Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you punted the race leader, would you give the position back (I did, video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some more entertainment, video of Sunday's SM race. I woulda shoulda coulda won this one too, but my rear differential started going out about half way through, and the drag from that slowed my top speeds by 3-5 mph, which let the others stay in the hunt. I still should have won the race. The missed shift exiting T4 on the last lap was brutal.

http://www.vimeo.com/14828635
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Classy move re. the original vid.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to go back to the video but under NASA rules you would get the bad finger for your front to his rear contact. You only earn the line when your front tire is to his door then he has to give you racing room, like 1/2 a car width. is that the standard you go by in SCCA. Of course even if you have the line you have to judge if the guy you are racing with is going to close the door. You may be right but out of the race too.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good move.

I race in NASA and there are rules for punts. If you are the trailing car and knock the lead car off track to pass it is a punt. Not 100% of the time mind you, but alot of the time. If you felt it was like that then good move give spot back and keep racing. This way should you pass him back the spot is yours. If not they may catch it and penalize you later.

Last years NASA championship in 944 spec I was leading and on corner exit got tapped and got a little sideways. I was a sitting duck, but they guy that did it chose not to pass because he knew he would be called for a punt. Heck I would have protested it. Instead he did not pass and allowed me to continute in the lead. I never left the track surface, but did do tank slapper. Anyway later he passed my fair and square. He was never penalzied for a punt since he never passed me. Had the situation be reversed I would have done the same. I want to win, but will not do it dirty even in a National championship race.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

One of the most enjoyable videos I have ever seen.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 PM
MLIN
Instructor

great vid and racing. thanks for sharing.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun video. Good driving! Seems like you have a proper set up too...

BTW, if you were a leading car who closed a door under the braking and got bumped, would you expect another driver to give up his position?

Quick Reply: If you punted the race leader, would you give the position back (I did, video)