Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried Hoosier slicks this weekend for 1st time.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like fun!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

They're taller than the normal R specs Henk so you have to choose the width of the tyre carefully to allow clearance...if that makes sense.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
HJK
Pro

I'm in the middle of it. Just received the new Goodyear RS in 245/35x18 and 275/35x18, with a treadwear of "40" going to fit them tomorrow on the car and check for clearance. Noticed that this 245 is 2inch wider then the current 235 NT01 ! Then the race of the year coming up 12/13/14 November on street circuit. http://www.bangsaengrandprix.org/index_eng.html

here's some footage I use to learn the track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDDiHp3duA

will let you know.

H

thanks for the vid.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

in my 2500lb BMW (2700lb with driver) I like 31-32psi hot front, 30psi hot rear for the R80/100
Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Heads up... back in the day when I first tried Hoosiers on my 951 I drove to an AX on them. They were brand new tires. Flat spotted them in the mid afternoon. On the very next run, blowout on one of the flat spotted front tires. Years later my wife spun on track on a fresh set during a time trial. Flat spotted one of the fronts. It had 4 heat cycles on it-- pretty new tire. I checked the tire and the flat spot went all the way to the cord. Back then the tires had no steel belts... that may still be true. I suggest a careful exam of all flat-spotted Hoosiers.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HJK
I'm in the middle of it. Just received the new Goodyear RS in 245/35x18 and 275/35x18, with a treadwear of "40" going to fit them tomorrow on the car and check for clearance. Noticed that this 245 is 2inch wider then the current 235 NT01 ! Then the race of the year coming up 12/13/14 November on street circuit. http://www.bangsaengrandprix.org/index_eng.html

here's some footage I use to learn the track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDDiHp3duA

will let you know.

H

thanks for the vid.
Henk, those Goodyears are not the same as a full on slick. Both in construction and size. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, just that they're more the same size as R specs at least in terms of rolling radius.

I'm not really a fan of road circuits as a spectacle. They do look very testing and not one to make mistakes on with all the barriers.
Good luck!!

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
in my 2500lb BMW (2700lb with driver) I like 31-32psi hot front, 30psi hot rear for the R80/100
Thanks Joseph. I figure with my car I'll be heading more towards the 33-34psi region. So are you running the R80 f and R100 rear? I figured that would be more suited to a rear engined Porsche rather than our more 50/50 cars. That's why I've opted for R80s all round. Do you find that the R100s take noticeably longer to reach heat?

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Heads up... back in the day when I first tried Hoosiers on my 951 I drove to an AX on them. They were brand new tires. Flat spotted them in the mid afternoon. On the very next run, blowout on one of the flat spotted front tires. Years later my wife spun on track on a fresh set during a time trial. Flat spotted one of the fronts. It had 4 heat cycles on it-- pretty new tire. I checked the tire and the flat spot went all the way to the cord. Back then the tires had no steel belts... that may still be true. I suggest a careful exam of all flat-spotted Hoosiers.
Are you talking about A/R6 Hoosier DOTs or the full slick?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i bought my tires as used takeoffs, so I took what I could get. they were a combination, mostly R100s. obviously they already had a few heat cycles, but I still thought they were good and I ran my fastest times on them. I couldn't tell any difference b/w R80 or R100
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry, the street legal sticky tires-- I now see from context that you may be talking about full slicks. I have run the Hoosier bias ply full slicks, but not their radials. With any of these tires, as you know they like to repeatedly flat spot at the same place, and I like to check to make sure that they are not corded in that spot. When the street legal tires came out, many were caught out by the fact that they only had fiberglass belts and were relatively fragile compared to other street legal sticky tires. I saw a lot of cars have blow outs in these early days when they were first introduced. I run Goodyear slicks (have done for 9 years) and my experience with the the Hoosier street legal sticky tires with my 951 has helped me respect the fragility of the Goodyears in terms of flat spots and things like rocks (sharp rocks can easily cause punctures).
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
i bought my tires as used takeoffs, so I took what I could get. they were a combination, mostly R100s. obviously they already had a few heat cycles, but I still thought they were good and I ran my fastest times on them. I couldn't tell any difference b/w R80 or R100
Hmm, that's interesting about the 2 compounds 'seeming' the same. I wonder in real terms what the differences are? I have found when contacting Hoosier that it's a bit 'tricky' to get a detailed answer even though they do respond quite quickly.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Sorry, the street legal sticky tires-- I now see from context that you may be talking about full slicks. I have run the Hoosier bias ply full slicks, but not their radials. With any of these tires, as you know they like to repeatedly flat spot at the same place, and I like to check to make sure that they are not corded in that spot. When the street legal tires came out, many were caught out by the fact that they only had fiberglass belts and were relatively fragile compared to other street legal sticky tires. I saw a lot of cars have blow outs in these early days when they were first introduced. I run Goodyear slicks (have done for 9 years) and my experience with the the Hoosier street legal sticky tires with my 951 has helped me respect the fragility of the Goodyears in terms of flat spots and things like rocks (sharp rocks can easily cause punctures).
Yes, I'm talking about the full Radial slick. I flat spotted one of these brand new ones and slid across the gators which left a couple of raised areas within the flat spot. I finished the lap (at a slower pace) and came in. I could only feel the flat spot while turning left but I've ordered another tyre as I wouldn't risk going out on this one.

I wonder if tyres can't be shaved to reduce or remove a minor flat spot?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
HJK
Pro

I'd just have them balanced and see how it goes, if it ain't to cumbersome driving them (vibration) i'd use them a bit more. After that you could still shave a bit. My 2c

Quick Reply: Tried Hoosier slicks this weekend for 1st time.