Sponsored by:

Rally driving at a PCA race..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Listen, I don't want to be too hard on you as we all need to learn from our experiences, but coming here posting this and hoping to get the support from others saying "that's cool, we all do this every race weekend"
I don't believe anyone here has given him that "support", nor hhas anyone suggested any of us does this "every race weekend".

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Charlie I am at 210 HP with 2906 lbs.......
You are at 201 HP with 2650 lbs.......

Who has the momentum car?.......
We both do. THEY ARE ALL MOMENTUM CARS!

I also call BS that your engine is making stock hp for a Carrera. I'm sure the headers and exhaust help it. If you gain even 10hp from those mods, which I bet is conservative, your p/w would be nearly identical to mine (I weighed in at 2696 and 2716 the TWO times I was called to the scales this weekend). Not that it changes my answer to the momentum car question, my point is, don't whine.

Even if my car has a better power to weight ratio than yours, do you think that I'm not driving as hard or harder than you are?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
You should be giving it all you got in any car. That is racing. You just have to recognize your mistakes earlier so that you can correct and not go off track as a result (heck, you don't even want to slide - that burns time and gives openings to competitors, too).
I agree with Charlie on giving all you got. I disagree (obviously) with not even wanting to slide, and avoiding any offs.... Paolo you are still new (so i am) to all of this. As long as you stay in control and don't collect others or cause any carnage (or any incident), exercises that help you find your limit will help in general. And yes, i did rally (once).

However

2nd sequence in your vid Paolo was a little... hmmm
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Last reply from me.

Do what you want . Listen to who you want. I was wrong, you were right. You are a good driver and I like you. I won't see you coming anyway since you will probably end in the wall sooner than later before you have this opportunity. (not that I wish that, really).
Now that was a truly idiotic response!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Charlie just did...

There was no critique from me of the great Fast Fred. We all know you drive off track on purpose. But it sounds like the NASA guy earlier in the thread wouldn't like you at his races.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Paolo:

USE ALL THE TRACK!!!

First off-track: You exit T4 nicely and then aim for the middle of the track for T5 turnin. Sometimes it's difficult to get the car fully to the right for T5 turn in. But your aren't trying. You're 10' off at turn-in. (I'll give you credit if there was someone on your tail.)

Slide at Octopus: My line is much tighter. IMHO, the wide entry like looks better, but there's a slight crown on the road and by staying inside it gives the car some banking. Just my $0.02.

2nd off at T5: Same as above. Poor entry.

Off at T4: Looks like too much speed and lost it during entry.

Also, in all 4 cases the rear end comes arrounds. In 3 of the cases, it's too much oversteer under acceleration. You should try softening the rear-sway bars or decreasing the rear bump on the shocks.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I also call BS that your engine is making stock hp for a Carrera.
Charlie - that engine was built close to 10 years ago by Dawes and dynoed last year at 210 at the wheels. It amazing that it is in the shape it is after 10 years of Racing and DE's! I would just suggest you should check your facts before telling someone he is lying... just sayin.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Charlie - that engine was built 10 years ago by Dawes and dynoed last year at 210 at the wheels. It amazing that it is in the shape it is after 10 years of Racing and DE's!.
210 at the wheels, so assuming the conservative 15% drivetrain loss, the engine is making 240+ hp?

It is interesting that you're noting that Paolo was comparing crank to at the wheels horsepower. Big difference.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

There was no critique from me of the great Fast Fred. We all know you drive off track on purpose. But it sounds like the NASA guy earlier in the thread wouldn't like you at his races.
Charlie, come on... of all people you shouldn't bite.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Charlie - that engine was built close to 10 years ago by Dawes and dynoed last year at 210 at the wheels. It amazing that it is in the shape it is after 10 years of Racing and DE's! I would just suggest you should check your facts before telling someone he is lying...
Oh, I see this "check the facts" addition. I guess Paolo should recognize the difference between quoting crank and rear wheel horsepower. I also point out that you have solidly agreed that I was right that his car is making no where close to stock Carrera power.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Charlie - I was stating the facts, that Paolo knows nothing of the formula and just that his car dyno'd at 210 to the wheels. He wasn't trying to BS you, as far as he knows YOU are talking RWHP. My point was before calling someone a liar maybe try and understand where he is coming from. That's it...
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We both do. THEY ARE ALL MOMENTUM CARS!

I also call BS that your engine is making stock hp for a Carrera. I'm sure the headers and exhaust help it. If you gain even 10hp from those mods, which I bet is conservative, your p/w would be nearly identical to mine (I weighed in at 2696 and 2716 the TWO times I was called to the scales this weekend). Not that it changes my answer to the momentum car question, my point is, don't whine.

Even if my car has a better power to weight ratio than yours, do you think that I'm not driving as hard or harder than you are?
Send me your e-mail, I will forward you last year's dyno..........

It am still the original 10 yr old engine Ron had Dawes build for him.......

As far as the driving, my hat is off to you Charlie, you are a veteran with an estabilished record, I am still a rookie........
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I guess you are close friends. Happy to see that your relationship is strong.
He has a lot of friends.
When is the 2010 Cup coming? I'm jealous!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess you are close friends. Happy to see that your relationship is strong.
I have many friends and respect all of them in the Rennsport region, unfortunately you didn't make the cut........
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

This thread has epic potential. Subscribed.
Quick, someone insult me please!

Quick Reply: Rally driving at a PCA race..........