Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interseries Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I think in the next few years, the first gen Cayman S will become the builder of choice. Picking one up with be cheap, the mileage on the engines will be such that a 3.8l swap becomes justifiable, and there will be many of them to choose from.
Totally agree.

It is also possible to build a nearly equivalent car using a Gen1 as a platform. There is a bit more work needed to ensure reliablility, but the result will be equal/nearly equal (lower HP) for lower cost.
Why do you say lower HP? I understood the engines were stock and that the ECI was modded only to allow less PSM interference and then sealed. Am I wrong??
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A guy in our club has 2 of these , one for him and one for his son. They race in the series but only do the east of the Mississippi races. They bring them to DE's for practice and sorting. They are as fast as a GT3. One has the Lowenbrau paint scheme and the other is the gold Miller Beer design. Cool cars.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Why do you say lower HP? I understood the engines were stock and that the ECI was modded only to allow less PSM interference and then sealed. Am I wrong??
Just noting that the Gen1 car has less HP from the factory than the Gen 2 car and, as a result, may not be completely equal. A modified Gen 1 car can certainly be made more powerful than a stock Gen 2, but...

My blueprinted Gen 1 puts 298 or 303 to the wheels (two different dynos) with a stock intake and ECU plus catless headers and Fabspeed catback.

Car was 2934 with 210# driver and some fuel (and stock exhaust) and recently ran a 1:37.6 at Laguna Seca on R6s.

Cheers,
Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

What are the +/- of running this car verses spec boxster?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ krokodil had done a GREAT job developing his car. it was one of the first caymans s iirc. based on his time at LS two weekends ago, gen one car maybe be the way to go if you are willing to sort out some issues.

also CGomez (J. Furey's ex car) is also an early car and CG sure is driving the **** out of that thing and beating up the competitions.

earnie jakubowski's yellow car is fast and deveolped as well.
And Carlos has managed mods to stay in class I where the car is more competitive than in GTB-1
Old 09-02-2010, 01:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
MUCH faster
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
A guy in our club has 2 of these , one for him and one for his son. They race in the series but only do the east of the Mississippi races. They bring them to DE's for practice and sorting. They are as fast as a GT3. One has the Lowenbrau paint scheme and the other is the gold Miller Beer design. Cool cars.
Not!

My mechanic has an early 70s 911 RSR replica w/o the light weight body parts. At the last race on Hutchinson Island he spanked them all by more than a second. This includes the one driven by JC France. They are nice and have all the latest electronics, are very well prepared but are not as fast as a GT3 nor his 1970s low tech 911.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 832 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Well let's start with 60% more horsepower in the Cayman! Handling wise, they will be similar, though the Cayman should be marginally better. When run in GTB1, the Cayman can run slicks vs. the Toyos required in spec boxster. Net net the cayman will be much, much faster, but also have higher operating costs (speed always cost more money).

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Not!

My mechanic has an early 70s 911 RSR replica w/o the light weight body parts. At the last race on Hutchinson Island he spanked them all by more than a second. This includes the one driven by JC France. They are nice and have all the latest electronics, are very well prepared but are not as fast as a GT3 nor his 1970s low tech 911.
You have to consider who is driving the car. Equal drivers, there is no way a 70s 911 w/~320hp is as fast as a modern Cayman interseries. I could believe that a Cayman is as fast as a street GT3, as it weighs quite a bit less, but there is no way a Cayman is as fast as a GT3 cup.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I could believe that a Cayman is as fast as a street GT3, as it weighs quite a bit less, but there is no way a Cayman is as fast as a GT3 cup.
right on.

it's not a interseries caymans, but very well prepped gen 1 cay s (not street car, stripped caged, it's a race car)
it's not a cup car but a stripped 2850lbs 6gt3 (caged blah blah, the usual)
both on R6
both did 1:37 at LS.
the cay beat me by 1/10 of a second.
they are very close.
however, it wont' be as fast as a cup car for sure.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Just wait until next year when I introduce alternative gear ratios for the Caymans(which I seriously doubt will be considered or retrofitted to Interseries cars). Right now the GT3 guys can play with all manner of ratios and have a huge leg up on the Cayman drivers in that department. It's our plan to level the playing field a little bit with a couple of close ratio kits suited to the shorter tracks you guys have in the West and some of the longer faster places you find on the East Coast. Mind you I am not saying that this is going to make them Cup Car fast. But it's going to let them give any GT3 street car with track oriented mods a run for their money.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Aren't they running with PCA next year?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:06 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
Aren't they running with PCA next year?
Are you saying that the HSR series is going to end after this year? If so, it's not something I have heard about.

I already see Interseries cars running at most PCA club races that I attend. The Shell car was at the one here in Colorado a couple of weeks ago.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GTgears
Are you saying that the HSR series is going to end after this year? If so, it's not something I have heard about.

I already see Interseries cars running at most PCA club races that I attend. The Shell car was at the one here in Colorado a couple of weeks ago.
I thought I read it in CRN. I may have been dreaming... Let me go look for it...
Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

ah ha...I wasn't dreaming...

Page 4, first sentence.

http://www.pca.org/portals/crn/CRN-2010-2.pdf
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
ah ha...I wasn't dreaming...

Page 4, first sentence.

http://www.pca.org/portals/crn/CRN-2010-2.pdf
That's great, but I do hope the Interseries Category becomes more "inclusive" and allows the Gen I Cayman S, with just a different weight (advantage due to lower power). That will make it a lot easier for many people to DIY their build at a lower cost than the Napleton cars. Coming up with the right weight "handicap" should be easy by running the cars side by side at the same track (maybe allowing for a midyear review?).

The Cayman S with less weight and the Big Wing is SO MUCH better to drive (and FASTER) than the heavier Stock class setup. Also, it is cheaper to run as it is easier in consumables.

Quick Reply: Interseries Cayman