Sponsored by:

First time w/ Pagid Yellow RS 29 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts
Default First time w/ Pagid Yellow RS 29 - questions

Installed these for the 3 day DE at LCMT (thanks Craig), and what a HUGE difference. Compared to street pads, the clamping force is simply outstanding. Took a while to learn to modulate the pedal, as there is so much more grip (relative to my street tires, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec for now, mounting up Nitto NT-01's for the next event).

So, here's the question. They squeal like a school bus' worth of schoolgirls, both on the track and on the street. I expected that on the street, but assumed that the higher heat and application force on the track would make for 'quiet' running. They are LOUD. Loudly audible over earplugs and Supercups...

Is this normal?

Futher, on the drive home, there was a recurring squeal while driving, not just stopping. As if the pads a vibrating against the rotors while not in use.

Again, is this normal?

Looking for advice and counsel from those that have been there, done that. Just want to know how much of this is just the "nature of the beast" as opposed to a potential installation or bedding issue.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's start off by asking what run group are you in?

Second, did they squeal all the time?

Third, did you bed them?

Forth, what rotors do you have?

Anyone else, please chime in so we can frame the question.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you drive flat out? Because that's how you drive with those pads, flat out....
Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Matt there are a couple of things to check.

1) Were the properly bedded? There is a procedure that needs to be followed.

2) Did you install them yourself? Sometimes with new pads and relatively new rotors you have to remove the anti vibration plates to get the pads in (too thick). If so they are ore likely to squeal.

I use Pagid 29's street and track and mine don't squeal unless I drive on the street a lot which wears off the pad material deposited on the rotors. The solution is to re-bed the pads and the noise goes away.

Best,
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
Let's start off by asking what run group are you in?

Second, did they squeal all the time?

Third, did you bed them?

Forth, what rotors do you have?

Anyone else, please chime in so we can frame the question.
Signed off, White, about 35 track days.

On the track, they didn't squeal on every application. But close.

My mechanic installed and "bedded" them. But not as recommended - at street and highway speed using left foot braking to get them hot. Not good, right?

Stock 993 cross-drilled rotors - well worn, but still have meat and no excessive cracks.

Originally Posted by Glen
Did you drive flat out? Because that's how you drive with those pads, flat out....
Flat out, like I stole it!

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Matt there are a couple of things to check.

1) Were the properly bedded? There is a procedure that needs to be followed.

2) Did you install them yourself? Sometimes with new pads and relatively new rotors you have to remove the anti vibration plates to get the pads in (too thick). If so they are ore likely to squeal.

I use Pagid 29's street and track and mine don't squeal unless I drive on the street a lot which wears off the pad material deposited on the rotors. The solution is to re-bed the pads and the noise goes away.

Best,
Probably not properly bedded. Can they be "re-bedded" a second time?

Nope, Barry installed them. Not sure about the anti-vibration shims. Will ask him.

At this point, I'm inclined to "start over" and try to re-bed after checking the shims.

To be clear, the stopping was outstanding, and I have no brake shudder from glazing/deposits.

Hmmm...
Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One caveat I get from Pagid is they like to see there pads applied to rotors with no other compound already on them. If the rotors are far gone, just replace them now and start over. I have bed pads by LFB them up to temp. Should be able to smell the pad pretty well at that point. They need to sit after getting hot. 993 are they turbo brakes or stock? Also switch SRF if stock brakes.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
One caveat I get from Pagid is they like to see there pads applied to rotors with no other compound already on them. If the rotors are far gone, just replace them now and start over. I have bed pads by LFB them up to temp. Should be able to smell the pad pretty well at that point. They need to sit after getting hot. 993 are they turbo brakes or stock? Also switch SRF if stock brakes.
The prior pads were street OE Textar, pretty mild. I was told that the Pagid race compound is not adversely affected by such a 'base'.

Could definitely smell 'em, both during the bedding (street) and first track run session.

Stock 993 brakes, usually run Motul.

Best,

Matt
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use old rotors that were used mainly on the street most of their life, they will most probably squeel cause rotors are well glazed (look shiny). Pads do rub a little after hard braking sessions but it goes away, unless pads and rotors are new as Bob stated. Pads won't squeel when used on the street unless you DD the car for a long period without any hard breaking. Again as Bob stated, if you DD for a long period, rotors will glaze.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My Yellows squeal on the track sometimes. They squeal on the street on the drive to and from the track all the time.

Pagids are hard to bed in on the street. You have to do some illegal driving to properly bed them in on the street. I do the best I can where I live out in the country I have some long flat deserted roads to go on...but...on the drive to the track the pads unbed themselves. I am mostly concered with getting the stock pad material off and the Pagid material on. After 1 day of DE, mostly on the second day the pads hardly squeal but they will sometimes. This is perfectly normal for a race pad.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I usually bed in my Pagids at the track. 2 or 3 hot laps then come in and let them cool until the next session. I lose a session but they get bedded in properly and never give me problems after that. +1 for SRF.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

OP: I probably wouldn't worry about it all that much. Although squeeling on track is unusual for me (I run similar compounds) I think it may have more to do with temperatures in the pads. If the yellows aren't getting up to temp and staying there, you'll get the squeeling.

The whole idea of bedding is to transfer some pad material to the rotors and enhance friction. Usually after a track day, I get 2-3 days of driving with my yellows on the street without squeeling because there is still plenty of pad material on the rotor. I tend to beat my brakes up quite a bit though and they get very hot.

To sum this up, I'm not entirely sure you're getting the brakes hot enough to transfer adequate material to the rotor. I really have to emphasize that I was not in the car with you and have no idea how you drive so I might be WAY off base.

P.S. Sportscar Boutique stocks those pads at a great price and they're in Canada.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bedding is tough and not something to do on the street. I don't like the idea of giving up a session (or even part of one), so I tend to have squeal on the track as well. Just means there's not much of a layer of pad material transferred onto the rotor. Street squeal is obnoxious, but not much you can do there.

The first time I had Yellows I was shocked at how thick they were - had to remove every shim just to jamb them into the calipers. But what you describe (with old / worn rotors) sounds more like maybe you have some warp. I'll second the "get a new set of rotors" suggestion.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it.

Silly question, but for those that do not swap out your track pads between events, do they in fact need to be re-bedded in after extended street driving, as implied above?

I would think the initial layer of bedded compound would remain, if a bit glazed up. I would imagine you are just scuffing off the pad buildup, no?

Very interesting.

M
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

No need to 'rebed'. A few laps on the track usually do the trick. You should just be warming the car up then anyways and not driving 'flat out'.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Pagids are hard to bed in on the street. You have to do some illegal driving to properly bed them in on the street. I do the best I can where I live out in the country I have some long flat deserted roads to go on...but...on the drive to the track the pads unbed themselves. I am mostly concered with getting the stock pad material off and the Pagid material on. After 1 day of DE, mostly on the second day the pads hardly squeal but they will sometimes. This is perfectly normal for a race pad.
I just put a new set of Pagid Yellows on the car, and I'm going to the track in two weeks. As you point out, it's hard to do a proper bedding in procedure on public roads in the Chicago MSA.

Should I a) try to bed them in on deserted highway at 6 am on a sunday (in Chicago, yeah right), b) just not drive the car until I take it to the track and bed them in there, or c) not worry too much about it and drive it on the street between now and then and take it to the track in two weeks?

Just curious what the conventional wisdom is.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: First time w/ Pagid Yellow RS 29 - questions