LSR DE @ TWS - Sept 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Who was your AI ?
I was about to pile on, but looking at that car and what it might cost me to replace it, I think a 2:00 is about as hard as I would push it. Besides, 2:00 for Globe is still pretty decent.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Besides, 2:00 for Globe is still pretty decent.
You obviously haven't had a watch on Globe lately.

Man, your car sure looks fast Bill.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

You obviously haven't had a watch on Globe lately.

Man, your car sure looks fast Bill.
It better............'cause when I get behind the wheel it immediately gets slower! My Traqmate data looks like I'm dragging a friggin' anchor. With the damm boat still attached!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

It better............'cause when I get behind the wheel it immediately gets slower! My Traqmate data looks like I'm dragging a friggin' anchor. With the damm boat still attached!!!!!!
Just bring it out, the 996's are really a pleasure to drive fast. It's too pretty to leave in the garage. We will help you make the Traqmate data look better, even with you behind the wheel.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Just bring it out, the 996's are really a pleasure to drive fast. It's too pretty to leave in the garage. We will help you make the Traqmate data look better, even with you behind the wheel.
I was pissed that I didn't have it ready for this past weekend. Right up to the time that I started to drip sweat into my eyes when I was riding with a student. Not sure how you guys did it all weekend.

Car is fast......driver - not so much.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who was your AI ?
I was about to pile on, but looking at that car and what it might cost me to replace it, I think a 2:00 is about as hard as I would push it. Besides, 2:00 for Globe is still pretty decent.
While you guys have been reacting to the quality of the instructor lap times, you missed the point about the quality of instruction and the student's lap times!

The 2:00 came from JWalker, and of course he was being careful with my car. The point is that he laid down a 2:00 for me to try and replicate, and only two turns kept me from doing exactly that.

Over the course of a year, this was only my 3rd day at TWS on dry track, so I'll take the 2:02 and call it amazingly close to the day's objective.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 AM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
While you guys have been reacting to the quality of the instructor lap times, you missed the point about the quality of instruction and the student's lap times!

The 2:00 came from JWalker, and of course he was being careful with my car. The point is that he laid down a 2:00 for me to try and replicate, and only two turns kept me from doing exactly that.

Over the course of a year, this was only my 3rd day at TWS on dry track, so I'll take the 2:02 and call it amazingly close to the day's objective.
Looking at the videos I have a different driving line than you in most of the corners.
A student of mine timed me doing 1.54 to 1.55 with traffic. Try to get on Team 5 for Oct
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Bill, Viking is right: Globe hs gotten seriously fast. Did the TraqMate data of my CW & CCW laps I emailed you help?

Russell, nice droving. Heed C4S's suggestion, though. I have TraqMate data from my lowly 250bhp M3 of 1:56's going CW in traffic from last May.

Sorry I missed y'all this weekend. I was up east....and got a nasty stomach/lower GI bug to show for it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Professional Racing and Driving Coach[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;7894672]Bill, Viking is right: Globe hs gotten seriously fast. Did the TraqMate data of my CW & CCW laps I emailed you help?

Russell, nice droving. Heed C4S's suggestion, though. I have TraqMate data from my lowly 250bhp M3 of 1:56's going CW in traffic from last May.

Sorry I missed y'all this weekend. I was up east....and got a nasty stomach/lower GI bug to show for it.

Jeez, Francine and Hillary - you guys need to lighten up a bit. I'm joking about Globe.

And yes the data was a big hit in the Yellow classroom. We talked about how the absolute maximum speed attained by both cars was pretty similar, but how you carried more mid corner speed, and applied power sooner. Less than one second difference in 5 corners made a ton of difference in time. The "G" data was pretty cool. Patterns were similar, but your graph showed that you consistently used more grip, and consistently used maximum grip.

ervtx, it has now become obvious to you how self-absorbed we are
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Jeez, Francine and Hillary - you guys need to lighten up a bit. I'm joking about Globe.

And yes the data was a big hit in the Yellow classroom. We talked about how the absolute maximum speed attained by both cars was pretty similar, but how you carried more mid corner speed, and applied power sooner. Less than one second difference in 5 corners made a ton of difference in time. The "G" data was pretty cool. Patterns were similar, but your graph showed that you consistently used more grip, and consistently used maximum grip.

ervtx, it has now become obvious to you how self-absorbed we are
trackjunky - lI was just trying to use Globe to bait you into bring your car back out. I know you can drive fast, I remember the 951. I know the 996 can go faster than you have been peddling it. I think you just need to get more laps in it and get your comfort zone in it and then you will be going fast in it and loving it.

Ervtx - your driving is coming along nicely,TWS is a very challenging track,any improvement in a weekend is a positive.
Yes,I know JWalker and I am sure he was sandbagging to be nice to your car, as he should do.
As C4S/GT3 stated, there is a lot more left in your car so keep the learning process going and have as many instructors as you can jump in the car with you, they all will have some pearl of wisdom that can help.

The data is always a wonderful addition to prove certain things and see the differences in two drivers. But when the resources you have at the track include coaches/instructors like we have then you should utilize them,us, as much as possible. A good coach/instructor is basically a human data system that talks back to you. Lap times are just numbers, I think it's more about having the comfort and control and doing all the things correctly, then the lap times just seem to be there.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have always tried to benefit from as many instructors as possible - more so than your average white student, I'm sure. But students have no control over team assignments and instructor schedules, so the fact that some of you haven't had a chance to ride with me is something to discuss with the LSR CDI, not me! I bought the car from JWalker in '09, so there's a natural interest for both of us to hook up, but my passenger seat is ALWAYS open to the first person that jumps in.

Unfortunately, I miss half of the DE's at TWS, so each event is "one step backward, two steps forward". In October 2009, I recorded several laps under 2:02; and a best lap at 1:59. I had better tires, newer pads, and an empty passenger seat for the 1:59, so who knows... my 2:02 on Saturday might have been a 1:58 or lower under similar circumstances.

I just don't get enough seat time to advance more than just a smidgen each time out. This was my 2nd and last time out to TWS for the year So... by the time I make it back in Feb 2011, you can all help me get back down under 2:05 again!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the props guys. Given the sources, it's very meaningful. Still a long ways to go though...

Now back to our regularly scheduled verbal abuse.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Still a long ways to go though...

Now back to our regularly scheduled verbal abuse.
Do you mean like this?
BTW, my spin in the carousel happened on your watch!
WTF, dood? What were you looking at?
Did you think that you were just along for the ride??? Sheesh!
Like I said as the dust storm cleared, it was great to share that experience with you on my last hot lap of the year!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Do you mean like this?
BTW, my spin in the carousel happened on your watch!
WTF, dood? What were you looking at?
Did you think that you were just along for the ride??? Sheesh!
Like I said as the dust storm cleared, it was great to share that experience with you on my last hot lap of the year!
Yup, that's the kind of constructive criticism we've all grown to know and love from Rennlist.

BTW, if you want to learn how to REALLY create a dust storm, I can help you out:

http://www.vimeo.com/13871582
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VR...The data overlay you provided was a real eyeopener in the yellow classroom.

Track Junky...Great job presenting the data. It was interesting to see how closely the two cars were driven in the big picture, yet the time differences spent in braking and accelerating clearly had incremental gains or losses that were significant through the entire course. The red car had a significant hp advantage , but the blue car pilot had the technique advantage. To see the differences as the two cars moved around the track was clearly demonstrated in the overlay video. The data presentation helped us to 'see' the dynamics of car handling subtleties that make big differences in getting around the track.

I thought it was an excellent teaching and learning aide.

Quick Reply: LSR DE @ TWS - Sept 2010