Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try Nasa. PCA does a nice job, but it is a social event that happens to have some track time. Nasa is a track event that happensd to have a great social following. The thing that caught me about Nasa was the activity while I was off the track. At PCA for the most part you sat around and watched other DE groups drive the track. At Nasa there were other DE groups, Time Trial groups and two race groups. Made for a much better experience in my opionion.
Another note: It does not matter what level you drive or where you want to go. There is no pressure ot move up, Time Trial or Race. however, if you do want to race the Nasa path is much clearing in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
PCA does a nice job, but it is a social event that happens to have some track time.
Totally agree! Just count how many people are camping at NASA events vs PCA. PCA events everyone runs off to get steak dinners at the end of the day and checks into the Marriott. NASA guys are grilling up burgers and drinking beer at the track
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Darren
I went to Germany and drove a rental car on Hockenheimring during an open track day and the Germans pointed and laughed at the fact that I brought a helmet.
It is funny how everything is relative in the world! I was surprised by the difference of how they run things over in Eurpoe also.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Totally agree! Just count how many people are camping at NASA events vs PCA. PCA events everyone runs off to get steak dinners at the end of the day and checks into the Marriott. NASA guys are grilling up burgers and drinking beer at the track
That's a bit biased Darren. If I am at the Glen then yes, it's off to the Seneca for a NY Strip but at Limerock it's the Boathouse for Oysters/Clams and at NJMP it's off to a little Italian Bistro (forget name, opposite Oar House bar) for seafood fra diavlo...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Haha. I like that Louies Prime place up by Pocono. Anymore I look forward to that more than driving my 1,000,000 lap around Pocono North.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been running with NASA for 12 years. Nice organization. PCA is nice too, but they are different however alot of people crossover. I think most of hardcore track types do.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Hmmm, only the instructors can self tech their cars in our NASA region...
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
It is funny how everything is relative in the world! I was surprised by the difference of how they run things over in Eurpoe also.
It's run much more as a pure business model there. I'm sure the insurance/litigation situation is very different, so there's no pretense of "driver education". All the tracks I ran at (9 in 3 years) you made a reservation, paid your money and showed up. As long as you had a valid driver's license, 3 pt seat belts and a helmet at most tracks (which could be rented for the day) you were good to go - solo first day. Tech inspections weren't required, instructors were optional and graduated run groups didn't exist. Very different model.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

It's good that way too -- less political nonsense than running with PCA.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Tech inspections weren't required, instructors were optional and graduated run groups didn't exist. Very different model.
Again, there is much less consistency so you really have to find out about the specific NASA region.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Again, there is much less consistency so you really have to find out about the specific NASA region.
Think he was referring to Eurpoe, just not sure where that is....
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

You have to find the right part of the paddock at PCA events (aka ghetto) in order to find a NASA-like crowd. Look for the bedraggled guys (or their legs sticking out from under their cars) in 944s or in 911s with mismatched fenders and duct tape that looks several seasons old. Follow the trail of dripping motor oil from the pits back to the paddock. In short, look for the guys who look like they would fit in at a NASA event. And if you can't bring yourself to hang out with those guys, maybe NASA's not the best fit for you!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
You have to find the right part of the paddock at PCA events (aka ghetto) in order to find a NASA-like crowd.
I like PCA too, just different. I do, however, get pissed when someone at a PCA event walks over "you're working on your car again? Why didn't you do that before you came?"

Meanwhile I'm thinking the only reason I'm at a DE in the first place is to test things on my car and find problems before race events. At NASA the reaction would be more like "hey you need any tools? can I hold that light for you?"
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
It's run much more as a pure business model there. I'm sure the insurance/litigation situation is very different, so there's no pretense of "driver education". All the tracks I ran at (9 in 3 years) you made a reservation, paid your money and showed up. As long as you had a valid driver's license, 3 pt seat belts and a helmet at most tracks (which could be rented for the day) you were good to go - solo first day. Tech inspections weren't required, instructors were optional and graduated run groups didn't exist. Very different model.
NASA Az does not run like that.

Instructors are required for first time drivers. Tech happens at the track. You are only allowed to go solo once "singed off" and have to have group leader approval to move up in each round group. That said we try to minimize the paperwork and hassle, but maintain some orgnization.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
NASA Az does not run like that.
I'm sure nobody on this side of the Atlantic does. That was my point.

Quick Reply: HPDE with NASA