Sponsored by:

Need some brake advice quickly.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Going up to the Big Reds on the front alone is a pretty common upgrade for the 951. Having said that, it's probably not ideal. I will update to a different setup somewhere in the future. I had run the same calipers and pads on the old car with abs without any sign of lockup. They actually give very good retardation and sometimes I feel like I've overslowed for this corner.
Hi PAtrick,

It is pretty common to go to reds up front and I did it when I went to prepared last year. Having swapped back this year to Turbo S brakes to the front I have found that the balance of the car is much better under braking and can feel that the rears are working more than they were. (I run a stock turbo S 35/4 proportioning valve for info)

I suspect that the reds are too much brake in combination with stock rears. If you want to run that combo I would suggest 97's up fromnt ad 01 in the rears. Helped me get the balance front to rear better with the reds
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks guys. Lots of good info. To qualify, this isn't happening on every lap type scenario, but it doesn't take more than once to really flat spot the tyres which is expensive and annoying as I get them sent from the US. So I'll take this all into consideration. I do really like the brakes I have 99% of the time. I might just try a different technique as has been discussed.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you're probably right. Less torque is a better term.
I actually think the changed proportioning valve I had in the rear is not in this car. Long story short, I had it in the previous car with abs and think it might have been one of the few things that didn't make it's way across to this current car after a crash. However, there is some evidence that I locked the rears on another track although this was pretty early in the piece from shifting cars and I know where I did this was basically poor technique.
Patrick, when I changed to PFC97s I also have trouble with locking front brakes on my non-ABS S2. I changed the proportioning valve to the 33/5 type and this helped a lot. I think because the PFC97's have more bite, the rear brakes weren't getting enough hydraulic pressure and therefore weren't working to their potential.

Even with the valve installed, I still occasionally lock a front. I never used to have this problem as with my previous pads I had to really stomp on the pedal. With the PFC97's you need better modulation techniques. Having said that, I do really like the PFC97's, just takes some getting used to.

I'm also running Hoosiers, which are a little harder to pick the point of imminent lockup.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking of doing just this now. Try the 5/33 and see what happens. Wonder what the stock ratio is?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking of doing just this now. Try the 5/33 and see what happens. Wonder what the stock ratio is?
5/18 (or 18/5?) is stock. $95 from Paragon.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

That's right. I don't want stock again. I'm going to give the 5/33 a try. If that doesn't work I'll try the PFCs in reverse or maybe just the 97s up front.

Quick Reply: Need some brake advice quickly.