Sponsored by:

RIP Greg Wright

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RIP Greg Wright

It is with profound regret that I inform you that Greg Wright, past president KCRPCA and track mentor to a huge number of us passed away this afternoon.

Greg was one of the first people at KCRPCA that I met and I treasure the time I had to spend with him and our track mom Kathy who was always there to help us making grilled jalapeno's and running to subway getting ice and etc etc.....................

I learned a great deal from Greg both on the track and off and my life was truely enriched by his friendship. His encouragement, support and guidance had a great deal to do with the reality of me becoming a track rat and fullfilling a lifelong dream to be one of the real track guys.

In the all too short time I had to spend with Greg the time I remember the most was at HPT in 2009 when i was running (as the vp of driving activities) my first 3 day DE. It was a big stress for me and thankfully most everything had gone off very well. It was mid October and everyone had loaded up and left; Greg and I were the last two guys on the track. I followed him for 15 minutes; my 350 HP turbo unable to keep pace with his 210 HP S2. I know damn well he waited for me and I got a fantastic course in how to drive HPT from him in the waning twilight. Something I will NEVER forget.

Greg is free from his discomfort and now we have the pain of missing him to deal with amoungst ourselves. For me that will take some time.

Please keep Kathy and the rest of Greg's family in your thoughts and prayers.

RIP my friend

Bob

Last edited by jayhawk; 10-09-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:35 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I've never heard his name before, but it surely sounds as if he was well worth calling friend. My condolences to those who will miss him. He was blessed with the gifts to have touched people's lives in the time he was here, and to be remembered as you have shared. We should all be so blessed.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only had the opportunity to meet Greg a couple of times but found him to be a really genuine, hard working, positive guy who gave a great deal more to the Porsche Club and to his community then he asked to get back. He'll be missed.

Jayhawk, Sean Reardon sent me an email about Greg's passing last night. At that time he didn't know about any of the funeral arrangements or requested memorials. I won't be able to make the long drive to KC but would like to send a memorial (and hope there are others on the list who would do so). Have the family designated any memorials?

Bruce
Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

What a beautiful tribute.

My prayers for his soul, his family and his friends.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

My condolences Bob, there are far too few good people out there and the loss of one is always painful to all that know them. May he rest in peace.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

R.I.P.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-09-2010, 11:28 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I only had the opportunity to meet Greg a couple of times but found him to be a really genuine, hard working, positive guy who gave a great deal more to the Porsche Club and to his community then he asked to get back. He'll be missed.

Jayhawk, Sean Reardon sent me an email about Greg's passing last night. At that time he didn't know about any of the funeral arrangements or requested memorials. I won't be able to make the long drive to KC but would like to send a memorial (and hope there are others on the list who would do so). Have the family designated any memorials?

Bruce
I will advise here when I know more. Thanks everyone for the kind words
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Greg was my first instructor when I started doing DE's as well, and i had the pleasure of maintaining his cars for a couple of years. Always willing to help out when I needed it, and we were blessed to have him part of our close knit group of track junkies. A incredible character both on and off the track, I always enjoyed spending time with him at the various events. It won't be the same without #5 around.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP
Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a great enthusiast and person.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Greg has been at just about every track event I've been to at Heartland Park. He's a part of a lot of great times and great memories for me. I'll miss him badly. My sincere condolences to his wonderful wife Kathy and to his family.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010, 12:34 AM
wesmc3
Instructor

Very well done Bob. I have been searching for a way to sum up how I've felt the last two days. You nailed it. Things in the "KC" garage area will not be the same next weekend.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

The family suggests contributions to one of the following in lieu of flowers:

Humane Society of Kansas City
5445 Parallel Parkway
Kansas City Kansas 66104

Midwest Transplant Network, Team MOKAN
1900 West 47th Pl STE 400
Westwood, Kansas 66205

The American Cancer Society
6700 Antioch Rd Ste 100
Merriam, Kansas 66208

Fond memories and condolences may be left at www.dwnwhitechapel.com

bob
Old 10-10-2010, 09:21 PM
mrepka
Instructor

My condolences to the family and friends. I met Greg a couple times around the PCA circuit, and found him to be a great guy, he will be missed.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

RIP

Quick Reply: RIP Greg Wright