Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvtect octane boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From European Car Mag. MMT apparently works.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM
boatfuel3400
2nd Gear

Default ValvTect Octane Boost

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Thanks for adding the info here. I have a few questions...

How was the octane improvement tested?
"It was tested using ASTM Procedures for testing Octane number. Both the research and the motor test methods were used. Higher results can be achieved using the research number."

With an additive, I would assume it changes the burn rate of the fuel. Do you suggest timing changes with your additive? "No, although advancing timing changes may give a boost in power in some racing applications."

Is there a HP loss due to changes in burn rate, if no other adjustments are made to the engine? "No, HP might potentially be a little better because the fuel burns better with the additive."

Are there issues with 10%, or the proposed 15% ethanol content in pump fuels? "No, This technology has been used in oxygenated fuel for years. It will raise octane in oxygenated fuels also, although the specific amount will vary depending on the specific fuel and the way it is formulated."
mm
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
From European Car Mag. MMT apparently works.

There is no question that MMT works. It was developed and used early on, when lead was removed. EPA banned it for a while, but could not prove dangers so it has made a comeback (never went away in some countries).

I am always very skeptical of such products, especially when there is little or no technical info on the specific product - I spent quite a few years as an Automotive Engineer. Part of that time was testing some of the products with all sorts of claims about octane, emissions, HP, etc. The results were not a pretty sight. I have also run Octane tests with the CFR engine.

Also everyone should realize that many of these chemicals are HIGHLY toxic and must be handled very carefully. They were not really meant to be handled by an individual pouring from a bottle. I don't know the specific risk with MMT, but I am reminded that TEL (Lead in leaded gas) could kill you with fairly minimal skin contact. I would imagine that highly concentrated MMT would pose some real hazards and need careful handling.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boatfuel3400
mm
Thanks - I see the embedded answers.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,501 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Sorry for the dumb question. But how does a small dose of any product turn a tank full of 91 octane to 93? Wouldn't the extra 2 octane need to already be in the 91 octane and the additive "unlock" the extra 2 Octane? If that were the case, then why wouldn't the refiners just release the entire octane level for consumption and sell for a price according to the level of oct?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Also everyone should realize that many of these chemicals are HIGHLY toxic and must be handled very carefully. They were not really meant to be handled by an individual pouring from a bottle. I don't know the specific risk with MMT, but I am reminded that TEL (Lead in leaded gas) could kill you with fairly minimal skin contact. I would imagine that highly concentrated MMT would pose some real hazards and need careful handling.
Very true. I also wonder about the atmospheric aspects as well. Maybe still possible with a complete rubber suit and respirator.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Sorry for the dumb question. But how does a small dose of any product turn a tank full of 91 octane to 93? Wouldn't the extra 2 octane need to already be in the 91 octane and the additive "unlock" the extra 2 Octane? If that were the case, then why wouldn't the refiners just release the entire octane level for consumption and sell for a price according to the level of oct?
Originally Posted by renvagn
Very true. I also wonder about the atmospheric aspects as well. Maybe still possible with a complete rubber suit and respirator.
Strange chemical things happen in combustion. If you Google MMT, you can find the papers that show how very little is needed to raise Octane. One drop of MMT is adequate to add 2 full octane numbers to one gallon of gas. But there is far more to fuel than Octane, hence my questions about burn rate. A fuel can work great (no knock and good HP) in a 6,000 rom engine but fall on it's face (generally poor power) in a 13,000 rpm engine because the burn rate is too slow.

Octane tests are pretty strange. (They may have changed over the many years since I ran them) but the engine is a single cylinder, big motor. As I recall it runs at ~100 prm for the testing. Research (RON) and Motor (MON) are different conditions. It used to be that one was closer to a car with auto trans while the other more accurately reflected a manual trans. But with emissions, much higher temps, electronic controls, I have no idea what these tests really mean.

Studies indicate that MMT is safe as an emission. However, I don't find info on how safe or dangerous it is to handle. The product being discussed in this thread, seems to be much more highly concentrated than others on the market - hence and handling dangers would likely be greater.

There is my 2 cents.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

I have found ONE that is superb: Turbo 108
Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

thats the million dollar question right. so often, guys equate "octane" with power. just adding octane and not changing anything else will result in lower power, unless you were pinging badly before.
raising octane, will give less energy potential of the fuel, but slow the burn so you can do more with that fuel to get more energy out of it by optimizing the combustion process.

http://www.bajajusa.com/High%20Octane.htm
Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Thanks for adding the info here. I have a few questions...

How was the octane improvement tested?
With an additive, I would assume it changes the burn rate of the fuel. Do you suggest timing changes with your additive?
Is there a HP loss due to changes in burn rate, if no other adjustments are made to the engine?
Are there issues with 10%, or the proposed 15% ethanol content in pump fuels?

Quick Reply: Valvtect octane boost