Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring video

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought the description sounded familiar... I had Scott as a student for his first weekend.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

He's a class act and I enjoyed the time in the car with him. He'll be solo before long if he decides to stay with the hobby. He said his wife would have to check off on that. :-)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

This is what I learned last weekend..

Going FLATOUT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw4_Pw_yu5U

Best time 2:206 (Still uploading.), I think a 2:19 was possible, but I think the RA1’s overheat a bit after 6 laps or so..
Tires Toyo RA1 date stamp 2007 245/40/18 and 335/30/18.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Peter,

Niiiiicce...you'll be in the high teens, as you should be, soon.

I'm adding Hoosier Slicks (hopefully will gain 2 seconds) and Moton's (hopefully will gain .5-1.0 seconds plus..maybe) this might allow me to better my 2:23.6 down to 2:20.6!!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Finally upoaded my best lap at Sebring to date: 2:206 + a few 2:21's assing cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LsKITTHSA
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Racin44
Advanced

My $.02.
Mark, I think you are over-slowing at several places, getting back to the gas too late. I'd agree that this includes 1, 10, 13 and to a lesser degree, 15. An earlier and controlled release from the brake pedal will help. Also, get tighter through turn 1 at the apex. You are never getting up against the wall (at least from the camera perspective I see), and you are hitting your "apex" a bit too early, causing you to not have the right amount of track out available to you as you head for turns 2/3. Approaching turn five, I think your line is OK until you should be turning in more for the apex. They placed a cone pretty much where I aim for there, and this will once again give you more track out room as you head for the walk-over bridge, allowing you to get back to full throttle harder and sooner. For me, it's a quick tap of the brake pedal there as I come off throttle to rotate the car, and then back to the gas as I get going towards the apex...
Things I would do to address the brake overheating issue include making sure that the fluid is absolutely fresh, and that the system has been properly and completely flushed through. I'd also use a fluid such as Motul RBF600 or RBF660. This is pretty much the only fluid we put in cars at my shop. Also, make sure that your rear pads are a correct match for your fronts. There are times we've seen a car with much more front brake pad torque than what is being used in the rear, which causes the fronts to do too much of the work, leading to overheated fluid, or overheating the pad in certain but more rare instances. If you do these things and get the braking technique honed a bit, I think your problems will go away. If not, you have to start looking at mechanical issues with the brakes. Some temperature paint on your rotors front and rear might help you tell what's happening.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Finally upoaded my best lap at Sebring to date: 2:206 + a few 2:21's assing cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LsKITTHSA

Peter, some very nice laps. I see a few things that may help you. Among them: you seem a bit late to gas every lap in 1. Also, why not go down to 2nd gear for 7? Look how low your revs are coming out of there in 3rd--I think it is hurting your exit speed and thus segment speed/times all the way to 10. Very nice through Bishops Bend, however!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Racin44: He said he uses SRF fluid which is almost hands down the best. It doesn't even need to be perfectly fresh as it's wet boiling point is almost the same as it's dry. That is the reason it is so good... and expensive. I'll stick to rbf600 myself, but for those who can afford srf more power to them.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't have as much problem with the brakes today after the new SRF was put into the system. They still got a bit soft a time or two late in the sessions so I think I am overbraking. I'm still struggling with the carousel. Here is some footage (not sure why things seem so "jiggly" in the video-it wasn't that way in the car at least not that I was aware of). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwnU1sRe1I
Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Racin44
Advanced

LD, I'm of a bit of a different opinion, and as Mark just noted above, fresh fluid is always best.
I believe that your brake fluid should always be fresh, and I also believe that fresh Motul RBF600/660 is just as good as fresh SRF. SRF will probably maintain a higher boiling point temperature longer than Motul, but if we go back to my statement concerning fresh brake fluid, (possibly) backed up by Mark's observations with fresh brake fluid put in his car, the cost of SRF doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately, I'm sure you've noticed that Motul is learning that they can charge more for their fluid too. Especially the 660... Ugh.

Mark, concerning the difference in your brake performance, what was the difference in ambient temperature? Might that have played a roll as well?

Nick R.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ambient temperature was similar or if anything a bit warmer. I'm not 100% sure any better brake performance was due to the fluid since I was making an effort to carry a bit more speed through corners. A track friend who also drives a Boxster has upgraded his rotors to 993 TT parts. He said that makes a big difference.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Peter, some very nice laps. I see a few things that may help you. Among them: you seem a bit late to gas every lap in 1. Also, why not go down to 2nd gear for 7? Look how low your revs are coming out of there in 3rd--I think it is hurting your exit speed and thus segment speed/times all the way to 10. Very nice through Bishops Bend, however!
VR Thanks for the comments. That's why I post this stuff. I'm learning a lot!
T1 - I'm scared of the corner, I leave a little too much room at the wall to the left and too slow on the throttle, I know I lose some time and fully agree with you, but I don't want to be 10/10th. there. Other corners too, I told my coach I have to be able to repeat lap after lap well within my ability and build it slowly. Spinning, driving of the track are not an option, can't happen, 2 ft left on track out gives me some room for error. I have to drive it to work on Monday. So I see it as if I am driving 10 hour endurence within my ability, not qualifying. I might find a little time at the limit in most corners, but it would not be repeatable consistently and safely. I've spun once ever, T10 at Homestead. That was enough.

T7, It feels like you are right, but I tried hard in 2nd, even when I thought I nailed in 2nd, 3rd is faster according to Traqmate (You see I'm a slow shifter), my shift points are earlier to 4th and 5th on my way to 10, or at least the same and I feel like I beat less on the car.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Here is some footage (not sure why things seem so "jiggly" in the video-it wasn't that way in the car at least not that I was aware of).
Mark, make sure you have the image stabelizing stuff all off on the video recorder. That fixed it for me. Can you get a wide angle lens, then we could see your hands and legs?
You lines seem fine, it seems like you could carry more speed almost everywhere, but hard to tell without seeing you inputs..
Sorry for hyjacking your post ;-)

Quick Reply: Sebring video