Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes, sorry for the idiotic, off topic advice I tried to force on you. I would say ride with an instructor but unless it's a 997S it will probably ruin your reflexes and be a waste of time.
perfect
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, sorry for the idiotic, off topic advice I tried to force on you. I would say ride with an instructor but unless it's a 997S it will probably ruin your reflexes and be a waste of time.
ok, you are serious (or sarcastic) here, so here is a more or less serious response then.

nope. i had a great instructor. she drives completely different car but as you yourself told me already - it did not matter for first event at all. i did not know the track, i never drove it, i never walked it. it took me whole first day to learn the line.

second day first 2 sessions i still could not drive the line consistently and it came at third event on second day only where i was able to say by feel in my back if I`m going right or wrong in each corner. and only after that we started to go fast - before that i simply let anybody to pass me and was working on line. when it got back i was ale to pass every single car in my group when i wanted it - just because it was working exactly as instructor said - you go fast line at slow speed, then start adding up and you will be fast and it worked.

i know where my limits are well enough as i do spin my car more or less every 2 weeks on purpose in different corners and when i almost went to spin in that corner 1 to 2a transition it did not feel natural to me at all as i do know pretty well after 2 seasons of auto-x when exactly and precisely why my car spins. but it usually does not involve going down from 105mph to 65mph and throwing it from left to right in this way as it not quite same as regular slalom so it is exactly what i get here - where previous experience does not matter and new stuff has to be learned. makes sense?

again, i apologize if my reactions bothered you, but it is just me, when I see that i cannot turn the conversation around i simply do cut it short. it is simpler this way.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To funny!! Got the link from someone else and have really enjoyed reading this train wreck. Have at it, it's a slow afternoon.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
roundel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i know where my limits are well enough as i do spin my car more or less every 2 weeks on purpose in different corners
I am missing some of your logic here. Methinks not spinning your car more or less every two weeks might be a better indication of knowing your limits.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by roundel
I am missing some of your logic here. Methinks not spinning your car more or less every two weeks might be a better indication of knowing your limits.
He does it on purpose, so it's ok. You must have missed that but no harm no foul.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by roundel
yes and no. if you do want to make a fastest clean run possible you do need to know how much precisely you can afford to overheat your tires at what corner at this particular day and how it will affect your traction at next corner so you keep pushing until it is too much (spin) then take it down so it will work. sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. like last Sunday i did not get it spin at all where i expected it to. nobody`s perfect.

but i do have a feel it is time to stop this. it can continue, my input is not longer relevant here no matter what i say, thread is ruined already.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my input is not longer relevant here no matter what i say, thread is ruined already.
This thread was ruined by the #5 response.

First rule of thumb on this forum is leave the ego/attitude at the gate before asking for something here. This "jerkfest" as you called it, has some upstanding helpful drovers. A little ribbing is just for fun so lighten up Francis.....

Dangit Freddy beat me to it.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Lots of good info here, i'm already thinking about my planned "spin corners" at Limerock in a couple weeks! Don't see why you guys are so negative, we all have something to learn!

Always remember (I like this) "Ego is a balloon and Rennlist is the Pin"..
Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

He does it on purpose, so it's ok. You must have missed that but no harm no foul.
Spins the car on purpose?

Is he a stuntman or a rally driver? or both?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

yes and no. if you do want to make a fastest clean run possible you do need to know how much precisely you can afford to overheat your tires at what corner at this particular day and how it will affect your traction at next corner so you keep pushing until it is too much (spin) then take it down so it will work. sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. like last Sunday i did not get it spin at all where i expected it to. nobody`s perfect.
Oh. My. God.

On an enormous skidpad with nobody else nearby this might be an ok learning strategy. On a road course, this approach will eventually put you or an innocent bystander into a coffin (or worse). Seriously. Time for a re-think.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Spins the car on purpose?

Is he a stuntman or a rally driver? or both?
The only place I'm interested in spinning my car is at the Smuggler's Notch parking lot at 6:45AM on a Saturday/Sunday with the e-brake when no one else is there. It's a good way to make a nice, quick, tight turn, wake up the kids and scare the **** out of my wife and have fun. It's a win win win win.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thought about spinning. In 10 years of track driving/racing, I have spun twice and off track once. I must be leaving a lot on the table................................
Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Oh. My. God.

On an enormous skidpad with nobody else nearby this might be an ok learning strategy. On a road course, this approach will eventually put you or an innocent bystander into a coffin (or worse). Seriously. Time for a re-think.
I see a new video formulating in your head..................

Quick Reply: greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)