Sponsored by:

Trailer AC recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:35 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Trailer AC recommendation?

Getting ready to order a roof top ac unit for my 24' enclosed trailer. I live in FL, so I want to get the best 15k btu unit I can. Carrier seemed to be the most recommended, but it doesn't seem like they are sold anymore. It looks like Dometic and Coleman are the two main kinds. I see the Dometic Penguin low profiles on the ATC's a lot, and a lot of Carrier's. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 840 Likes on 423 Posts

I have a 15k Carrier in my 32' goose, which is effectively a 24' box with 8' of goose. On really hot days (92+) it will only get the trailer so cold (down to 78-80ish). The rest of the time, you can get it to 75 or lower, which feels great post race. I am planning to put in another AC so I can get it meat locker cold.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carrier has stopped making their portable A/C units but you can still find a ton of them out there being sold brand new. I just picked one up for my 28' trailer. Two year warranty support is a nice incentive to get the carrier.

I bought the Heat Pump model so I could use the heat function in the cooler months or at night to keep the trailer toasty. The A/C was a life saver at a recent event at VIR with 107 degree temps outside. I camp in my trailer and at night with 85 degree temps outside, it was nice and chilly inside. Perfect sleeping weather.

With a black trailer (Big mistake buying that color), it was barely able to keep up with 107 degree temps but trailer was still comfortable with nice, de-humidified air inside. I wound up spending all my time inside the trailer after the the laps such to stay out of the brutal sun. Best money I've spent for an event so far!

A nice little trick that works with any A/C unit, buy a big plastic painters plastic sheet or a really big shower curtain.. Seal off half the trailer (Tape it up on the walls) and prepare to get even chiller on the hottest days. I did this on day two of the event and was kicking my self for not doing this on day one.

John
Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a side note, what size generator is needed to run a AC effectively?

Are there larger capacity units, say 25k btu? Does Trane make rooftop units? I hate Carrier.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3500 - 5500 watts ideally... depending on how many other accessories you want to run at the same time.

Quick Reply: Trailer AC recommendation?