Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thanks Chris,..........really cool stuff.

Don'tcha wonder what happened to all that fancy race machinery after the DTM was cancelled???
Yes sir, wonder where all that stuff went?

Years ago we had a gent I worked close with here at Swift who in a previous life worked in Germany with a DTM team. The stories he told of the budgets and technology within DTM. Mercedes had budgets that equalled F1 teams.

At one point Mercedes changed engines EVERY session. The engine changes were about 15 minutes!

Dynamic ballast systems, active suspension, beacons at points on the circuit that would open and close inlet ducting shutters for aero drag reductions were just some of the coolness of DTM back then!

Today, DTM and Super Gt in Japan are trying to align their rulebooks to compete against each other. Super GT cars in Japan are simply the Formula One of touring car racing. Those cars are unbelievable!!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some of the machinery is still running. Around the N24H race they have a vintage DTM event doing parade laps. Well, that's what's the intention was. Took around two-three corners and they were racing like it was 1994 again.

Couple of the cars are running Hillclimb in Europe.

Budgets today are still insane!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thanks Chris,..........really cool stuff.

Don'tcha wonder what happened to all that fancy race machinery after the DTM was cancelled???
Yes sir, wonder where all that stuff went?

Years ago we had a gent I worked close with here at Swift who in a previous life worked in Germany with a DTM team. The stories he told of the budgets and technology within DTM. Mercedes had budgets that equalled F1 teams.

At one point Mercedes changed engines EVERY session. The engine changes were about 15 minutes!

Dynamic ballast systems, active suspension, beacons at points on the circuit that would open and close inlet ducting shutters for aero drag reductions were just some of the coolness of DTM back then!

Today, DTM and Super Gt in Japan are trying to align their rulebooks to compete against each other. Super GT cars in Japan are simply the Formula One of touring car racing. Those cars are unbelievable!!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've owned three E30 M3 cars because of that series and I'm currently looking for a fourth. Something about those cars gets me all weak in the knees.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/dtm-...ife_680363.htm

Oh the sound of a S14 at WOT

Quick Reply: DTM Fans?