HPDE with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HPDE with NASA

I am looking for other clubs to DE with besides NNJR PCA.

Nothing wrong with PCA ...just looking for oportunity to attend more local events since PCA has been doing less locally and more 'travel tracks' which I can not do right now.

Was looking at EMRA and NASA.....I thought EMRA used to do HPDE's but I don't see it on their sight.

Looks like NASA has a good program...anyone with 1st hand experience ?

Any other suggestions ?

Tracks I think of as local are Pocono, NJMP, Monitcello (if they continue to allow clubs), and probably lime rock and the glen...

thanks!

Joe
Old 09-26-2010, 11:50 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schattenbaum PCA has an event at NJMP in a few weeks and there are a few more in the area until November. You can always go to motorsportreg.com and look at the calendar.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's a great idea !
Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my first DE with NASA/PDA, and I had a fantastic time. My instructor was actually a PCA instructor as well, and I feel like I learned a lot from the sessions. I think I'll be signing up for their event at NJMP in late October
Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've never attended as a DE participant, only as a racer, but from what I observe, NASA in TX runs good DE events. You get the added advantage of getting to watch some racing.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have asperations of racing in the future, do NASA DEs. There DE program is designed to progress a driver from novice to racer. The upper group/s allow passing anywhere on the circuit (point bys required/suggested). They also have an intermediate stage called Time Trials. TT allows open passing anywhere on the circuit w/o point bys but you are racing the clock not other drivers.

PCA has an inferior path to racing.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've attended one of their events. Good day all around and I liked the passing rules in the upper groups. Lots of PCA instructors on hand, courtesy of our own gofishracing. I enjoy running against other marques, and this event even included a couple of spin-happy NASCAR trucks.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
I am looking for other clubs to DE with besides NNJR PCA.

Nothing wrong with PCA ...just looking for oportunity to attend more local events since PCA has been doing less locally and more 'travel tracks' which I can not do right now.

Was looking at EMRA and NASA.....I thought EMRA used to do HPDE's but I don't see it on their sight.

Looks like NASA has a good program...anyone with 1st hand experience ?

Any other suggestions ?

Tracks I think of as local are Pocono, NJMP, Monitcello (if they continue to allow clubs), and probably lime rock and the glen...

thanks!

Joe
I drove with NNJR for years. I did one event this year with them and decided that I wasn't having fun. I did a few NASA and HOD events. I had a great time with both. Nasa was fun, safe, and I got a ton of track time. It is fun driving with all types of cars on the track.. You will recognize a few NNJR faces at NASA. There are no hassles, everyone is friendly, and did I mention that you get a ton of track time. With Nasa you can choose to drive for just one day. I highly recommend NASA and HOD. Try it, driving with these clubs and don't look back.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. NASA / PDA Watkins Glen huge event October 1-3 & we have Thunderbolt October 29-31.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
If you have asperations of racing in the future, do NASA DEs. There DE program is designed to progress a driver from novice to racer. The upper group/s allow passing anywhere on the circuit (point bys required/suggested). They also have an intermediate stage called Time Trials. TT allows open passing anywhere on the circuit w/o point bys but you are racing the clock not other drivers.

PCA has an inferior path to racing.
Ditto all of this. I "blame" NASA HPDEs for getting me to make the jump to racing (iironically to a series that is not supported by NASA). You often have LESS track time b/c you're running between races. But there's a lot to observe between your sessions.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just became a NASA member...

Hey Gofishracing....do you know if there are instructed slots opened at T-bolt in late October?

I ended NNJR last year in the yellow group ...but with no track time this year yet I would bump myself back to green....in PCA-Speak.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

J-Berk
Became a NASA memebr this year, and went to WGI with them. They are well run (tech wasn't as "tight" as a PCA event- ie., no one ever checked lug nuts/torquing and there were plenty of people swaping out streets for track tires). The drivers in the upper run groups were fantastic, no issue, no problems, plenty of passing signals, overall a super enjoyable experience. It was great to run with other marques, too....Mitsu Evo's (pretty damn fast) Subaru STX WRI, a rocket fast mustang, and the full assortment of Corvettes........ I would highly recommend you join and give it a try....well worth the experience, a great bunch all around.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jay can check the roster for Thunderbolt. You can e-mail him a pdainstructor@gmail.com.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

PCA has a fair amount of consistencies between clubs -- NASA really doesn't. In our area you have both the Northeast Region (which was formerly PDA) and the Mid-Atlantic Region, which runs events at Summit Point. The clubs are very different. That's not to say its a bad thing -- only if you run with Northeast and don't like it, then try Mid-Atlantic too.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Country911
(tech wasn't as "tight" as a PCA event- ie., no one ever checked lug nuts/torquing and there were plenty of people swaping out streets for track tires).
No matter how much people try you can't mandate "safety". I went to Germany and drove a rental car on Hockenheimring during an open track day and the Germans pointed and laughed at the fact that I brought a helmet. Sometimes PCA safety rules are overboard. NASA lets people self-tech for DE and believe it or not all of the cars don't fall apart and crash on the track.

Heck, our local PCA region even requires logbooked race cars to get tech inspected by a shop (or their "approved" inspectors). Way overboard nonsense.

Quick Reply: HPDE with NASA