Sponsored by:

AiM Brake Sensor/Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AiM Brake Sensor/Traqmate

Has anyone installed an Aim Brake Sensor in combination with a Traqmate data logger. Am trying to find out some info on this. To make a long story short, Traqmate's manual is not the model of clarity it appears to be.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You have the $200 extra analog data connector, right? And you have the specs on the sensor? The sensor should have 3 wires - one for hot (+5v), one for ground, and one for the signal. Wire it up as indicated, then, in the software, you can calibrate it for the specs. Usually on pressure sensors they'll have a line graph that plots pressure vs. voltage, or it might just have something like "0 psi @ 0.5v; 1500 psi @ 4.5v", which means it's a linear function - half way between 0.5 and 4.5 volts, the pressure would be half way between 0 and 1500.

Once you have the sensor installed, and the parameters in the software, you can use the traqmate display unit to look at the sensor voltage in realtime. I don't remember exactly what the menu is, but I think it's called "check inputs".
Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Van, That assumes Traqmate's manual is correct. According to my own diligence (I contacted AiM and then contacted the company that makes the brake sensor for AiM (AiM subcontracts this out)) AiM's brake pressure sensor requires a 12V source. Not the 5v source as decribed by Traqmate's manual. I also contacted Traqmate and they said that notwithstanding the manual describes a typical AiM pressure sensor hookup, the manual was not referring to an Aim brake pressure sensor. (talk about double speak)

And the problem with a 12V soure is that it fluctuates with the RPMs of the engine, and is therefore, not an accurate voltage source. The 5V source is constant.

So my question still stands. Has anyone hooked up an AiM brake pressure sensor to a Traqmate data logger.

Last edited by bauerjab; 10-20-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Gotcha, I understand now. Sounds like, *if* anyone's done it, they'd be wise to hook the sensor up to some kind of filter (think capacitor that car stereo enthusiasts use to keep the voltage supply steady to power amps).

I presume you already have the AiM sensor, so you're not interested in finding a 5v version?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

AIM is in the business of disinformation when it comes to customer service.

By the way, buy a real data acqu system....

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Van, That assumes Traqmate's manual is correct. According to my own diligence (I contacted AiM and then contacted the company that makes the brake sensor for AiM (AiM subcontracts this out)) AiM's brake pressure sensor requires a 12V source. Not the 5v source as decribed by Traqmate's manual. I also contacted Traqmate and they said that notwithstanding the manual describes a typical AiM pressure sensor hookup, the manual was not referring to an Aim brake pressure sensor. (talk about double speak)

And the problem with a 12V soure is that it fluctuates with the RPMs of the engine, and is therefore, not an accurate voltage source. The 5V source is constant.

So my question still stands. Has anyone hooked up an AiM brake pressure sensor to a Traqmate data logger.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Van suggests, there are plenty of very reliable 5V 0-1500psi sensors out there. If you already have the AiM sensor you might want to try returning it [assuming its not been installed].
Does Traqmate provide a +5V regulated source for sensor reference?

[rant] Some of these vendors should be shot for their half-assed sensor infrastructure. Once you've seen a proper 'plug and play' sensor setup specifically degined to take both the vendors sensors and third pary sensors you would not tolerate what you are suffering with. A 'cheap' logger does not mean a cheap system. [/rant]
Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Which one makes a "proper plug and play" sensor setup Tony? By chance is it Racepak (IQ3)?

This is the info I have for the 0-2000 PSI sensor in my car -

4.2 – Pinout for 0-2000 PSI Sensor - #X05SNP13520
Pin Function Cable colour
1 Pressure signal 1-5V White
2 GND Black
3 Power10-30 V Red
4 Not connected

Measure range 0-2000 PSI
Output signal 1-5 V
Power 10-30 V
Cable length 60 cm
Extension Not included
Thread M10x1
Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses, particularly Fred's. So warm and fuzzy!

I did not install the AiM sensor. I asked a shop to do that. Nor did I specifically tell the shop to install an AiM sensor, although I certainly suggested it based on Traqmate's manual.

Over this past weeked, I tried to calibrate the voltage of the brake sensor and found it was not working at all. Which led me to my foray into the world of electronics, including a couple of discussions with an electrical engineer and multiple emails with AiM and MSI - the company that actually makes the sensor. (Fred -- both AiM and MSI were extremely helpful and provided me with model numbers and spec sheets. They didn't hide anything. The model number is M3 441 00000602 KPG.).

The bottom line is I need, as stated by Tony, a 5V source sensor. AiM is 8V-30V (Gary- I'll get to your post). I would have been in such better shape if Traqmate's manual did not suggest using (a) an AiM pressure sensor and (b) a picture showing wiring it to Traqmate's 5V source. So my real rant at least starts with Traqmate.

Gary, it looks like your sensor is also a 12V source sensor. That's pin #3

Tony, the question I have for you relates to 12V sourse sensors. It's my understanding that the 12V source will fluctuate, and therefore, throw off the output pressure signal. If that is the case, how does Gary's work. Also, does AiM provide its own dedicated 12v source that does not fluctuate. Otherwise it would not be accurate.

Last edited by bauerjab; 10-20-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Does Traqmate provide a +5V regulated source for sensor reference?
Yes, the Traqmate sensor unit has a +5v out (specifically for sensors).

Sounds like Gary's sensor can take a fluctuating input and still provide the +5v signal. That might be a good solution for you, john.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Van, possibly that's a good point. But that's not my understanding of how the sensor works based on the discussions I have had. The source voltage needs to stay constant. Hopefully Tony can weigh in.

FYI, per MSI, the source range for the AiM sensor is 8V-30V.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Tony, the question I have for you relates to 12V sourse sensors. It's my understanding that the 12V source will fluctuate, and therefore, throw off the output pressure signal. If that is the case, how does Gary's work. Also, does AiM provide its own dedicated 12v source that does not fluctuate. Otherwise it would not be accurate.
The better sensors use the vehicle's 12V supply to generate a +5V reference voltage. The regulator is IN the sensor. Based on Gary's post you should be OK with the MSI sensor.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tony. I think I have a splitting headache from all of this. .... And it's not going to make me any faster, just going to confirm that I overbrake....
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

We had a guy who was remakably fast in his G car at the SP club race. Talking to him about how he drives, he said its easy; he just brakes really late and stays in the ABS all the way to the apex. He probably wouldn't get much value from brake pressure data, eh?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by APKhaos
The better sensors use the vehicle's 12V supply to generate a +5V reference voltage. The regulator is IN the sensor. Based on Gary's post you should be OK with the MSI sensor.
Tony, you are correct. I just spoke to an engineer at MSI regarding this and he confirmed that the BPS has an internal voltage regulator that brings the voltage to just over 5. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

John

I just looked at some AIM data from a 964 Cup car. The voltage is quite constant throught a lap, varying from 13.6 to 13.9 V. The effect would really be insignificant to the brake pressure signal. You are only looking for the brake pressure profile, not absolute accurate numbers. There must be a simple way to get battery voltage to the sensor.

Quick Reply: AiM Brake Sensor/Traqmate