Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help in getting faster. critique my driving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help in getting faster. critique my driving.

this video is from last weekend at TWS, Texas. car is 964and running in the GTS3, best lap time was 1:55. what do I need to change in my driving to get my lap time down? I was told I'm early apexing, I just can't see it. All comments are welcome. Thank's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8t9teDuX0
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened at 11:09? -- first "thump" then tire squeal and counterclockwise rotation. Appears as if understeer starts at apex continuing until the thump and quarter turn rotation. (Good composure regaining control.) In general, seems you're slower at track out. Perhaps any degree of early entry is your effort to maintain momentum through apex and corner exit. And later apex would make things worse. Could it be....gearing?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Sound and picture are not in sync. I took the left hand turn wrong and ran out of track.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bassam
Sound and picture are not in sync....
Ahh that explains it, I was going to say it looked like you were comming off the throttle way too soon!...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 787 Posts

This is my home track--I live in Austin.

Yes, you are early in alot of places. Look where you hold lock (or even add it) at & past apexes. Let's go thru the track:

Main straight--why are you so high? It curves, so make it as straight a line as possible, come out of 1 make a straight line down to (and even on) the aproon, then graduually up again, and shave off mucho feet (and be straighter longer).

15--you are consistently too low entering & too early here...which is slow...and which makes you early for 14, which is the key corner here....and which in turn makes you early for 13 and messes up your speed to 11. You are losing 2 seconds here alone IMO.

11 to 10--you are driving around 11 to get to 10...don't...turn into 11, apex, and then go straight and apex again early at 10 (10 is really a 2 apex corner), then brake & turn for 10....much faster entry

9--WAY early, which is making you early for 8, too, and messing up your speed to 6...tun into 9 so that your left tires go over a bunch of that left side flat concrete apron.

7--early as well, look at your exit...killing your speed

4--could be cleaned up a bit, since you are adding lock after apex

3--way early, plus you are not using the extra track to the right as you turn in...track widens here on the right side, use it for a faster entry & exit.

Below is one of my videos. My passenger is another poster here (and similarly experienced instructor), Robert Henriksen. Check it out for reference.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 08-07-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
sig_a
Pro

Cool

Sound and picture are not in sync. I took the left hand turn wrong and ran out of track.
Well that sure clears things up for me. I thought that little cameraman was making all those downshifts for you.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:07 AM
911FM
Racer

First, let me preface my comments by saying that I am nowhere close to your level of driving experience. The following is just a novice observation, based on my limited understanding of driving dynamics. Since I am a consultant by trade, I love to give advice.

In some corners (usually the long ones), you tend to hug the corner for a long time as opposed to just touching the inside at the apex. You get close to the red and white stripes early in the corner and then keep on following the stripes until you exit as if it was a rail. Look at min 1:10, 1:29, 2:16, 2:25. , etc.
For ex. at 3:24, you start going into the corner early and could probably stay to the right with more speed. You reach the inside at 3:25 where you hug the corner until 3:28, where you could probably let the car out much earlier on a wider trajectory. Less steering means more acceleration possible. At 3:29-30, - you have a ton of room left on the right side to track out.
The car in front of you has a better trajectory. He stays on a much wider circle and touches his apex only at 3:26. (It is just an illustration here as his trajectory is far from perfect in general)

The shortest way around the corner is not always the fastest. In general, your trajectory should be wider than that of the corner and tangent to the corner only at the apex. Widening your trajectory will enable you to carry more speed at the entry and the exit since possible speed is proportional to the radius of your trajectory. This is even more important at the exit before a long straight of course since you can carry the momentum.

In other words, if you spend more than a split second close to the stripes, you may not be going as fast as you could. If you are not already doing so, you may want to study the best line on a detailed map, figure out which corners are most critical and where you need to sacrifice the line to be more effective in coming out of corner combinations.

Hope this helps a bit.

FM

Last edited by 911FM; 08-07-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911FM
First, let me preface my comments by saying that I am nowhere close to your level of driving experience. The following is just a novice observation, based on my limited understanding of driving dynamics. Since I am a consultant by trade, I love to give advice.

In some corners (usually the long ones), you tend to hug the corner for a long time as opposed to just touching the inside at the apex. You get close to the red and white stripes early in the corner and then keep on following the stripes until you exit as if it was a rail. Look at min 1:10, 1:29, 2:16, 2:25. , etc.
For ex. at 3:24, you start going into the corner early and could probably stay to the right with more speed. You reach the inside at 3:25 where you hug the corner until 3:28, where you could probably let the car out much earlier on a wider trajectory. Less steering means more acceleration possible. At 3:29-30, - you have a ton of room left on the right side to track out.
The car in front of you has a better trajectory. He stays on a much wider circle and touches his apex only at 3:26. (It is just an illustration here as his trajectory is far from perfect in general)

The shortest way around the corner is not always the fastest. In general, your trajectory should be wider than that of the corner and tangent to the corner only at the apex. Widening your trajectory will enable you to carry more speed at the entry and the exit since possible speed is proportional to the radius of your trajectory. This is even more important at the exit before a long straight of course since you can carry the momentum.

In other words, if you spend more than a split second close to the stripes, you may not be going as fast as you could. If you are not already doing so, you may want to study the best line on a detailed map, figure out which corners are most critical and where you need to sacrifice the line to be more effective in coming out of corner combinations.

Hope this helps a bit.

FM
Thank's for your reply, what I didn't do is study the turns on a map! it was my second time on this track and first time running clockwise. Lesson learned.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is my home track--I live in Austin.

Yes, you are early in alot of places. Look where you hold lock (or even add it) at & past apexes. Let's go thru the track:

Main straight--why are you so high? It curves, so make it as straight a line as possible, come out of 1 make a straight line down to (and even on) the aproon, then graduually up again, and shave off mucho feet (and be straighter longer).

15--you are consistently too low entering & too early here...which is slow...and which makes you early for 14, which is the key corner here....and which in turn makes you early for 13 and messes up your speed to 11. You are losing 2 seconds here alone IMO.

11 to 10--you are driving around 11 to get to 10...don't...turn into 11, apex, and then go straight and apex again early at 10 (10 is really a 2 apex corner), then brake & turn for 10....much faster entry

9--WAY early, which is making you early for 8, too, and messing up your speed to 6...tun into 9 so that your left tires go over a bunch of that left side flat concrete apron.

7--early as well, look at your exit...killing your speed

4--could be cleaned up a bit, since you are adding lock after apex

3--way early, plus you are not using the extra track to the right as you turn in...track widens here on the right side, use it for a faster entry & exit.

Below is one of my videos. My passenger is another poster here (and similarly experienced instructor), Robert Henriksen. Check it out for reference.

Thank you for your detailed answer, but what made it easier to understand was your video. I was early apexing and loosing exit speed in a lot of places but the worst part was the low entry into 15 and 14 and what resulted from that!!! For the second time you offer valuable info on my posts, next time i'm in Austin beer is on me Thank's.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your detailed answer, but what made it easier to understand was your video. I was early apexing and loosing exit speed in a lot of places but the worst part was the low entry into 15 and 14 and what resulted from that!!! For the second time you offer valuable info on my posts, next time i'm in Austin beer is on me Thank's.
I am happy to help anytime, bro!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am happy to help anytime, bro!

You two get a room.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Bassam,

I might suggest hiring Dave (VR) for a half day to do some one-on-one driver coaching. That will correct some early habits and give you a lot to practice on. Such driver coaching makes an immediate big difference.

Given how well your car is prepared, this will help enable you to get the best performance from the machine,...... .
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Bob, you sound jealous!

Steve, many thanks.

Quick Reply: need help in getting faster. critique my driving.