Sebring video

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Sebring video

I've been instructing with a couple PCA regions for a few months, and enjoyed my first day instructing for Chin yesterday. They are a great group and I have fun every time I run with them.

My student was a novice having only one previous track day under his belt. He was really a natural. I couldn't believe how well he did having been on track only one previous time. His car was a Mini Cooper S with Continental slicks. (yea usually bad for a novice, but this guy handled the car really nicely). The guy is an ex pro bike rider (even rode with Lance Armstrong), so I'm sure the bike control skills he possessed translated somewhat to driving because I've never seen a novice driver progress as quickly as this guy, and I was really impressed with the Mini-that car handles like a go cart!

Anyhow, I would like some critique of my driving. In particular I'm having brake overheating issues and since I've done everything I know to do in terms of brake cooling, I'm thinking I'm probably over-braking and need to go for a bit more speed through the corners? I've got a GT3 master cylinder, Brembo brake fluid (same boiling point as Castrol SRF), ss brake lines, pagid pads, and GT2 ducts. I'm running Pilot sport cups. I don't know what else to do other than maybe ease off my brakes a bit and try to carry a bit more speed through the corners. Any help appreciated.

BTW at the end of this video you can see where I barely made the turn at 7 and 10 due to by brake pedal going soft. I pitted as soon as I felt that, and didn't go back out again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J77dYNgFmaE
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Video is private.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, fixed it.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe try Endless RF-650 brake fluid? That's what the F1 boys use...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_oSHMzGXXM

At the end of the clip there is a car that went into the tire wall, and there was some debris on the track which I had to maneuver through. Everyone was ok. BTW, I meant to stop the clip short of that accident, out of respect to that driver. Should I take this down? Or is it ok given the fact that you can't see any detail?

Last edited by Mark Dreyer; 11-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Mark, not sure how you have your car set up, and without data it's hard to say, but it appears you are overbraking in several areas, which may be overloading your brakes. These include 1 and 5, 10, and probably 15. Also, which Pagids? Perhaps you are using a too-aggressive pad for the PSC's, and they're overheating?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm using the pagid yellows, which Ron Zitza ordered for me. I need to get one of those data recorders. That's next on my "mod list". Thanks for the input. I'll try to brake a bit less through those turns next weekend. I know turn 5 is dicey in that I don't feel like I'm carrying enough speed, yet the car seems to unsettle a bit even at the speed I'm carrying. My student in the mini went through that turn faster than I do in my car.

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I'm using the pagid yellows, which Ron Zitza ordered for me. I need to get one of those data recorders. That's next on my "mod list". Thanks for the input. I'll try to brake a bit less through those turns next weekend. I know turn 5 is dicey in that I don't feel like I'm carrying enough speed, yet the car seems to unsettle a bit even at the speed I'm carrying. My student in the mini went through that turn faster than I do in my car.

I know Ron well--he's good people.

Hmm. What suspension set up? Are you in ABS a lot?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bilstein PSS9, just had it aligned by the guru at the local dealer, and I believe the setting is 6 in back and 3 in front. (although I may have that backwards-I'm not clear on how to set that up, although he is experienced and is familiar with how to align for Sebring). I'm not in the ABS much.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Bilstein PSS9, just had it aligned by the guru at the local dealer, and I believe the setting is 6 in back and 3 in front. (although I may have that backwards-I'm not clear on how to set that up, although he is experienced and is familiar with how to align for Sebring). I'm not in the ABS much.

Does your car have PSM or any other sort of stability management system? If so, is it on when you are on track?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, it doesn't have any electronic nannies other than ABS.

One thing may or may not be related. At Roebling Road, I spun out at turn 7. Zitza happened to be there and he obliged my request to take me for a couple laps, and he almost spun in the same spot. He said there was some sort of ABS interference causing that. I don't recall the exact explanation. I'm wondering if something similar is going on at 5 at Sebring?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harder on the brakes initially, then back off brake pressure towards the end of the brake zone... and brake less. I think you may be turning in too late and hard into the carousel which is why it feels dicey. An earlier, slower turn-in might help with that. If you will be at pca next weekend and have more questions you can come find me. black miata, yellow numbers.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks LD. I'll come say hi.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 764 Posts

Hi Mark,

I did not even know anyone crashed? Was this yesterday? Anyway nothing wrong with posting it, not license plate, etc.

I passed you at 4:46 ;-) at Bishop bend.
I must say we had a fantastic Chin day, sunny, cool and everyone was pointing by a mile away..
Too bad there where these little racecars, that had trouble pointing by, blew up and crashed off black flagging 2-3+? sessions.

Just to be safe use SRF.

My 0.02; I think you can be harder on the brakes and use the inside curbs a lot more, maybe use brakes to rotate the car more?
I'm no race car driver. Your line through 4-5 is interesting, but I think not the fast line.

But my best advice is getting data out of the car with a race keeper, traqmate etc. and coach for the weekend that knows the data system you have.
I did this weekend and he took me from 2:22's (with shacky hands after the session) to pretty relaxed 2:20's while beating up the car much less. With more track time and less traffic I think I would have found a 2:19 on Toyo's.
I learned a lot this weekend that I will apply on every race track for less then a set of new tires. I will post a few laps in the coming days..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I did this weekend and he took me from 2:22's (with shacky hands after the session) to pretty relaxed 2:20's while beating up the car much less. With more track time I think I would ghave found a 2:19 on Toyo's.

I learned a lot this weekend that I will apply on every race track for less then a set of new tires.

This is a HUGE point that I always coach towards: letting the car do more of the work (and the driver less) by helping it go where it wants to go.

Quick Reply: Sebring video