Sponsored by:

VR-1 20w50 in a Spec Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i ran all current season on that oil since spring and had oil level reduced by 1 line only. did 3 DE days so far as well. IMHO it is a normal usage for one oil cycle. I was told to change oil after each 5-6 DE events and it looks to be most likely to be exactly as much for me per season in average, so, regular 2 annual oil changes will still fit, perhaps with moving spring oil change more into summer as 5w50 is OK for track as well.
Have you had your used oil analyzed after 5-6 DE's? Very curious to see how both the oil and engine hold up.

JP
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
Have you had your used oil analyzed after 5-6 DE's? Very curious to see how both the oil and engine hold up.

JP
well, i think you kinda overanalize this issue. 15w50 is as good oil as it can be. any oil deteriorates with time. i change my oil and i see it gets deep brown but not yet totally black, there are no metal particles in it, it smells like it should and does not seem to have any gas diluted in it from what i can say - so for me it means no major issues showing up. i honestly do not see much reasons to distrust mobil brand over some over brand as i do believe honestly they all pour from the same barrel, so to say.

i guess best shot would be if you could use that different brand and post here results - who knows, may be for sure mobil 1 is now a POS oil and really behaves much worse than its competitors. I guess only way to find out is to test it.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am blowing through my last M1 oil, but allways change after 500 miles or less. Make sure you add a ZDDP additive with your M1 store bought oil. My mechanic has been aware of this topic since 05 and seen multiple scored cams from M1 only filled engines. Store bought and whats going into the flying Lizard are different animals. I understand Motul has product in 5 qrt package, which should also be reasonable in price.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
I am blowing through my last M1 oil, but allways change after 500 miles or less. Make sure you add a ZDDP additive with your M1 store bought oil. My mechanic has been aware of this topic since 05 and seen multiple scored cams from M1 only filled engines. Store bought and whats going into the flying Lizard are different animals. I understand Motul has product in 5 qrt package, which should also be reasonable in price.
Yep, Mobil 1 just isnt the same anymore. I lost a motor and cams...
Fine for street cars, not my race cars.
For awhile I used the mobil 1 0w-40 mixed with the Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 motorcycle oil that has extra zddp in it. Then I decided to abandon it all together for track use.
There is a real good Mobil 1 racing oil (likely what FL is using) but its around $15 a quart I believe
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Black bottle?
Yea Don, however, not available at AutoZone anymore.

You can get the online only stuff for around $9/quart and is full synthetic.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

did you mean adding ZDDP even into 15w50 oil?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

did you mean adding ZDDP even into 15w50 oil?
Yes.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Yes.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by utkinpol
can you recommend any particular brand to use? or are they all pretty much the same?
Redline Engine BreakIn Additive works...

Quick Reply: VR-1 20w50 in a Spec Boxster?