Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many cup cars for sale........

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but why are there so many cup cars on sale at very "reasonable" prices?

Are cup guys dying to upgrade, or could there be other reasons........

like the state of the current economy and the cost of running cup cars?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Excuse my ignorance, but why are there so many cup cars on sale at very "reasonable" prices?

Are cup guys dying to upgrade, or could there be other reasons........

like the state of the current economy and the cost of running cup cars?

Yup.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Most that I know are just upgrading or updating what they have.

Last edited by Glen; 11-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Knowing what I now know I wish I had done this earlier, if I had a bit more cash sitting around I'd pick up another one...you can get a solid cup for what a RSAmerica or C2 race car was going for just a little while ago...
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by analogmike
Hey Glen!

Is the new car faster than your modified '07?

Hope to see you on track, you should rule the Patron series.
Thanks Mike,

I dont know yet, I bought a Gold series car and am on the list to get a new one but wont know if I get one until late dec. Wanted to make sure and get set to run the series regardless...

Wait list is HUGE now so in regards to the economy I guess tough times help new Cup sales, lol.

Dont think I will be ruling anything , talent is tremendous now especially at the front of the field, I will be happy just to be competitive. Its got me motivated to try to work on my driving though and thats exciting for me again.

Think I sold the other a bit cheap but its special to me. I did it the way I wanted it and it was very cool. Best car ive ever owned for sure. Absolutely trouble free. New owner will love it for sure.

The 6 is great to teach with and still great fun to drive, bulletproof and very forgiving as You know. We call the 6 Cups a Lexus and the 7's a baby RSR...

Was going to plug the RSR engine in the 7 but now Im just going to focus on the series and try to clean up my mistakes. Ideally will run in the support race for the F1 race in Austin whenever that gets all set. That would be the best.

Take Your 08 and run the 24. The 3.8 update is dirt cheap right now!

Best,
G
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Glen, congrats on the sale, the new car, and going Patron!

Dave, Thanks!

BTW, picture of You and Your daughter that Mel showed me was just beautiful! I know You realize what a blessing she is.
Congrats!
G
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Dave, Thanks!

BTW, picture of You and Your daughter that Mel showed me was just beautiful! I know You realize what a blessing she is.
Congrats!
G
I do. And thank you.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
I listen to and trust the guys that have owned them like Glen and guys that own and work on them like Dan Jacobs. I guess you believe what you want to believe.
I believe that Glen has had few problems with his cars as he is very smooth and from what he says, seems to have that mechanical sympathy for the car. Dan and I have talked about the difference between Cup cars & street GT3s. Maybe we should get on a conference call?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I believe that Glen has had few problems with his cars as he is very smooth and from what he says, seems to have that mechanical sympathy for the car. Dan and I have talked about the difference between Cup cars & street GT3s. Maybe we should get on a conference call?
Probably no need for the CC. Obviously I'm a bit biased in this discussion, but do know there are quite a few myths that surround these cars. A few posters had responded that the running costs are massive and are a deterrent to ownership. Find the right car and that does not have to be the case. I've only owned my Cup for one year so perhaps my answer will be different after next season.

With that said, I did my homework, spoke to the Cup gurus, and have not been disappointed. Like I said earlier, you believe what (or who) you want to believe.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I'll offer another perspective on this one. I see the difference between the street GT3 and GT3 cup as the same difference between the street 964 and 964 cup. If you are racing, the operating costs area really the same in my view. The only real difference is the cost of crashing or damaging a special "cup only" part. The special cup PMNA parts can get really expensive really quickly. If you have a wiring harness issue, it's gonna cost you in a cup. Break an upright, its gonna cost you. Need to retub a cup? You are probably screwed (and the chassis is a large part of the the value of a cup). Need to retub a street car? Lots of donor cars. With 6 cups, there are so many that this is less of an issue currently, but in another 10 years, I suspect you will see more parts shortages.

One reason I think you see more frequent engine rebuilds on cups is that power differences are far more noticeable in a spec class than in the alphabet, mutli-model classes.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I would totally agree with Glen on this. I've owned raced and maintained Porsche race cars of all stripes.
The watercooled cups continue to amaze me with their reliability and low cost of maintenance. In my experience a 6 cup is cheaper to run then a 6 GT3 street car ( I've owned both) I'm a giant fan. I don't think you can break them with an axe. Love these cars
Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Glen,

I will call you about the 3.8 upgrade for my Grand Am car, it's running well but who wouldn't want more power and a fresh engine? Now Musante's car is faster in a straight line (I have 420hp to the rear wheels but a lot of weight) and my tires go away faster, so 450+ HP would be nice!

I am thinking of trading the GTC4 car for a 6 cup for running SCCA again. The 7 cup is sort of homeless there (GT1!!)
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by analogmike
Glen,

I will call you about the 3.8 upgrade for my Grand Am car, it's running well but who wouldn't want more power and a fresh engine? Now Musante's car is faster in a straight line (I have 420hp to the rear wheels but a lot of weight) and my tires go away faster, so 450+ HP would be nice!

I am thinking of trading the GTC4 car for a 6 cup for running SCCA again. The 7 cup is sort of homeless there (GT1!!)
If Your car has a cell and is IMSA spec I have several people who may be interested. Glad to send my 6 Your way towards the car but of course its had a lick but been fixed right.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wish there was a way to get a cup car...cheap...and put a stock street gt3 engine (or 993/964...) and just have an affordable DE car (any chance it could be street legal?).

JB
Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Probably no need for the CC. Obviously I'm a bit biased in this discussion, but do know there are quite a few myths that surround these cars. A few posters had responded that the running costs are massive and are a deterrent to ownership. Find the right car and that does not have to be the case. I've only owned my Cup for one year so perhaps my answer will be different after next season.

With that said, I did my homework, spoke to the Cup gurus, and have not been disappointed. Like I said earlier, you believe what (or who) you want to believe.
Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
I would totally agree with Glen on this. I've owned raced and maintained Porsche race cars of all stripes.
The watercooled cups continue to amaze me with their reliability and low cost of maintenance. In my experience a 6 cup is cheaper to run then a 6 GT3 street car ( I've owned both) I'm a giant fan. I don't think you can break them with an axe. Love these cars
I think that we are closer on this than you realize. I also did not state that the maintenance costs on an 996 Cup are staggering, and the mechanical differences between it and a GT3 are slight, but there still is the additional strain on the cup car from the slicks, short gears, etc. and the cost and longevity of R6s are much greater than slicks. That said, I acquiesse to your empirical experience.

Quick Reply: So many cup cars for sale........