Sponsored by:

paint safe double sided tape? Aim GPS beacon

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
Default paint safe double sided tape? Aim GPS beacon

I ran my smarty cam gps beacon out onto the roof, through the old radio antenna hole. I put blue painters tape under it temporarily. Is there a paint safe double sided tape? I've had bad luck in the past relying just on the magnet.

Thanks!
David
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

An auto parts store (NAPA, Autozone, etc) should carry double sided tape used for body mouldings and badges/emblems (usually 3M brand, but there are others) that is paint/clearcoat safe.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You could also use double sided servo tape, used by radio control folks to hold servos without hardware (if there is a hobby shop close by).
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use the 3M command system as well. The tape strips come loose in the package and you can mount most anything that is flat and smooth to the same. This lets you remove the device without pulling, twisting or tools. Any home or hardware store should have them. If the tabs pull off or you cut them off I found that you can get the tape to release by twisting slowly but firmly, letting the tape release on its own time.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I ran my smarty cam gps beacon out onto the roof, through the old radio antenna hole. I put blue painters tape under it temporarily. Is there a paint safe double sided tape? I've had bad luck in the past relying just on the magnet.

Thanks!
David
You must be way faster than me (not too surprisingly, considering your car), but I have never had a magnet failure with the AIM GPS modules. They use a big magnet in there.
I wonder if the blue tape is the culprit and you could just go without (I haven't seen any scratching from my GPS even on the black paint, which shows everything).
BTW, I keep my module inside now (looking through the windshield or rear window), and it works fine. AIM recommends mounting it on the exterior but I am not seeing any difference.

Last edited by RickBetterley; 11-03-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: More infor
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If you want another option, we used 3M dual lock to hold down the AIM GPS antenna on my son's sprint karts:

http://www.itapestore.com/3mduallock...FcgK2god024cOA

3M Dual Lock: SJ3560; SJ3561; SJ3562
- Clear stems with clear VHB™ adhesive backing
- Indoor/Outdoor use
- UV resistant
- Bonds to many substrates, stronger bond than SJ3540 adhesive, works with vinyl

This is much better and stronger than Velcro. There were never any issues witih damage to the bodywork, paint or graphics when removing them and we never had an issue with losing the antenna....and karts are not exactly a low vibration environemnt.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used the dual lock stuff before for my go kart beacon, and it worked really well. Just concerned over friendliness to paint, but I might try that or the 3m automotive tape; I've used VHB panelling my trailer, but the one I used was way too strong.

Magnets and cars haven't been good to me. I ran the aim gps directly on the paint and it moved enough to scratch it, but it buffed out. On my old 993 I ran magnetic numbers for DE's, and they ended up permanently ghosting the numbers into the door.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not run it to the rear window?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave

I have had good luck with the GPS antenna inside the car on the dash or on the rear shelf under the rear window. I use the 3M dual lock velcro like strips. If up front, I put it in the center of the dash as far forward as you can.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Put a small peice of ventureshield, 3m invisable mask, helocopter tape, etc down then put the tape on there.

Quick Reply: paint safe double sided tape? Aim GPS beacon