Laguna Seca POC Races this weekend 8-21-10

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Laguna Seca POC Races this weekend 8-21-10

Who is going??

I might be able to race one day, probably Saturday in Red. Its been a long time since Ive run with POC and looking forward to running with the porsches. Always a more connected group to run with, I have always thought, plus, ALL the cars are cool. (porsches and a couple of BMWs )

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-19-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

me
171mph
jrgordon
mobonic
gomez 1
leigh2
polar porsche or was it polar peter
several other crazy canadians
YOU, lol.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am here now
Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Something tells me I wont be getting as much rear view camera footage of you this go around.

I hope I get in. So far, it sounds like I have been approved to run.

I'm all fired up to go! Its been so long since Ive run with the porsches. That will be great!

Ill be there early saturday morning, so keep the track warm for me!

BTW, anyone know if Sofro or Fabrice will be there with an M3 or porsche?

Mk

Originally Posted by mooty
me
171mph
jrgordon
mobonic
gomez 1
leigh2
polar porsche or was it polar peter
several other crazy canadians
YOU, lol.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

What a blast that was running with the Porsche brothers after not running with them for so long.
Race was fun, but short. Lots of fast cars. Anderson in the 928 obviously won again. 7 race wins in a row. You think with all those x-ALMS GT2 /GT cars that someone would pick him off over the years.
I just found out he won the second race today. 1:31.xx in qual and 1:32s in the race and there were about 3-4 cars right there within 100ths of seconds.

we had another group 10 cars back that all were in the 1:37s, so a lot of fun to be had.

Mk
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
What a blast that was running with the Porsche brothers after not running with them for so long.
Race was fun, but short. Lots of fast cars. Anderson in the 928 obviously won again. 7 race wins in a row. You think with all those x-ALMS GT2 /GT cars that someone would pick him off over the years.
I just found out he won the second race today. 1:31.xx in qual and 1:32s in the race and there were about 3-4 cars right there within 100ths of seconds.

we had another group 10 cars back that all were in the 1:37s, so a lot of fun to be had.

Mk

What a surprise!! You made it to a POC event!! Sorry I wasn't there!!
Sounds like everyone had a great time and that "GT2" was very competitive.
As to Mark A., what can you say? Great driver plus great car = 1st Place finish.
Mark loves that track and I'd never bet against him there (or on 7-8 other tracks)
Who were you racing against in the group "10 cars back" (nothing has been posted yet).
JP
Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

anderson first and i think drew was close 2nd then it's guy's 7 cup.

jrgordon did 1:35:0xx in his 3.4L 996. ()#&_^)(&)_&^_&$W*Y&*T^&(%

i only managed 1:37's ugh....

yesterday race cut short, one of the cars went off.
today was fun. i was doing peechee, until one lap to go. sideways at T11, gathered up, missed a shift, lost two spots.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

yep, Mark and I have drive a few events together in the past. we even drove the same car in the lemons races this year.

The cars after the top 10 spots were cars like neil andersons 3.8 liter boxster, JR's car and one like it with a little more HP. Most of them look like either cup cars or 996s. I was one of the only one on DOTs, as JR said his best was 1:38 on DOTs a year or two ago. I was practicing with him. that car actually moves. and it wasnt only on the curves and braking. he paced me easily off turn 11 down the main straight whe I got close to him.

I got hosed on the start due to Anderson kind of stopping up the group in the inside lane. (smart strategy on his part) and then I was a ninny and didnt see that coming so I lost a few spots. too me a while to get by Fab in the GMG M3, but once I did, 4-5 laps later, caught up to the other 1:37.low guys and just before I could pounce, the full course caution came out. they rolled that into a checker after 2 laps. that was a real bummer! I was really looking forward to a restart! anyway, ended up around 10th in GT2 I think.
I also saw a car I did that superlap think a few years ago at Buttonwillow. it was a GMG porsche 996 turbo. I think the guys name was steve.
Just fantastic to get out there and run with the porsches again. certainly Ill be doing it again. now I have to start looking for slicks in the garbage can.

By the way, great to meet JR and Mooty in the pits. I was pitted with Anderson and JR and we had a few laughs in the paddock. He was cracking me up. Even though he puts on more new tires in one day, than I do in a full season, he sleeps in his trailer, and works on his car himself. He also drives flat-out, which I saw first hand in our two practices.

Here is my rear view cam of the first few laps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqJJIkM0v4

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
What a surprise!! You made it to a POC event!! Sorry I wasn't there!!
Sounds like everyone had a great time and that "GT2" was very competitive.
As to Mark A., what can you say? Great driver plus great car = 1st Place finish.
Mark loves that track and I'd never bet against him there (or on 7-8 other tracks)
Who were you racing against in the group "10 cars back" (nothing has been posted yet).
JP
Attached Images     

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-23-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark it was great to meet and play with you on Sunday. Honest Dave, he's really a good guy with a quick wit and fast mind. I'm much more of an *** than he'll ever be.....

Here's a pic of L to R, me, Mark Andertson, Mark Kibort, and Mooty:

And because I get bored in redundant driver's meetings, I was able to snap this pic of a loving couple listening intently. Someone should tell her her hands should be at 10 & 2, not 4 & 6.....

Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

John G., is that you in the red parka again?

Hey Mark,

Did U meet Bob Ehrman in #44 with the checkerboard going down the center of the front hood (he was on your a** until the GMG M3 got between you). Looked like you two had a good battle going. His is a '76 911 with a 3.6L (GT3 Class).

JP
Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I did! We did have some fun.

I thought we might see you out there. Maybe next year. I still really want to run Cal Speedway, or possibly willow springs again.

I was really impressed with JR's performance. He really had that 996 singing!.
If you think about it, the fastest VanOvebeek could run in a toyo TS1 clad 2001 cup car and a little more weight, but, WITH the motorsport upgraded engine, was 1:39xx. 1:35 with a stock 996 engine? I wonder how fast he could be with 200 more HP like the others out there.

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
John G., is that you in the red parka again?

Hey Mark,

Did U meet Bob Ehrman in #44 with the checkerboard going down the center of the front hood (he was on your a** until the GMG M3 got between you). Looked like you two had a good battle going. His is a '76 911 with a 3.6L (GT3 Class).

JP
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Mark for the kind words. My little 3.4 is truly the litle engine that could. I loved beating up on the 6 and 7 cups all weekend. They may have 100HP on me, but I'm 150lbs. lighter. I passed one under braking on the last turn yesterday and beat him in a drag race to the checkered. We were both surprised.....
Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM
JC3D
Pro

It was good to meet more of you this weekend. I got a real lucky start on Saturday in red and finished second behind Gordon in gt3, in my gt4 car.

Sunday wasn't as lucky, but still had a great battle for the whole race.

This was my first full weekend running in red with poc, and it's a lot more fun being the underdog in the slowest class and picking off the faster cars, than it was running at the front of orange.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
And because I get bored in redundant driver's meetings, I was able to snap this pic of a loving couple listening intently. Someone should tell her her hands should be at 10 & 2, not 4 & 6.....

Hey John -- I was there in the cheap seats driving with SpeedVentures -- I came walking around the paddock a few times over the weekend, but consistently missed you. Well, next time.

ps. As for the pic. I think I'll trade in my tire warmers for this approach to keeping the equipment at operating temperature.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Who was the track photographer this time? I missed the event but would like to see the pics.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca POC Races this weekend 8-21-10