Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default E. Paul Dickinson

Here's a link to some articles and information from championship race car driver and certified instructor E. Paul Dickinson. Although you may not be ready for this type of instruction, it gives you a great feel for what a certified instructor can do for you.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/pg_epaul.asp

I would suggest reading the article "Put me in Coach" Great article that Rob Pecori (not Bob as mentioned in the article) wrote for PCA Club Racing's magazine a year ago. Rob is a seasoned Club Racer with over 15 years of instructing experience. With the use of data acqusition and E. Paul's experience, Rob shaved off extra seconds on his lap times on a track he thought he knew well.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartG...In%20Coach.pdf

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-08-2010, 12:05 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the references.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg-

Sign up for the DE part of one of the bigger Club Races. Even if you like to trailer your own car, find a shop that is going to support some racers for the weekend. Turn yourself and the car over to the shop that weekend and just focus on your driving. Whether the group you find has a "pro" instructor or not, you will certainly have Club Race guys in the group that will be more than happy to work on your video, do some right seat driving for a session or two, work on data (if you happen to have some) and even do a couple of laps in your car to give you a good baseline. What you pay for track support for the weekend and the help you get from the guys will certainly defray your "pro" costs.

Not trying to steer you away from pro coaching at all. It's just that after having done 12 DE's, I'm sure you can learn from a lot of different people, not just a pro. Something else to consider....
Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Greg,
Your questions and approach are excellent! If you are half as level headed and intellegent in person as your post, any good instructor will want to work with you and enjoy the experience. I have a good friend that has worked with Dave (VR) and had a great experience. I know there are many other coaches out there, Dave is the only one I have personal feed back about.
Good Luck
Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks PedroNole. hadn't thought about that. I've actually shied away from DEs associated with club races because it seemed like you got less track time, but your logic makes perfect sense.

Regarding video and data... I bought a GoPro earlier this summer. It's been a lot of fun to play with, but I fear I may have made a mistake buying this single purpose equipment. It appears impossible to use it in conjunction with a data acquisition system like Traqmate, which I have been eyeing. Also, my car has OBDI, which I believe limits the data points that can be monitored. Any suggestions on affordable, simple to use but helpful systems?

RDL, thanks for the recommendation.

everyone... I've been told this forum could be a "brutal" place, but I've got to say I've never had more helpful responses to a post on any of the other forums. Look forward to reporting on the results of trying out your suggestions. Thanks to all.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Greg,
If you have an android phone a cheap method of data aquisition is www.trackeroo.com The Trackmaster program will get you lap times, split times and several other bits of info. Cost is free.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
Greg,
Your questions and approach are excellent! If you are half as level headed and intellegent in person as your post, any good instructor will want to work with you and enjoy the experience. I have a good friend that has worked with Dave (VR) and had a great experience. I know there are many other coaches out there, Dave is the only one I have personal feed back about.
Good Luck

Thanks, I had a really great time working with your friend.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Beside more seat time and instruction it helped me a lot to read some books to better understand basic concepts and strategies. They have been recommended to me by other RLs:

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-M...3996617&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets-...d_bxgy_b_img_b

GL and I agree with you that at this point you better invest in maximizing your driver potential (making the driver faster) compared to making your car faster.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
everyone... I've been told this forum could be a "brutal" place, but I've got to say I've never had more helpful responses to a post on any of the other forums.
Just wait until you start posting lap video...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Just wait until you start posting lap video...
Or ask how quickly you can be moved to the most advanced run group.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this book, on page 119, in the last paragraph, the author clearly states the need to drive...Flat Out.

So this means it's a good book no?

I'm not all the way through...but so far, I haven't found too much I disagree with...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

sounds like you guys have been watching too much Track Day Comedy. are you Richard Alister in the Koenigsegg or Dickiespeedmaster in the GT2?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing I've not seen mentioned is moving away from PCA events and into semi-private or lightly attended days. Track days without run groups and/or little traffic allow you to focus on your goals so much easier.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:09 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
One thing I've not seen mentioned is moving away from PCA events and into semi-private or lightly attended days. Track days without run groups and/or little traffic allow you to focus on your goals so much easier.
+1

That's pretty much all I attend now. Either open lapping (go on/off when you want) or days with two run groups with alternating 30 min sessions. With 3-3.5 hours of seat time each day, you get a ton of time to work on stuff. A friend and I share a pro coach at days like this so we each get 3+ hours of pro instruction for a very reasonable cost.

Best thing I ever did to advance my driving skills.

Cheers,
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab

Regarding video and data... I bought a GoPro earlier this summer. It's been a lot of fun to play with, but I fear I may have made a mistake buying this single purpose equipment. It appears impossible to use it in conjunction with a data acquisition system like Traqmate, which I have been eyeing. Also, my car has OBDI, which I believe limits the data points that can be monitored. Any suggestions on affordable, simple to use but helpful systems?

TrackVision software will marry your GoPro video with your data acquisition file. Here's the link:

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1806.htm

Quick Reply: Coaching Question