Sponsored by:

First AutoX ever.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
A6 hoosiers can gain more than 10psi on a hot day from cold to hot and you will have to adjust them and even pour water on them after runs to keep them at the sweet spot area.
it is not a requirement, it is a necessity. with less demanding r-comps it is way easier, so if one runs on v710 or r888 - it really may be 'set it and forget it' thing after they get into optimal pressure range after first run. but not so on A6if you want to get best possible time out of them.
The "changes" you see people doing on r-comps is more in the mindset of keeping them consistent (pressure & temperature). For instance I'm touching my slicks (Hoosier R25B's) after nearly ever run, but I almost always am just resetting the pressures back to my baseline, not actually changing my baseline pressures.

Non-slicks gain MUCH less heat over the course of the day, and as such, gain MUCH less pressure. Thus most people on street tires don't really even need to touch them over the course of the day. This will even more so be the case for a novice.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
I'm touching my slicks (Hoosier R25B's) after nearly ever run....
Why do you prefer R25B to A6? Is it a price considerations, or something else as well?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Why do you prefer R25B to A6? Is it a price considerations, or something else as well?
Size availability. Can't buy the A6 in a 18.0 x 7.5-10 (They're for my F500. I ran A6's on the 944 back when I autox'ed that).
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

(Less thinking, much less worrying, sunscreen or a raincoat, and lots of patience)
And
Must walk the course several times. As you do, imagine not just the line, but also where you will be looking as you drive. Strive to look way ahead. At the first cone of a slalom, look to the last cone. As you apex a curve, turn your head, not just your eyes, to the next apex, and do your best to keep your concentration at that next "trick". Successful auto x'ers don't focus on the next cone, but their next "destination". "Eyes up" is a trick to stay ahead of the course.

Try not to compare your time to others'---different cars and different experiences, and all--but compare each of your run times for improvement.

AX is surprisingly difficult, but a terrific learning experience--IF you can put up with driving 5 minutes a day.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I just signed up for my first Autocross...unfortunately the last one of the year.

#1 Tell the organizers that you are nervous, ask for an experienced instructor to help you.
#2 have fun.
#3 consider taping the front of your car and rear stoneguard hips if cone scars will bum you out.
#4 white liquid shoe polish works better than chalk to mark tire rollover, (determining proper air pressure)
#5 hang out after the event, pick up the cones, drink beverages and BS with the "boys", you'll learn nearly as much there as you did while driving.

Craig
Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

So Autocross complete....what a blast. We got six runs in...but I could have handled 50 more.

You can say what you want...but this is a crap load more fun than anything else you can do for $30. Met a lot of great people and had fun looking at some good driving. The advice on this thread was spot on.

Runs:
1. DNF (missed one gate) 2. 103s 3. 109s 4. 100s 5. 98.5s 6. 98.0s

(Fastest time of the day was 88s in a heavily modified 914. C4S in my class posted a 94s run.

For all other newbies that come across this thread.
So I bought some numbers (reusable vinyl)
got a new Bell SA2010 "Sport" helmet (from ApexPerformance).
Painters Tape
No chalk (just looked at scuffing on the tire - but I can see how this would make it easier)
Air pump
Air Gauge
Small cooler with water, granola bars and some sandwiches.
Chair (never sat in it)
Rubbermaid container for all my stuff.
Removed everything before heading down there (Floor Mats, misc items).
Checked Torque on wheels the night before
Checked and adjusted air pressure the night before
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

A good friend of mine, Wes Walter, lives in Atlanta and I think was at the same AX as you. He drives a blue RS America and probably was number 40. Next time you do an AX you should look for him. He has been doing these for quite a while and would be happy to discuss the course and make suggestions on car setup, line, etc.

Quick Reply: First AutoX ever.