Sponsored by:

Coaching Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coaching Question

First post on this forum. usually on 993 board. Decided yesterday that before I invest any more on improving my car, I should invest in improving the driver. I've done 12 DEs over the last few years and am solo at most events now. While I found a few DE instructors were very helpful, others were just there to get a discount. It's very hit and miss. Being solo I'm not getting any feedback, so I'm probably just reinforcing my bad habits. I don't know if I will ever want to race, but I know I have to improve and gain more confidence if I ever decide I do. So, my question is how would one go about finding a good pro coach/instructor?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Greg
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
First post on this forum. usually on 993 board. Decided yesterday that before I invest any more on improving my car, I should invest in improving the driver. I've done 12 DEs over the last few years and am solo at most events now. While I found a few DE instructors were very helpful, others were just there to get a discount. It's very hit and miss. Being solo I'm not getting any feedback, so I'm probably just reinforcing my bad habits. I don't know if I will ever want to race, but I know I have to improve and gain more confidence if I ever decide I do. So, my question is how would one go about finding a good pro coach/instructor?

Greg
Greg, If you are fully signed off (typically called white group), you can always ask around for instructors to go out with you... as long as you have a reputation as a serious driver who works hard to listen and learn, you'll always find top notch guys who are willing to help you.

If you are still a Green/Blue student, talk to the chief instructor... if you have a good reputation as a serious student, he may be able to assign you to one of the more experienced instructors for your next event.

Most of the better instructors are thrilled to get a good student for the weekend... the paddock is a small world... word gets around.

You can always spend $$$ for a pro driving school, but IMHO, the top tier of PCA instructors are some of the best racers/instructors around.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Greg, If you are fully signed off (typically called white group), you can always ask around for instructors to go out with you... as long as you have a reputation as a serious driver who works hard to listen and learn, you'll always find top notch guys who are willing to help you.

If you are still a Green/Blue student, talk to the chief instructor... if you have a good reputation as a serious student, he may be able to assign you to one of the more experienced instructors for your next event.

Most of the better instructors are thrilled to get a good student for the weekend... the paddock is a small world... word gets around.

You can always spend $$$ for a pro driving school, but IMHO, the top tier of PCA instructors are some of the best racers/instructors around.
+1....
Old 09-06-2010, 06:09 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

+2.....well said.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
This is the absolute truth. Nothing like having a student with innate talent and a desire to learn. And some of the best PCA instructors are also pro coaches. You can try them out for the cost of a PCA DE, and if you find one that works for you, then talk with them about a private coaching day.

There are also some pro coaches that skulk around RennList.

VR in 5..., 4..., 3...
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab

Greg

Greg, others here have made great points, so I won't rehash them. However, I will ask: what are your goals from more focused, individual instruction/coaching? Often, understanding yourself is the first step in finding a "good fit" with someone you want to work with you. As JCP and mglobe said, there are many good PCA instructors who are there for more than just the discount/free track time.

Feel free to contact me by PM if you'd like to discuss in greater depth....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 09-06-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typos ;-)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the quick and thoughtful responses. I must admit that it had never occurred to me to ask the chief instructor to assign a more experienced instructor. I was signed off in March at an Alabama PCA event at Barber Motorsports Park and have been in "Group 3" at two subsequent PCA events at Barber and Road Atlanta since then. I've also done three other private promoter events this year... those guys have some good instructors but they are usually overwhelmed with a large number of novices. I'm hoping to go to another PCA event in a few weeks. I'll contact the chief instructor.

Raptor... I'm going to send you a PM.

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Greg,
Your a smart man !!
Improve yourself,you can't go wrong !!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg, You may want to get more involved. Advice above is great, but one other issue is exactly what you said that a lot of instructors get bogged down with multiple students. By getting to know some of the staff (especially instructors) you will know who to get straight advice and coaching from without stepping on toes. I have been in the situation where multiple drivers want seat time and you cannot always spend time with everyone especially if they are in the same run group. Help with tech, registration, grid, etc and you will find a bunch of happy willing support people willing to lend you some time. Not that they won't try otherwise just that it will be easier to get some quality coaching. Once you can self-teach and know the cars attitude under various setting of the shocks/sways, then a pro coach can really tweak that last bit of time you may want. A pro coach will push you past your comfort and focus on speed and consistency. A top level instructor is likely your best option until maybe 50 to 100 track days ( but that depends a lot on how quickly you pick up certain skills). Good luck!!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a pro coach and found it incredibly helpful. He would be on the radio while I raced, helped with car set up, helping me find the last .1s. Doesn't sound like that's where you are...

The PCA has some very experienced instructors, but you're right it is a crapshoot.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Victor, You are correct... I'm not where you were in flogging out the last 10ths in a racing environment. I'm looking forward to getting there though!!!

Here's part of a PM I sent to Veloce Raptor regarding my goals. Maybe it will fire off some other thoughts...

My main goal is to gain more confidence... in my abilities and in my car. Early last year in the second DE in my new to me 993, I spun and was hit by a car I had just passed. It was my first ever spin and it was costly to fix and probably to my confidence.

Since then I've done some upgrades to the suspension and am using R compound tires. The mods and more seat time have made me more comfortable, but I know I'm leaving a lot of time out there by small things... like getting out of the throttle earlier than necessary (know I did this on the back straight at Road Atlanta) and braking more than necessary (example: turn 5 at Putnam Park).

I think I need someone to help push me. Help me figure out more aggressive braking points... help me get more comfortable with how quickly tough corners come up when you are going faster, etc.

The other thing I'd really like is for a very experienced driver to drive my car and provide feedback on the setup, other things I might do to improve it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
va122
Drifting

I'm sure you'll get there one day if that's your goal and you stick to it.

From what I read of your PM you were in an incident in your second DE and your confidence was rattled. Some private instruction may help you. Having someone dedicated to you for the day can work wonders.

Listen, you need someone in the right seat for a while longer. Since your're signed off you can have a session with an instructor and spend the next session practicing what you just learned.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks Victor. It was my second DE in the 993. I had already done three or four in my 996 cab and had done the one day program at the Porsche Driving School. But, you are correct... my confidence was rattled and having a seasoned, articulate person in the right seat would be very helpful. That's exactly what I'm looking for!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 PM
va122
Drifting

let us know what you decide,
Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are definitely some instructors lurking around that have much more experience than others... Just need to find out who they are. If you do decide to hire, I have used both Dave Russell and Tom Long. Both were awesome. Could go on for hours about how good they were, but don't need to fill up the thread.

Quick Reply: Coaching Question