Carolinas Challenge PCA Race Recap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010 | 06:10 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Carolinas Challenge PCA Race Recap

Just wanted to start a thread for anyone that would like to post the recap of their weekend at the PCA Club Race at CMP - good, bad or indifferent.

My weekend started out a bit bad, being clipped into T14 on LAP 1 of the first practice!! I would like to commend Steward B or not making a quick decision and taking into account all the evidence/feedback he could to conclude that I was not at fault in this incident. Anyway, the incident bent my rim and cracked my fiberglass fenders and bumper. Zip ties, racer tape, and the backup set of wheels/tires got me back out after lunch.

Then, in the first sprint race, Bill in his SP1 car decided he didn't like me following too close, so he threw his alternator at me! Yep, you read that right, his alternator. Well, I got the best of him - I only had a broken splitter and more damage to my bumper, but he was out! Ha, serves him right for throwing things...

Saturday's first race was fairly uneventful - I started 5th, and ended 5th. Second race on Saturday (third sprint of the weekend) was the Halloween Horror race - also known around PCA racing as a Loonacy race. Inverted & handicapped field. I know some people don't like it, but I think its a blast, especially since we had already done two 'normal' races and I got very little passing/being passed done. I think some tweaking to the format needs to be done, but it was fun anyway. I moved up 14 or 15 spots, so I had lots of passing opportunities.

On Sunday, due to low sign ups and attrition, we combined the two run groups for the enduro. Honestly, there were really only 2-3 cars that were really fast, otherwise it was not bad in speed disparity. I, personally, had an absolute blast in this race, duking it out with Bill Williams in a G class RSA, and Mike McMenamin in very fast a E class Carrera. I followed close behind them for probably 15 laps, gaining and almost passing in some spots, losing ground in others. Finally, I got by both of them - side by side with Bill from T14 all the way back around to the carousel - T5-T7. Mike went wide in T8, I pounced, only to have him pass me back through the kink!.. and honestly, I can't remember how I ended up in front of Mike, but I think he went off somewhere ... unfortunately, my video camera battery died 2 minutes into the race so no video of that great battle.

In the end, I finished all the races - Fun Race, 3 sprints and the enduro. New engine held up well, car ran great, and came home basically in one piece.

Nadine did a ton of work organizing this race, and the countless volunteers and workers did a great job getting us back on track after last year's misstep.

Hopefully all of you that made it had a great time. Without you, there is no racing program. Please tell your friends to come down next year and join us!

Post your own weekend recap. We'd love to hear how everyone's weekend went!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 11-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2010 | 07:44 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Can you post results and time sheets? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:51 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Thanks to you, Nadine, and everyone who helped to put on a great race weekend. We could not have asked for better weather, and I am looking forward to next year.
Old 11-01-2010 | 10:41 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Here are the sheets from the slow group (944 SP split start) and the combined Enduro. Mike McMenamin set a new E class record and pretty much dominated all weekend.

The CMP race was a great time! Thanks to everyone who made it happen. I'll be back next year for sure!
Attached Images     
Old 11-02-2010 | 09:29 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Thanks to Bob, Nadine and all the Carolina region guys for putting on a great event. The weekend went well for us. All of our guys except one (that was involved in the crash in the first GT sprint race) had a great time. My car ran great all weekend and we had some good results. The only down side was seeing how bad the track surface has become. It absolutely ruined tires in an extremely short amount of time. I think it may have been getting worse as the weekend went on. I really hope the track owners decide to repave soon before people quit going. I co-drove the enduro with David Baum in his GTC4 car and totally destroyed a set of tires we put on at the pit stop with only 3 cycles on them. Was circulating 10 seconds a lap slow because the tires had worn to the cords! Was still fun but frustrating at the same time.
Old 11-02-2010 | 11:28 AM
vbcracer
Rennlist Member

Congratulations to Nadine for a very well organized and managed race. She made some big changes that have been needed for a long time. The most important changes were not visible to the racers.
Old 11-02-2010 | 01:27 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad your OK Dick, sorry to see the ol' #96 torn up. Hope it can get back together soon.
Old 11-02-2010 | 06:57 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

The Orlando gang, Mark Peebles, Dave Edwards, Mark Murray, and Fred Beasley had a great time with all walking away with a trophy. It was alittle busy on Friday with only one session between run groups, but we made it. No one got in trouble on the the track other then some oil dumped at turn 8 made some very interesting spins. Thanks to Mr. Puritt. It was not his fault. I believe it was due to the previous mentioned altenator.
Thanks for the great weekend and all the volunteers hard work.
We will be back next year.
Old 11-02-2010 | 11:45 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

I had a great time as well. I've never driven there before, but found it was kind of a mix of Roebling and VIR. The inverted final sprint race was fun!
Old 11-03-2010 | 09:22 AM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default CMP Recap

Thanks to Nadine for a very well organized and managed race. The communications all weekend were excellent.

Thanks to all of the regional volunteers.

Thanks to the PCA National scrutineers that volunteered their time too.
Old 11-13-2010 | 01:47 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Another shout out. Great to meet everyone, fun track, and good results. ChrisM and I have been sharing build info for a few years on Rennlist, and the CMP race weekend was the first time we met (Chris, feel free to share the video). Good to meet Bob, Nadine, Randy, Bob Linville, Allen Shirley, John Taylor, and to see Dan and Baron Jacobs again. First wekend at CMP - can't quite take the kink "Flat Out" yet. I was close - maybe one more weekend.

Carolinas Region - great event. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2010 | 10:30 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbryant61
can't quite take the kink "Flat Out" yet. I was close - maybe one more weekend.
You sure about that?

Don taking the kink flat out!
Old 11-18-2010 | 03:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Chris,
Just saw the video. thanks for posting - never seen video of what my car looks like from behind.
You turned into the Kink too late - look at your apex point. You should almost be hitting the marker posts (but you probably already knew that). If you turn in right, it's not really much of a turn at all. But if you don't....

Now...if I could just be fast like that at Mid Ohio, all would be good!!

Quick Reply: Carolinas Challenge PCA Race Recap