Sponsored by:

Question about SmartyCam

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about SmartyCam

First weekend with it. Mixed feelings... I have some complaints and am trying to upload a lap to show my dealer the issues and I've found I have another issue. For some reason, you need a VLC video decoder to run the video. Not a big deal. Download the VLC software and you can view the video. However, when I go to my Sonic DVD Plus video software to burn it to uploadable dvd or MPEG format, the Sonic software doesn't recognize the VLC video. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in feedback, I have similar setup. I am testing this weekend at Sebring.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

GOD, will apple please make a simple video and data system that humans can understand.....
Old 09-09-2010, 01:58 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traqmate dude.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by va122
Traqmate dude.
i have it.
aim pista
traqmate
gbox
chase cam
can't figure any of it out.
if it's harder than iphone, i am not interested.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 764 Posts

Traqmate dude.
Into my 3rd year, checked everything yesterday, but running a Traqmate / Sony remains an experiment every weekend..

I'm with Mooty, except it needs to be as easy as my Blackberry, I'm still scared of i phone.....

I wish I could go FF a few years. Someone will get rish from this idea:
-System without buttons, dealers sets up, installs, comes with laptop and editing software installed.
-System knows at what track it is.
-System records a bunch of camera's and data and automatically merges live.
-System detects Wifi on laptop, it automatically loads to laptop, names files after track / date with time stamp per file.
-System has only say 5 pre-configured ways to analyze data with the video already baked in and synced.
-User can only cut into file and load to youtube.

They'll sell like GoPro camera's at the right price and even at a 3K most will get one.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Into my 3rd year, checked everything yesterday, but running a Traqmate / Sony remains an experiment every weekend..

I'm with Mooty, except it needs to be as easy as my Blackberry, I'm still scared of i phone.....

I wish I could go FF a few years. Someone will get rish from this idea:
-System without buttons, dealers sets up, installs, comes with laptop and editing software installed.
-System knows at what track it is.
-System records a bunch of camera's and data and automatically merges live.
-System detects Wifi on laptop, it automatically loads to laptop, names files after track / date with time stamp per file.
-System has only say 5 pre-configured ways to analyze data with the video already baked in and synced.
-User can only cut into file and load to youtube.

They'll sell like GoPro camera's at the right price and even at a 3K most will get one.
Even half of those features would be a godsend. Unfortunately, unlike an iPhone, there aren't 50 million people ready to buy these things. It's still a relatively low volume item. I keep postponing data acqu waiting for the simple solution. Sadly, as I get older, the system I am going to be able to figure out is getting simpler and simpler.

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

glad that i am not the only one bitchin about data systems.
sure, i can figure it out. but i have real work to do. this is a hobby, as is, i waste too much time on it and i really am not interested analysing the system.

if the system is like what trakcar says, while the mkt aint as large as iphone, it will be pretty big. i think most track nuts will get one. i would have one on everyone of my cars, as i am lazy to move them around. someone pls...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
First weekend with it. Mixed feelings... I have some complaints and am trying to upload a lap to show my dealer the issues and I've found I have another issue. For some reason, you need a VLC video decoder to run the video. Not a big deal. Download the VLC software and you can view the video. However, when I go to my Sonic DVD Plus video software to burn it to uploadable dvd or MPEG format, the Sonic software doesn't recognize the VLC video. Any help would be appreciated.
Peter, I use the AVS Video Editor, cheap and works quite well. AVS also has a Video Converter if you want to use other editors - http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx

I believe you can try them (limited) for free.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Right on Peter............... I just started using the GoPro and love it but have not tried to incorporate with the RacePak IQ3 data. Would love to find a company that goes to the track and does all video and data set up for me.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Well I have all teh same issues... and mine still does not turn on in stand alone mode... in teh cup car no problem thru the Pista.. in the Spec boxster ..only manually works for me...

by the way I have and I am still getting nowhere
Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter what you are fighting with the program is the 'codec' files that it is using. The 'codec' for the SmartyCam files isn't the most common and at least my computer and one other didn't have it(same as yours it would appear). The reason that AIM recommend the VLC player is that the player is one of the few that has their own codecs and can play almost any video file. Great for on the computer, not so helpful if you're trying to make a DVD.

I know exactly where you are coming from It was one of the more frustrating things I dealt with in the beginning of using the SC as well. I found a 'codec' pack online that worked and I've spent some time trying to figure out which one it was but havne't been able to get the exact one and since it's already on my computer I couldn't test if any of the choices I found online worked.

I use the same program that Gary has used and thought it was a good, cheap and easy setup.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2000gt3cup
Well I have all teh same issues... and mine still does not turn on in stand alone mode... in teh cup car no problem thru the Pista.. in the Spec boxster ..only manually works for me...

by the way I have and I am still getting nowhere
When you say not turn on are you meaning record or not power up.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
When you say not turn on are you meaning record or not power up.
I mean I power it up before I get in the car... and it does not record or shut down by itself
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2000gt3cup
I mean I power it up before I get in the car... and it does not record or shut down by itself
The first thing I think if it's not powering up in standalone is a battery issue. The power when it's connected to the MXL is coming down the CAN line from the logger.

Quick Reply: Question about SmartyCam