Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lewis,
HAHAHA, I think I will just wait to see what the owners manual says. I wouldn't dare ask that question here in fear of getting burned!

Peter,
I have a friend who tows with a Nissan Frontier and the thing does great actually. She has an alum. trailer and it does fine. It doesn't set records going up the huge hills, but it gets it done. 70-75MPH normally.

Mooty,
I will send you the bill then! I would love an F-350 Diesel just because I love the torque and the sound, but it is also a sort of male thing that makes me want the biggest truck I can get. I just don't know if I have the bank account to get it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here in the forum, it's OK to ask what oil viscosity to use in your tow vehicle, as long as you are wearing your H&N restraint
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Jay, you're welcome to test pull your trailer with my Cummins when I see you next month. I'm majorly sold on the thing and I've been driving it more than my 911 .
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Jay, you're welcome to test pull your trailer with my Cummins when I see you next month. I'm majorly sold on the thing and I've been driving it more than my 911 .
LMAO, once he pulled with a cummins, you think he's going to turn back to a 1500 and/or a suv
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
^ + 1 ... and Saint Bernard hauler as well.

My bride was told to get any car she wanted...she picked a 2005 Excursion to replace her 2000 Excursion.
Now that they're no longer in production, she plans on keeping the Excursion forever, since there is nothing else to replace it with.
That's why I was so stoked to find a really nice one with only 52K miles on it. Flew to PHX and drove it home. Still under warranty til December! But don't think it will be leaving the fold for a loooong time. Pulls my open trailer like there is nothing back there. So that means I need an enclosed one!

Drove it work today, like I do once in a while when I am not towing to the track for a bit. Took my Golden with me... he loves it, especially since I tend to leave all the seats out/down and he gets the whole back to himself.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

.... I've been driving it more than my 911 .
Dave I'll be happy to take car of your 911 out here in the country. Sounds like your place in Cambridge is getting kind of crowded. I promise I will exercise her on a regular basis.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian A.
Dave I'll be happy to take car of your 911 out here in the country. Sounds like your place in Cambridge is getting kind of crowded. I promise I will exercise her on a regular basis.
That's very kind of you to offer Brian. I might take the beast to the Oct 3 rally. See you then?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
That's why I was so stoked to find a really nice one with only 52K miles on it.
Listen, just as soon as GM gets another couple billion "loaned" to them they are going to build a KILLER Yukon!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i am thinking about v8 VW Tuareg as i`ll need to seat in wife and 2 kids as well in it while in DD mode. But it can tow only 7.5K lbs.
Just make sure the toureg has the air suspension on it. I towed a 24 foot enclosed with a 996TT in it (early model, no air suspension), and it was the most frightening ride of my life (and I'll tow anything at any speed, lol). Then my buddy upgraded it to the newer model with the air suspension, and with the same load, quite honestly it didn't even know that trailer was back there. Of course.....it literally makes about 5mpg towing an enclosed.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's very kind of you to offer Brian. I might take the beast to the Oct 3 rally. See you then?
Dave,
I hope you make it to the Oct. 3rd rally that would be GREAT!!!! You tell Brian I have dibs on exercising the 911 way before he does. Hell, I haven't even seen it yet. I also don't know if I want to try your new Toy Tow as I will then do something stupid and buy one!!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

If it's going to be a daily or frequent driver avoid a dually!! I love Clifford, my big red dually (my kids call it the big butt truck) and he tows 14,000lbs. oh so beautifully but I think its started shaking my fillings loose and I don't have fillings....

Can't beat the Duramax/Allison tranny combo IMHO.

can't wait to pick up a white boxster from Mr. Costa next month so Clifford can be relegated to tow only duty
Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I had to drive a dully for my old job as a company car and I didn't mind the ride, but the parking it was a pain. I just always parked far out and was done with it. They actually ride better with something behind them.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
They actually ride better with something behind them.
They ride like a dream pulling a gooseneck but you think parking is hard with just the truck.....
Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Listen, just as soon as GM gets another couple billion "loaned" to them they are going to build a KILLER Yukon!
They already did...you are forgetting the completely forgettable Yukon/Tahoe Hybrid ...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never ever buy another 1/2 ton (I got one) of any brand to use as a tow or work vehicle. Even if towing is it's secondary use.

Brakes, from pads, calipers to rotors are not up for the task. The axles are weak with the potential to break. The shocks and other suspension components are inferior to 3/4 ton and above and are not meant for towing anything other than a garden utility trailer. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! They work but..."Girlytrucks" when it comes to towing.

If you are buying a truck with towing a race car in mind, buy a real truck. It's like racing w/o a HANS.

Quick Reply: DD/Tow Truck Recommendations