Sponsored by:

Monticello - will it survive?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
What is lost here is that the contracts between MMC and the clubs require, I believe, that the clubs reserve 8 spaces in each run group for MMC members to drive. So the members probably weren’t really losing any time as long as they didn’t mind driving with the common folk.
Same with spring mountain in Vegas where I'm a member. They rent out to clubs and the members must be able to run for free. Sometimes we have our own run group sometimes not. I dint mind that the clubs come its fun to dice it up with my PCA buddies and participating in the time attacks.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK - so this year instead of opening the track to other car cllubs for 8 days, they did 16. And a few of the MMC members got their panties in a bunch over this, which is understandable.

So ----
1. Anyone know if they will open the track to other car clubs next year for the agreed upon 8 days? (Or do they have to wait until 2012?)
2. If so, anyone know what car clubs will be invited to be a tthe track? I assume Ferrari Club would be one. What about PCA? Or is all this hush-hush?!?

-Z-man.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What is lost here is that the contracts between MMC and the clubs require, I believe, that the clubs reserve 8 spaces in each run group for MMC members to drive. So the members probably weren’t really losing any time as long as they didn’t mind driving with the common folk.

That's a real smart way of doing that. Can't see why anyone would complain.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

You need to keep in mind that the "Membership" are on a totally different level then us normal car people. They can shut it down to everyone else and not worry about the lost profits....
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Actually I believe it's 5 spaces, not 8, but you're absolutely right about the rest of this post. Plus, I don't think the club has ever filled up all 5 spots for any club event. Not for any I've attended anyway.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I was at Monticello Monday 8/30 with the BMWCCA. At the driver's meeting the MMC representative confirmed that the "rumors" were true and that clubs would not be invited next year with a few exceptions. Basically there will be no full course events for clubs and there may be a few short course events available. The physical plant is great but I would not rush to go back. The long straights all ended with very slow turns. Then these were connected with very late apex, "squeeze on the throttle" sweeping turns. I'm looking forward to Watkins Glen.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree... With WGI just an 1.5 from my house... MMC is not that strong of a draw for me (have driven it and thought it was fun~just WGI is better)... nor is the area a big attraction. Use to do a fair amount of business in Middletown... It is sad when Syracuse has more to offer.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

I heard the real issue was that the guests, i.e, clubs, were consistently posting faster times than MMC members and this led to the change in policy.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zman, now that the kitchen is done, maybe you can get a membership there and not worry so much
Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Well, I throw my 2 cents into the track.

I'm a member at MMC. Personally, I use it as a training facility to work on my driving, to enjoy the cars, and to get better. For those purposes, its probably the best thing i've spent my money on in a long long time.

I live in North Jersey, right near the NY border, and its a simple 70 minute trip up. On pure member days, I can park my hauler right next to pit lane and basically its open hot pit lane, unlimited laps, no run groups, all day. The staff there is wicked knowledgeable. THey have several grand am and other pro drivers who will jump in with me and give me a few tips, check on my progress and what not.

On some member days, ive found myself out there for entire sessions without running into anyone. sometimes, i love that. i can work on technique and trying some stuff that i might not otherwise try in a crowd. OTher times, there are some really good drivers sharing a 3.5 mile, 17turn? track.

The reality is, with only 200, 300 members, some of whom might only go up 7, 10 days/year, there is AMPLE time for the track to rent the facility to third party groups. That revenue helps ensure things are in top shape. While i agree it has some things to do if it wants to become a full fledge race course, the place is always well kept and ideal for my purposes and the purposes of man others.

I know the guys up there quite well. I have never heard anyone say it would not be available for rent. Now, i can say that i've been up there after certain clubs have rented it, and they leave the parking lots a mess, crap everywhere, the invitees/participants hit rails and fences; i've been to quite a few club days as a member who is permitted to join the run groups. (FYI, most of the time, its 1 or 2 members that join club rental days so there is tons of ample space to join). some of the clubs act respectfully, and some of these clubs think the motorsports world rises and falls on their breath. ive seen club management dictate to the track staff how they want the pitlanes etc. when the track knows the track better than anyone, what is safest, and what is most effective.

But more importantly, given the prestine condition of the track, its exclusive nature, they have been blessed with TONS of big corporate rentals. ie. BMW, Audi, Cadillac...they rent it for 4,5 days at full fare. they bring all their salesman or best customers. instead of 200 nut jobs looking to squeeze the last ounce of driving before bolting and leaving their crap behind, they get top manufacturers, dealership, corporate entities renting it with 1/3 the footprint adn foot traffic.

lets see...rent if for $9k/day and have 300 loonie toons banging into the guard rails, or get $11k from Mercedes? tough choice.

I love LimeRock. i belong there. thats a REAL hard core race track. same with NJMP. butthey all have their issues.

living 70minutes from MMC, putting the money aside, i think it could be one of the best assets and resources available to a motorsports enthusiast in the north east.

remember, the 25k member is ONE -time. annualize that over either YOUR life or the life of the club.

i wouldnt be 1/2 the driver i am without having a track so readily available.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Fyi, here is the rental schedule for this week;

Labor Day
Events: Motorcycle Event - 66 Course
Events: Audi Club (Full): Slots Avail
Events: Lexus LFA Launch Slots Avail, Member Access: Full Course
Events: Member Access: Full Course, Lexus LFA Launch
Events: Member Access: Full Course
Grand-Am Continental Series (M
Events: Sector 111 - Lotus on Full, Member Access: Full Course
Events: Sector 111 - Lotus on Full, Member Access: Full Course
Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
remember, the 25k member is ONE -time. annualize that over either YOUR life or the life of the club.
So you paid your 25k to join and that is it? No annual dues? No other fees? Ever?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
So you paid your 25k to join and that is it? No annual dues? No other fees? Ever?
http://monticellomotorclub.com/membership/compare/
Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
annual dues for sure. i dont recall precisely what they are but a few grand.
I want to live in your world. Where I don't even know the exact cost of a few thousand dollars in yearly dues.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine at spring mountain are monthly plus a per use fee. They both are pretty low, like 250/mo and 60/use

Quick Reply: Monticello - will it survive?!?