Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Time did you spend in AX, DEs or TT before racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
As soon as I became runner-up National DE Champion I knew it was time to move on.
LOL...you get what I'm saying then.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That's a very, very interesting path, and completely understandable.
Thanks.

During a race weekend, the closest thing to DE's are the practice sessions...but without the necessary point-bys, etc. They're still not the same. Meanwhile, AX is good for mental visualization exercise, but is lacking in actual seat time.

If one has the budget, I would recommend wheel-to-wheel racing sooner rather than later...I'd consider going back to karting before I go DE. For a more safe wtw racing, I would do vintage racing and race below 8/10s.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree with the general concept that AX/DE/TT practice to at least the point of proficiency in driving skills is a healthy prelude to W2W racing.

But I have a small quibble with the intermittent sub-text that AX/DE/TT events are simply for n00bs. This forum often sees posts (from just a minority, or course) implying that because someone chooses to DE or TT instead of race, that he/she must know little or nothing about high-performance driving. Rationally, there is no basis for this. The main skill-set distinguishing the two activities is "racecraft" which is entirely distinct from getting around a course as quickly as possible ("driving").

If you have local DE/TT events that allow you to push yourself, run data-aq, etc... then in theory there is very little about "driving" that you cannot learn by running those events, without having to worry about the extra skills/risks inherent to racecraft and W2W racing. Just wanted to put that out there.

I know I am in the minority here: 3 years AX, 10 years DE/TT, with the past 7 of those years as PCA Natl certified instructor, and ZERO W2W experience so far other than some rent-a-kart bs. But maybe someday. At this point I am still in love with driving and don't need the headache of racing.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
so the guys I was pointing by would look at my car, give me tips, and their old tires...
Funny how helpful the experienced fast guys are to us starting out when you show brains out there. It may have been nearly 30 years ago, but I remember those guys in my early days more than the ones I drove straight up with 8-10 years ago when I campaigned the RSA.

Originally Posted by quickxotica
don't need the headache of racing.
What headache? It was hilariously fun to run a low end NCRC/ARC race a couple of months ago in the Spec Miata. Hadn't done a wheel-to-wheel in 5 years. (Don't confuse that with not having done nearly all of my events in the past decade in open passing format.) Started 8/8 in race 2, worked my way up to the lead by the end of lap 1. All I did was roll up to the track the day before, make sure the tires had air, the lugs were torqued, the car had gas and oil. Strapped in the next day and went. Practice/qual/race 1/race 2. Rolled the car in the garage, shut the door, took a shower, and left. If I hadn't been gone for the past week I could probably leave now and roll the car out for their event tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

25 months from first DE to first race. A total of 18 DE's before my first race. I hired Dave Scott to ride with me at a couple of open track days during that time period. That helped me a lot, and I would have needed quite a few more DE's to be race-ready otherwise. I think that was a bit of a hurried schedule quite honestly, but I did my first DE at age 51, and figured there was no time to waste.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

7 years
190 days
then raced last year.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 months from first DE to open wheel racing a Formula Mazda. Race school in a formula continental on slicks got me hooked. I really enjoy the quality of racing in a spec miata, but the car is a pig compared to an open wheeler.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

I ran 2 years of autoX with 2 different clubs, so basically 4 seasons... Then DEs for almost 4 years running AT LEAST 10 events a year. Then did a skip barber 3-day, then started racing last year. Honestly, I took too long before doing it.

I never recommend jumping into racing right away to friends. I know a few people who have no experience, did a skip barber, got a license, and are racing with me. On a perfect lap, the time isn't far off mine despite the years extra I have been doing it. However if conditions change, if the brakes/tires start to get too hot, etc. my friend's time falls off drastically. To me it is all about being comfortable. I was always raised in driving being told that you should be so comfortable in a car, you shouldn't even be thinking about driving. When you can focus on anything but the line and still run 90%+ then you are good to go.

Idk... I took my time. I prefer to be over-prepared and do it right. Did I take too long? Probably. Oh well. All I have to do is concentrate on passing. Makes it easier to race.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I did the occasional autox in university, badly. Never did a DE. Then about 10 years later, I built a racecar and went to race school. Raced that IT car hard for 8 years, then turned it over to my wife and am finishing off a Sports Racer (like a Radical, only faster). Time for something with more challenges to learn.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

-one thing to think about when making the jump from DE to racing, is at some point the racing is a lot like work.

You invest so much time, money and energy to make sure nothing goes wrong... its a real obsession. -brakes bedded, tires heat cycled, ordering parts, every nut and bolt checked so nothing will give you a dredded DNF. Just hours and hours spent, so nothing can ruin your chance for points in a seasons run for a championship... all for a twenty dollar trophy! -that part I do not miss a bit.

At the DE you get the car tech-ed and go. its just a fun time! and sooooo much cheaper in time and money!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

4 years of Motocross (before they invented suspension)
12 years of DE (before it was even called that)
Skippy, Bertil, Track One, and Russell Schools
3 years of karting (largely simultaneous)
3 years Radio Control (don't laugh!)
2 years of excuses
Now racing for over 10.
Hey, I told you guys I just had another birthday....
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attended 1 Bondurant race school course then 2 months later I started racing Spec Racer Fords in SCCA very much a momentum car with someting like 115 HP. It forced you to learn balance through the corners to carry as much speed as possible and really learn to feel what the car was doing on the track to be fast. During the same time period I started building my 911 for the SCCA GT2 class and I have been racing it for 3 years.
I have never had an on track accident and in the begining there where a few offs but nothing like Boston. I have always finished well in my class with the exception of few DNF and a DNS due to car trouble.

In hind sight I whish I had done some AutoX, I think the skills developed there would have helped in learning new tracks quicker and with suspension tunning.

Don't get me wrong I know I still have a lot to learn and I have yet to reach the full potential of the car I built.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Bought car April 2005
1 season of AX
3 years of DE
First race October 2008

Going pro next week?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

14 Months of DE's & track days with lot's of coaching. That amounted to maybe 30 track days at 6 difierent race tracks.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
-one thing to think about when making the jump from DE to racing, is at some point the racing is a lot like work.

You invest so much time, money and energy to make sure nothing goes wrong... its a real obsession. -brakes bedded, tires heat cycled, ordering parts, every nut and bolt checked so nothing will give you a dredded DNF. Just hours and hours spent, so nothing can ruin your chance for points in a seasons run for a championship... all for a twenty dollar trophy! -that part I do not miss a bit.

At the DE you get the car tech-ed and go. its just a fun time! and sooooo much cheaper in time and money!
I suppose you could take the "edge" off racing and make it more DE-like if you are able to ignore the points and the championship and just run each race and lap for the moment. I doubt that I will be able to run anything close to the full schedule when I get started in racing, so points and championships will not be a factor.

Quick Reply: How Much Time did you spend in AX, DEs or TT before racing?