Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is more fun?
Keep the GT3. You'll grow into it.
43.75%
Get a slower, track only car and drive it at the limit.
56.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Which would be more fun? GT3 or Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Firstly where can you go that fast? If I could wind out the GT3 once in 3rd during a drive it was a lot. Secondly it was too low and I was always worried about bashing it over a dip. Thirdly it was stiff and the motor didn't like trundling around; it just wants to run.

The Boxster S is a great street car. Nice close little 6 speed with enough power for 95% of the time. 25~28 mpg on the highway. The optional seats are really comfortable. Top goes down in 20 seconds and with the optional windbreaker screen you can actually run at 75 and have a conversation . You can play games not slowing for ANY corner, and no one else knows but you.

Finally, the GT3 was such a head-turner that I really couldn't leave it anywhere and everyone and their brother wanted to race me; even one nut job in his Ford Bronco. Sheesh, it was stupid.
I don't know Larry, I disagree with a lot of your points on a Boxster v. GT3. At least here in So Cal, if you don't bring it to the track, there are wonderful mountain and canyons to drive the GT3. Any car on the road is too fast for existing speed limits, and a GT3 is boring to drive on the street once you've tracked it, but the sound and weekend canyon carving are fun. My Gt3 gets 24-27 mph on the highway.

I had a convertible in the past and thought that was too much of a head turner. Maybe there are so many nice German cars in So CAL that it doesn't attract as much attention as those in Philly.

I think the stereo type about the average GT3 owner is completely wrong. The image of a baller as VR mentioned is not the reality of the GT3 owners I know. They, like me, look at the GT3 as a track tool, not a status symbol. I can see where they would get that perception that that's really the Turbo guys or C2 guys with aero kits
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07
Hey Gary, any interest in a $100k GT3? I'll even take a few grand off for a fellow Rennlister.
Can I drove your car?.......
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

I have raced a Spec Boxster and the car was an absolute blast to drive. Sure on a long straight you feel like someone should give you a push, but it will stick to just about anything in the twisty sections, and you can keep it on the floor up the climbing esses at VIR.

That said I got to go for a ride in a 2010 GT3RS at Summit Point two days ago the best way to sum it up it using G rated language is WOW! It really is a race car with AC and a Stereo. The owner turned off all the nanny electronics, put it in sport mode with the shocks on firm. The car was bone stock. All he had added was a roll bar, harnesses, some Hoosiers on 18 inch wheels, and Pagid RS29s. It sounds like a Cup car inside, has unbelievable brakes, and goes like stink through the corners. He did a 1:19 according to the G2X with me in the passenger seat. I was speechless and smiling the entire time.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Can I drove your car?.......
I'll be at vir this weekend. If you're there we can definitely talk. (Although didn't you post a video of some lawnmowing at a race a few months back?)

Last edited by kush07; 11-02-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I don't know Larry, I disagree with a lot of your points on a Boxster v. GT3. At least here in So Cal, if you don't bring it to the track, there are wonderful mountain and canyons to drive the GT3.
That's ok, it's why they make chocolate AND vanilla. Maybe if there were great roads like that around here, without all of the frost heaves, dips and potholes I might have felt differently. Then again, if I had enough money to have kept it and gotten the RSA, I'd probably still have it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
That said I got to go for a ride in a 2010 GT3RS at Summit Point two days ago the best way to sum it up it using G rated language is WOW! It really is a race car with AC and a Stereo. The owner turned off all the nanny electronics, put it in sport mode with the shocks on firm. The car was bone stock. All he had added was a roll bar, harnesses, some Hoosiers on 18 inch wheels, and Pagid RS29s. It sounds like a Cup car inside, has unbelievable brakes, and goes like stink through the corners. He did a 1:19 according to the G2X with me in the passenger seat. I was speechless and smiling the entire time.
Mark, sounds like you and I had the same experience. It's quite the thrill ride.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That's ok, it's why they make chocolate AND vanilla. Maybe if there were great roads like that around here, without all of the frost heaves, dips and potholes I might have felt differently. Then again, if I had enough money to have kept it and gotten the RSA, I'd probably still have it.
Can we give this civil exchange to ltc, Raj and A. Wayne as a template?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07

Anyone looking for a White '07 GT3? 7800 miles. Let me know.
Well I have a really sweet RSAmerica/carrera cup replica that is walking out the door at the end of the week, I've got some real mixed feelings about seeing it go...

Fact of the matter is get a car you truely enjoy, and then enjoy driving it, or find a bunch of guys that you enjoy racing and enjoy racing against them...I don't think you can go wrong with the spec box, or a good prepped 911/964...plenty of speed and challenges with either...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I don't know Larry, I disagree with a lot of your points on a Boxster v. GT3. At least here in So Cal, if you don't bring it to the track, there are wonderful mountain and canyons to drive the GT3. Any car on the road is too fast for existing speed limits, and a GT3 is boring to drive on the street once you've tracked it, but the sound and weekend canyon carving are fun. My Gt3 gets 24-27 mph on the highway.

I had a convertible in the past and thought that was too much of a head turner. Maybe there are so many nice German cars in So CAL that it doesn't attract as much attention as those in Philly.

I think the stereo type about the average GT3 owner is completely wrong. The image of a baller as VR mentioned is not the reality of the GT3 owners I know. They, like me, look at the GT3 as a track tool, not a status symbol. I can see where they would get that perception that that's really the Turbo guys or C2 guys with aero kits

i must move to SD.
if i am over 75mph within 35 miles of my house, i get a ticket. i used to get one every month, sometimes 2 a months. i have a traffic lawyer on retainer. i am NOT kidding. then i found track.... i think even if i tracked a cup car, it would still be cheaper than paying the lawyer.

did i mention that the CHP's within 40 miles of thunderhill used to all know me by name?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Fact of the matter is get a car you truely enjoy, and then enjoy driving it, or find a bunch of guys that you enjoy racing and enjoy racing against them...I don't think you can go wrong with the spec box, or a good prepped 911/964...plenty of speed and challenges with either...
+1
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Key words are "you would suspect". So I take it you haven't owned a Spec Box or similar platform to test your theory? I think the point being made be several racers is that the learning curve comes more quickly in a slower platform. You're point about learning more in a faster car is no doubt correct eventually, but for most, the slower car offers a safer and more thorough way of reaching that point....
No SPBox but 10 years of learning and (sometimes)fun seat time in 2150 # 90hp, 912. Went from 24 pounds per HP to 7 pounds per HP in the new car in avatar. I think we are making the same point. You learn plenty in a slower car and just might be able to learn it with less effort but do not learn all there is as the fast (high HP per #) car has aspects that are just not there in full force in the slow (low HP per pound) platform. I was saying going from fast to slow might be harder than slow to fast, not knocking low hp track cars. Learning energy conservation, traction managment and racecraft are all 100% there in a low hp car. I myself would not have been happy going from my present car to the 912. My right leg cramps up from trying to mash the gas pedal through the firewall and I get hoarse yelling "Go,go,go,g-dam-nit!" at the windshield in the '12.

Originally Posted by J richard
Well I have a really sweet RSAmerica/carrera cup replica that is walking out the door at the end of the week, I've got some real mixed feelings about seeing it go...

Agree. There is a seat for every butt. Having others to run with is key IMO.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great advice in this thread. I think the choice really comes down to your budget. I purchased my 6-3 in 2006 as a combination track/weekend toy. It took me all of one track weekend to decide to rent a track garage and make the car a "track-only" vehicle. After 4 years of track events, I am now spending more and more time at the go-kart track learning the art of momentum. Nothing beats the rush of turn-in in my 385hp "3" on the track, but truthfully I have a lot to learn about this car. I like pushing go karts, and then applying that knowledge to the GT3 during my next DE session. The learning never stops.

I also concur with other posters that driving the GT3 on the street is now a let down. Too many repercussions with the law to make street driving any fun. I take the 964 for the spirited "fun runs" and truthfully have a blast. Top-down canyon driving on a Friday night after a long week at work is therapy on wheels..

My $0.02,

-Blake
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

There's really no substitute for a race prepped track car. Lightness, sticky tires, and suspension is very addicting, and the safety aspect speak for itself. I drove a 993 race prepped 993 and a 7-gt3 on track, back to back recently, and the race car was a lot more fun to me. And the cup even more so.

Like many, I started w/ a 993 and gradually prepped it for the track. What I ended up with was a car that wasn't really excellent on either road or track anymore. I didn't neccessarily start out with a slow car, but I did race a 100cc "momentum" kart for two years. That helped a lot. I think the advice to start slower is spot on, and smart on many levels. You can always move up if you get bored!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

by a boxster spec! I looked at this post for a while and had to bite my tongue before deciding to chime in. Not to flame anyone, but why are so many people obsessed with buying fast street or race cars before they actually learn to drive.

You will be 10x's the driver if you start out with a momentum car and learn how to drive it right. In fact, you could buy the boxster and track it without having to put in full cage right away....drive it to the track and if any of your friends OR others make a comment that a boxster is a "girls car" just laugh inside and have fun flying by all the guys in their GT3's and TT's that never learned to drive the right way!!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 224 Posts

Moving to a Boxster which has now become a Spec Box did wonders for my driving compared to the 997 C4S and the Turbo that I have.
The Spec Box is more challenging to drive and at most times more FUN to drive. The car is an amazing cornering machine but with no stability management/TC or even LSD, the car requires respect.
I do miss the crazy thrust of my 997TT at times, but I am very very happy I have the Spec Box now. The Spec Box is a really visceral 'race' car, my 997's are not IMO although I have not owned a GT3.
While I have invested around 35K into my Boxster, I know I am significantly safer and protected if badness happens versus a street car. My wife proved this driving at Calabogie when she and her instructor were unharmed. The car suffered only sheet metal damage. I just bought a rear bumper and driver's door for $700 in the right color! My point is that I would feel pretty bad if I banged up my Turbo and it would certainly cost an awful lot more.
As to the original poll question, I would say that I drive the Boxster much harder than I do when I take my TT to the track (which is now only 1-2 times a year).

Besides,....with arm restraints you can go topless!

Quick Reply: Which would be more fun? GT3 or Boxster?