailer towed to the track and I'm leaving my hotel now and will post some pics when I can. 1 cup car inside and we'll see if it's OK when the sun comes up shortly...

Proabably a good idea to check the hitch welds/bolts on any vehicle that's hauling a trailer. It's a miracle that no one was injured. He kept calling me every half-hour in a state of shock thinking about what could have happened if the trailer had jumper the center barrier.....
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW!! Glad/Luck no one was hurt.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Step back, and THANK your lucky stars!

Spot welds on 15K rating? Must have been some Big Boy welds...

Any warning signs before it gave way?

Thank goodness nobody was injured.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! I'm on my way out to check my hitch...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Lane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to a friend of mines coach this year with a stacker trailer. I'm pretty sure his is a Fleetwood, could be wrong though. Thankfully his didn't come completely off thanks to a car passing him and flagged him down. The hitch tore at the welds.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

same thing happened to me earlier this year in my 2003 Monaco... with 10k trailer.. I was lucky and happened to stop the coach to check something else and while I was inspecting everything which I do each time stop .. I noticed the hitch looked very low...the weld was almost completely broken... I was 1 mile from Interstate 84 in NY... usually travel it at 70 - 75 mph... I was very lucky .. so now it is part of the daily inspection
Old 11-13-2010, 01:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Lucky Dogs

What about the safety chains? Were they on the hitch side of the welds?
So did they ticket the semi driver for following to close?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
One of my friends on their way late last night to this weekend's races at Buttonwillow. Large late model Fleetwood RV rated to pull 15k and the hitch welds broke loose from the frame on the I-5 northbound near the grapevine. Apparently the welds were only spot welded! Remarkably no one was killed or injured. The 3-axel stacker's trailer brakes did their job and stopped the trailer in a straight line, it never left it's lane. Unfortunately, there was a 18-wheeler behind them who couldn't stop in time and whacked the trailer pretty good. They had the trailer towed to the track and I'm leaving my hotel now and will post some pics when I can. 1 cup car inside and we'll see if it's OK when the sun comes up shortly...

Proabably a good idea to check the hitch welds/bolts on any vehicle that's hauling a trailer. It's a miracle that no one was injured. He kept calling me every half-hour in a state of shock thinking about what could have happened if the trailer had jumper the center barrier.....

Unbelievable .. all very lucky ...............................
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

same thing happened at the Glen club race last year. guy got to the gate and said "will my stacker get through the tunnel okay?" guy at the gate said "what stacker". It had come off on the hill on the way up to the Glen and rolled harmlessly off to the side of road.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

I also heard a story like this once before. In that case it was a large tag-along trailer behind an RV, and the guy did not have equalizer bars. Apparently the RV was rated such that it didn't require them, so he didn't use them. The problem was that at that weight, he was far exceeding the hitch's capacity without the equalizer bars ...

Scott
Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, JR, your buddy got very lucky.

I have heard many of these stories involving RV's or toter homes with hitches. A number of them have happened to folks I know. Seems there is a major weakness in these sorts of vehicles is a hitch allegedly rated for 15,000 pounds is merely spot welded.

Anyone here a tort lawyer?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Very fortunate, especially on the Grapevine!!! I don't even want to think what could have happened if that trailer got lose on that downhill section.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:01 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lane
Same thing happened to a friend of mines coach this year with a stacker trailer. I'm pretty sure his is a Fleetwood, could be wrong though. Thankfully his didn't come completely off thanks to a car passing him and flagged him down. The hitch tore at the welds.
Lane, you were thinking the same thing as me when you clicked on this thread title.....!?!?!?!

But no, Doc's coach is an American Eagle but you know, the chassis prepare companies could very well be the same before final fitments and branding.

Same thing though.....spot welds only.

T
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, JR, your buddy got very lucky.

I have heard many of these stories involving RV's or toter homes with hitches. A number of them have happened to folks I know. Seems there is a major weakness in these sorts of vehicles is a hitch allegedly rated for 15,000 pounds is merely spot welded.

Anyone here a tort lawyer?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Yup - pretty common with the big RV's. I have heard too many similar incidents.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Lane, you were thinking the same thing as me when you clicked on this thread title.....!?!?!?!

But no, Doc's coach is an American Eagle but you know, the chassis prepare companies could very well be the same before final fitments and branding.

Same thing though.....spot welds only.

T
American Eagle is a Fleetwood Brand kinda like Chevy is to GM.

Quick Reply: Stacker Breaks Loose From RV Last Night....