Sponsored by:

AiM Brake Sensor/Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Jerry,

As it turns out, the AiM sensor can easily handle unregulated source voltage varying by a significant amount - much more than your observation shows. In fact, the AiM sensor (and I assume other sensors as well) are specifically designed to handle fluctuating unregulated voltage. Here is the technical explanation directly from the MSI engineer. (very interesting - at least to me).

"... the 12V option should work just fine. Here is why.

The sensor needs an internal 6V to power both its electronics and the pressure sensing elements (silicon strain gages, in the form of a circuit called a “Wheatstone Bridge”). It would be unreasonable to expect everyone to have a regulated 6V power source to supply the sensor, so the sensor makes its own 6V power source. It does this by having a voltage regulator on-board. The regulator converts the raw, unregulated 12V source to a solid, regulated and filtered 6V to operate all the circuitry in the sensor. This voltage regulator is an LT1121 from Linear Technology (I have attached a datasheet for it, in case you are curious).

Voltage regulators, by the principles on which they operate, reject changes at their inputs (unregulated power), and give precise DC outputs. The changes in the your cars battery voltage that you were telling me about will be rejected to the extent that these changes will be suppressed by about 3000:1. So a if you had a 2V fluctuation in battery voltage, this would translate to only about a 670uV change in the 6V regulated voltage (0.01%). This rejection is termed the Line Regulation of the regulator."

Jerry, so that's why the AiM sensor ( and I assume Gary's) will work perfectly. I wish I would have known this at the beginning. But Traqmate's manual specifically states that you should not use the unregulated 12V source, and another party who I trusted was misinformed.

But all's well that ends well.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good info.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Jerry, so that's why the AiM sensor ( and I assume Gary's) will work perfectly.
It did work perfectly but now it has some sort of flutter going on at 0PSI that I have to compensate for in the software. I always thought it was an anomaly in the pressure reading (bounces between 25-45PSI when no brake is applied) but with all this hub-bub I think I will look at the voltage when this is happening....
Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the reading bounce when the motor is off? If so it could be AC noise. try a choke on the sensor line if it is only with the motor on.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
Does the reading bounce when the motor is off? If so it could be AC noise. try a choke on the sensor line if it is only with the motor on.
I believe it does it all the time Kurt (motor running or not). I'll try it when I get her out for her final DE of the year tech/service. If it is (all the time), any suggestions other than looking at input voltage? It was fine the 1st year or so, just started this during this season.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the sensor wire to see that it not pinched or the shielding compromised or grounded on both ends. The sensor could be going bad too. The fact that it flutters but still gives good readings off of 0 makes me think sensor or noise in that order. If the programing worked OK for a year or so I would first look at the wiring and device before the programing. Not an ex-purt just spit balling.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
Check the sensor wire to see that it not pinched or the shielding compromised or grounded on both ends. The sensor could be going bad too. The fact that it flutters but still gives good readings off of 0 makes me think sensor or noise in that order. If the programing worked OK for a year or so I would first look at the wiring and device before the programing. Not an ex-purt just spit balling.
I just did the programming change as a band-aid until I felt like digging in. The low end spiking doesn't matter when it comes time to look at data, it's more of a nit-pik thing and it shows up on my AIM video outputs.

Quick Reply: AiM Brake Sensor/Traqmate