Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
With me, I take things away from the student in a quest to get them to focus on the basics of getting the car around the track smoothly. With a new student, once I know he isn't the next Pat Long, 1st thing to go is the mirrors. I'm the rear view mirror and passing commander. If shifting isn't smooth and is causing imbalance, that goes too. Gas, brake, and steering are his/hers and if I could do those myself I would take some of them away too!
Funny - sounds like my first helo flight instructor. I was only allowed to have one flight control at a time until I showed some proficiency.

Effective teaching method!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chipster
Funny - sounds like my first helo flight instructor. I was only allowed to have one flight control at a time until I showed some proficiency.

Effective teaching method!
Funny thing is at my last event my student ate lunch with a couple of older instructors (assume from Riesentoter as I didn't recognize them - and a plug for instructing at Riesentoter and a BIG thank you for including lunch!). When he told them about the mirrors both said they hadn't heard of doing it but liked the idea. It's the old thing, if you just tell the student "don't look in your mirrors" he will do exactly that.. look. I have no problem keeping track of cars behind us and getting them by.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary, not sure who the instructors were, but amongst the long standing core that is normal practice. I don't take them completely away so they are cognizant of traffic coming up, but will tell them where I want there eyes and I keep the right mirror pointed where I want. At the Glen up the essess I want eyes only forward same in T10-T11.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

It was never done when I was being instructed (to me anyway) but it seems to be more common now. With a 68YO student, 1st time at WGI, 1st time driving on any track, 997S... he dun't get no mirrors.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right mirror is mine.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

yeah, I've done that, turned the rear view mirror up, and would give the command, 'one on my side', or '2 on your side'... etc.

Sometimes the guys in back just have to wait... too much going on to give the point.

worst is the slow point... and then needing to get to one side for the next turn... before the following cars get past... (since they no longer have a mirror)

-yelling really doen't help... it just rattles the student...

Wives and SO's of instructors are where you earn your pay!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
plambert
Instructor

OMG! Just spent most of my Sunday reading this epic. Priceless!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Wow, this has the earmarks of an epic thread. Not sure how I missed this one, but I know what my leisure reading will be today! Spinning on purpose as a means to learning your car's limits? Wow just wow! LOL
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

may be i just need to follow other people route and buy something cheap and simple so i would not be afraid to run it. .
Ok, so the thread is way less interesting now that I see you were trolling with that attitude!

Just to let you know, the cheaper/slower car route worked for me. Going from the 996 GT3 to the 986 S allowed me to progress as a driver quicker, and part of that issue was not being quite as scared about balling up the car.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Ok, so the thread is way less interesting now that I see you were trolling with that attitude!

Just to let you know, the cheaper/slower car route worked for me. Going from the 996 GT3 to the 986 S allowed me to progress as a driver quicker, and part of that issue was not being quite as scared about balling up the car.
pretty funny to see somebody took time to resurrect this old garbage.

as of 986s idea - i still consider this route, by the end of this season it will probably get more or less finalized - I will either complete transformation of this 997 c2 into track car or will revert it to stock and sell it. will see. essentially it is just a money issue to see what end of this summer will look like and how much reserves (if any) I will be able to allocate for this fun.
or may be I will wait for 991 cars to appear and then will decide, that is most probably scenario. but all in all - it is just a car after all. it will work itself out.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Loadedagain
1st Gear

indeed

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I'm of the opinion that our satisfaction of all track days would be improved by more grid girls.

Quick Reply: greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)