Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally driving at a PCA race..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rally driving at a PCA race..........

Am I the only one that makes mistakes while driving flat out and at the limit?

I gave up a 3rd place in class in the second sprint (starting 36th due to a busted belt in Sprint 1) and 2nd place in the third sprint for pushing too hard........

still happy with overall week-end race results......

Does the following happen to any of you if you decide to drive out of the "comfort zone".....

How do you handle the pressure of dancing at the limit and not making mistakes that costs you podium positions?......

All racers inputs are welcome.........

http://vimeo.com/14560018
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

You are not going to like my reply, but you did ask ....

Two things keep me from being a habitual spinner in a race:

1) To finish first, you first must finish
2) I never want to be 'that guy' who people talk about in the paddock as being eratic and dangerous. The guy no one wants to go into a corner door to door with because they lack the talent or brains to do it safely. The guy who no one tries to pass because its dangerous and it just better to drive behind them, filling their mirrors, until they spin on their own.

How could you possibly be happy with the weekend's result if you spun twice? If this is considered a successful weekend, I would suggest you reset your goals for the next weekend you race.

As a series director with NASA, I would be having a chat with you after your second spin and would be trying to explain the importance of driving within your own abilities for the above stated reasons. You'd also be on watch by the head series director and a repeat performance could have you demoted back to time trials. (We actually did that once this year until the driver learned to keep his car on the track)

This reminds me of a guy I raced with a couple of years ago. He was certainly faster than me but I beat him nearly every time due to his eventual spin. Just think about the consequences, it should be clear that on average you will get a better result but slowing down a bit and staying on track. If you don't know where that point is, where you KNOW you can complete a race without spinning, you might not be ready to race yet despite having fast lap times.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is NO "comfort zone" in racing...

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough ...."
Mario Andretti
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc

2) I never want to be 'that guy' who people talk about in the paddock as being eratic and dangerous. The guy no one wants to go into a corner door to door with because they lack the talent or brains to do it safely. The guy who no one tries to pass because its dangerous and it just better to drive behind them, filling their mirrors, until they spin on their own.

How could you possibly be happy with the weekend's result if you spun twice? If this is considered a successful weekend, I would suggest you reset your goals for the next weekend you race.

As a series director with NASA, I would be having a chat with you after your second spin and would be trying to explain the importance of driving within your own abilities for the above stated reasons. You'd also be on watch by the head series director and a repeat performance could have you demoted back to time trials. (We actually did that once this year until the driver learned to keep his car on the track)

This reminds me of a guy I raced with a couple of years ago. He was certainly faster than me but I beat him nearly every time due to his eventual spin. Just think about the consequences, it should be clear that on average you will get a better result but slowing down a bit and staying on track. If you don't know where that point is, where you KNOW you can complete a race without spinning, you might not be ready to race yet despite having fast lap times.
Thanks for your reply, but obviously you didn't see the video........

There were NO SPINS......

BTW, I don't consider the fact of Scott Leader from Speed Secrets coming over after the race and expressing that he had a great time racing with me a sign of being crazy, stupid or out of control..........

Anybody can show the "pretty" stuff........ not many have the ***** to show their mistakes..........
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lipamax
There is NO "comfort zone" in racing...

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough ...."
Mario Andretti
AMEN BROTHER........
Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks for your reply, but obviously you didn't see the video........

There were NO SPINS......

BTW, I don't consider the fact of Scott Leader from Speed Secrets coming over after the race and expressing that he had a great time racing with me a sign of being crazy, stupid or out of control..........

Anybody can show the "pretty" stuff........ not many have the ***** to show their mistakes..........
Oh, I watched it. I was being kind. Going 4-off shows even less car control than a spin.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Am I the only one that makes mistakes while driving flat out and at the limit?

I gave up a 3rd place in class in the second sprint (starting 36th due to a busted belt in Sprint 1) and 2nd place in the third sprint for pushing too hard........

still happy with overall week-end race results......

Does the following happen to any of you if you decide to drive out of the "comfort zone".....

How do you handle the pressure of dancing at the limit and not making mistakes that costs you podium positions?......

All racers inputs are welcome.........

http://vimeo.com/14560018

LOL...excellent video, actually, and yes I give you credit for posting it, Paolo!

As a steward/race director for another series (that is televised & pays big $$$ for real prize money), I can say that there is nothing on those videos that would cause me to have to have a talk with you.

At any rate....to answer your question, I believe that a combination of seat time & mindset discipline are key to maintaining those podium spots the next time you race. By mindset, I mean using your conscious in thinking 2 corners ahead, not the corner you are at, and letting your subconscious handle the corner you are at. You have the motor skills, obviously. I suspect you are not far enough ahead of your car in race conditions.

JMHO, never having ridden with you (yet).

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Oh, I watched it. I was being kind. Going 4-off shows even less car control than a spin.
OK, I am going to quit PCA racing, I am obviously a danger........

Can you coach me so I can win all my DEs?........
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL...excellent video, actually, and yes I give you credit for posting it, Paolo!

As a steward/race director for another series (that is televised & pays big $$$ for real prize money), I can say that there is nothing on those videos that would cause me to have to have a talk with you.

At any rate....to answer your question, I believe that a combination of seat time & mindset discipline are key to maintaining those podium spots the next time you race. By mindset, I mean using your conscious thinking 2 corners ahead, not the corner you are at, and letting your subconscious handle the corner you are at. You have the motor skills, obviously. I suspect you are not far enough ahead of yoru car in race conditions.

JMHO, never having ridden with you (yet).

Thanks Dave, how about riding with me at the Glen next year?
Or am I too crazy, stupid and with a lack of talent?........
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

If you would chastise Paolo for a little tank slapper he safely brought back under control I guess you would simply HANG Fred Constantineau if you ever saw him race!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Thanks Dave, how about riding with me at the Glen next year?
Or am I too crazy, stupid and with a lack of talent?........
I would love to. Seriously.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

It's not like he passed under a double yellow. Or did he......?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Gary, again, thank you very much for all your help as my Crew Chief and mentor for this week-end.......

I couldn't have done it without your help.......

Also a big thanks to Bela Sztanko (E class winner) for helping me out with my fan belt.......

Lastly, thanks are due also to the Dan Jacobs crew, Dan, Dave and Jerry for their help........

OK, now........... does anyone have more comments or am I the only one that goes off in the pursuit of podium?

BTW, at the Glen, where the runoffs are basically non-existent, I had no grass excursions.........could that be just a coincidence?..........
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I would love to. Seriously.

OK, you have a year to increase your courage.........
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Blah, blah, blah.....

Quick Reply: Rally driving at a PCA race..........