Sponsored by:

HPDE with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
It's run much more as a pure business model there. I'm sure the insurance/litigation situation is very different, so there's no pretense of "driver education". All the tracks I ran at (9 in 3 years) you made a reservation, paid your money and showed up. As long as you had a valid driver's license, 3 pt seat belts and a helmet at most tracks (which could be rented for the day) you were good to go - solo first day. Tech inspections weren't required, instructors were optional and graduated run groups didn't exist. Very different model.
This is similar to the private (non-club affiliated) open track/lapping/DE groups that I have run with @ Mosport i.e. no tech or medical forms, helmets optional. Different mindset up there...

I've been running with NASA's HPDE groups for years and I feel there's a definite progression (or at least the intent) into racing, more so than the club groups. Up until this year, Great Lakes actually had HPDE4 being timed (transponders were required) and running with the time trialers.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASA SE requires tech at each event except for racers. Instructors are required and social promotions are not common. Most instructors instruct with 2, 3, 4 different groups (NASA, PCA, BMW, Chin are most common). There are some guys who show up with paid race support crews, most don't. Most guys work on there cars to some extent or another. Camaraderie is equal across most makes, models and price points.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NASA NE / PDA- All HPDE 1 student have Instructors all day and all HPDE 2 students for first run of day. Instructors self tech but don't be fooled. Our tech people are skilled at evaluating different Marques. Yes- torque your own lug nuts but unsafe vehicles or behavior will be asked to leave. Advancement to higher run group very similar to PCA with evaluation forms & ride withs. We occasionally move students up or down based on our evaluation of their driving skills. We conduct Comp Schools and Instructor clinics annually. Instructor candidates are from HPDE 4 run group. Open passing with signal in Advanced and Instructors groups .
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

I enjoy spending time with my regions PCA buddies. NASA MA rocks in terms of diversity of people and cars. Also, if you have a chance to do a NARRA/Viper Days event do it. I instructed for this group at VIR this summer. Professional, class acts (even VR) and everyone was treated as an adult. Fun time.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to close the loop...

I just registered for the Thunderbolt event on halloween weekend....only driving saturday as I need to be home with the kids sunday night.

Did a 3 day event there last year with NNJR and loved the track !

Thanks for all the good info and advice here...I am looking forward to the event !
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Joe, i signed up for NJMP - Thunderbolt with PCA Schattenbaum on November 6th, any chance you are registered also? Unfortunately the only event i can do this year, my work schedule has been rough.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jon

Hope all's well !

I had not looked into that event but I will.

best

Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

So Northern NJ NASA folks...

where do you tech ?

TIA

Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Colin Miller at C Squared Automotive on Route 46 in Fairfield. He is in the Eurotire Building. Colin has been working on my cars for many years and he is a racing fanatic.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Minoclan
I use Colin Miller at C Squared Automotive on Route 46 in Fairfield. He is in the Eurotire Building. Colin has been working on my cars for many years and he is a racing fanatic.
That's actually very convenient ! Never used C Squared but I have used EuroTire...great folks !

Silly question....I saw a list of shops on the NASA Northeast site...C Squared was not there. Do I have to use someone on the list then ?

thanks for the info !

best

Joe
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had Colin do the tech for me on every event and never had a issue. NASA is very accommodating, see what I mean?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 PM
911FM
Racer

BMW CCA? Pretty cool down to earth crowd. Otherwise Schattenbaum.

FM
Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white924s
I did my first DE with NASA/PDA, and I had a fantastic time. My instructor was actually a PCA instructor as well, and I feel like I learned a lot from the sessions. I think I'll be signing up for their event at NJMP in late October
That PCA instructor should knew how to drive FLATOUT, didn't he?!?!

J Berk: as you know, I've been running with NNJR for a number of years now, and started running with other clubs as of last year, including NASA/PDA.

NASA / PDA does put on a good event, but there is a difference. IMHO, the level of instruction you get with PCA is superior. Granted, there are lots of 'crossover' instructors from PCA who instruct with NASA/PDA, and there are always exceptions. That said, in the Northeast, I believe the reason PCA instruction is superior is because there are so many more PCA events that PCA members can attend. That yields to far more seat time, which is the key to driving and instructing properly. I'm not being a Porsche snob, - but seat time is seat time.

As for logistics and safety -- the NASA/PDA events I've attended have all been good clean events -- safety is stressed just like in PCA. Everyone knows that HPDE is NOT racing - and if they are too agressive, they will get reeled back in.

PCA clubs and NASA clubs both have pros and cons -- like anything. Glad to hear you're trying out NASA at T-bolt -- hope you have a fun time!

-Z-man.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the well-wishes Z !

I am looking forward to the NASA event....I've been so busy at work that before I knew it...it was August and I had not been to the track. Was really hoping to go to MMC...who'd a thunk that if I registered in early August I'd miss an October event ! In any case, I was looking at MMC as probably the only event I'd make all season....and since I found out so late that I would not get in, my options were limited with NNJR. That got me looking around....starting this thread and joining NASA.

I hope to be more active next season...and now I have more options as far as event dates go so I should get more track time !

Hope you (and your S2) are well !!

I see Laslo has moved on to something with the motor hanging out back ! I am sure it's a thrilling ride compared to his S2....be interested in hearing all the differences he's noticed in how to drive it compared to the old one.

best

Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Berk
Thanks for the well-wishes Z !
Hope you (and your S2) are well !!
Well, MMC wasn't so nice to my S2 -- my driver's side Kokeln control arm 'failed' in the section known as the "Ferrari Killer" section. Fortunately, I was pointed a direction where the armco was far away. (probably traveling around 90 mph when the failure occurred.), so no contact and no other damage:

It could have been much, much worse.

I see Laslo has moved on to something with the motor hanging out back ! I am sure it's a thrilling ride compared to his S2....be interested in hearing all the differences he's noticed in how to drive it compared to the old one.

best

Joe
Went for a ride with him in his GT3 -- to show him the line at MMC since this was his first trip -- the kid can drive!

-Z-man.

Quick Reply: HPDE with NASA