Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
thanks for the first informative answer about the topic here. i appreciate that.
You win, hope you figure out how fast 997S's are at the entrance to T1 at NH... very important to you becoming a better driver.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

what you say is actually matches 100% with what my instructor told me i should be able to do eventually. she did not want to do use brakes in tun 1 and i have no problems with that even if i felt that slight weight distrubution to front would allow me to get much better grip at 2a but I was actually loosing my rear end in 2a, not front, may be it is the way how car setup now, i did not have any understeer at all in this 1-2b section so that is why I even starting asking about speed as I need to figure out why the heck my *** was going loose where it was not supposed to and that is why i was looking at tachometer to make sure i do not lift car any single bit there. it is quite possible wiith all that crap on my rear tires that is why i started loosing them there. not sure. it just did not feel right at all.

as I also was quite decently tired at the end of day 2 perhaps it is possible i did misread my own sensations and reason may be different, so, who knows.
Tire buildup came on the cool down lap. That was not the problem. When you are in 2a and start to lose it, that is when the real driving starts. You need to feed in more throttle, not maintain. It was a combination of lack of skill and you being tired. Sounds like you had a good first event and should keep building on what the instructor told you.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

you were not my instructor, you did not drive with me, you do not know my reasons, so keep you suggestions to yourself and do not respond to my posts, is it so difficult to do?
Sorry I missed that before my last response, but I sure do hope you get all that is coming to you...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You win, hope you figure out how fast 997S's are at the entrance to T1 at NH... very important to you becoming a better driver.

it is not a competition here. no one wins in a fight usually, both parties loose.

no hard feelings, it all is just a forum chat. i`ll figure out what was wrong there eventually. what i more concerned now is how to clean up my tires.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sorry I missed that before my last response, but I sure do hope you get all that is coming to you...
my response is still the same, so, whatever you do it is not my problem, it is all in your head, not mine...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Tire buildup came on the cool down lap. That was not the problem. When you are in 2a and start to lose it, that is when the real driving starts. You need to feed in more throttle, not maintain. It was a combination of lack of skill and you being tired. Sounds like you had a good first event and should keep building on what the instructor told you.
yep, it was a good event. and what you said here makes total sense.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

First, lose the attitude. You admit you are a newb here, yet you give people $hit when they are trying to help you with your driving. It does not matter that they may not be directly answering your questions. What you are saying and how you are acting offers insights into your driving that you don't see, and the advice they are giving is CORRECT. Take your time and worry about driving WELL, NOT FAST. Sit there and drink it in, keep your mouth shut, and pay your dues, lest you continue to make a fool of yourself. The more you comment on the people trying to be instructive, the more you sound EXACTLY like the character in this video that you really should watch;

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ially-cis.html

Those of us who have been around for a while have all seen these guys. Do everyone involved a favor and don't be one!

As far as your tire pickup goes, if you don't drive through all that junk - especially on your cool down lap - you won't pick it up, eh? I had to break my girlfriend of that habit. My first few laps were murder if she'd just been out in the car.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

utkinpol,

Man, I see you as one of the most valuable posters here and on 6speed. Your advice on mods and the 911 are great reading.

But whats up today? Your snapping at people who are trying to help.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
.....But whats up today? Your snapping at people who are trying to help.

+1
Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

pull the clag off right after you hit the pits. Pull the wheel and go at to with a stiff 1 inch putty knife. Knock the corners off the knife to prevent digging into the tire. I found that a lot of the crud is from you own tires. On the last run of the last day cool down early and drive the line clean. Come in, pull the wheels and clean the tires right away while they are hot and the clag has not bonded tight.

The best advice given was to figure out how to have street and track tires where and when you need them.

Lighten up a bit. This is a fun place. We will give you advice and bat you around like cats with a mouse for a while for payment. We will bat you around more if you run around rather than listen.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

First, lose the attitude. You admit you are a newb here, yet you give people $hit when they are trying to help you with your driving. It does not matter that they may not be directly answering your questions. What you are saying and how you are acting offers insights into your driving that you don't see, and the advice they are giving is CORRECT. Take your time and worry about driving WELL, NOT FAST. Sit there and drink it in, keep your mouth shut, and pay your dues, lest you continue to make a fool of yourself. The more you comment on the people trying to be instructive, the more you sound EXACTLY like the character in this video that you really should watch;

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ially-cis.html

Those of us who have been around for a while have all seen these guys. Do everyone involved a favor and don't be one!

As far as your tire pickup goes, if you don't drive through all that junk - especially on your cool down lap - you won't pick it up, eh? I had to break my girlfriend of that habit. My first few laps were murder if she'd just been out in the car.
Bingo! My instructor pointed that out to me on my 3rd-4th lap. He said "you're quite fast but you need to slow down, learn the line especially into 1, 2A, break earlier into 3 to settle the car, shift then accelerate up the hill and cut down on my steering inputs into and out of the bowl. Once those were "mastered" I'd not only be much faster but decidedly safer. He was right. I almost had to learn the hard way into turn three when I braked very late (in an effort to be faster), shifted into second and got on the gas all at once and almost spun with major oversteer. I was able to collect the car and proceed with a lot less speed going up the hill. I didn't make that mistake again.

As it relates to collecting the clag, why drive off line during the cool down lap? I look at the cool down as an opportunity to perfect the turn in points at lower speed and learn the line even better even though I'm only driving at 90%.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
utkinpol,

Man, I see you as one of the most valuable posters here and on 6speed. Your advice on mods and the 911 are great reading.

But whats up today? Your snapping at people who are trying to help.
just too much stuff for one day. nothing to do with this forum even.
all i needed was really for somebody with same gear ratios to open up his old video, look at it and simply answer that was rpm in between from corner 1 to 2a while on 3rd gear.

only help what is relevant to my driving can come from my instructor who sees exact mistakes i do and drives with me. i would never even think asking about my driving on a forum. and when i see too much BS starting to come down in a thread i just cut it short as there was no reason for it. they invent my sins out of nowhere and start lecture me on them - what the heck do i need it for?

i still think i messed up my setup too much last time as my rear end was not supposed to be doing what it was where it was, so, next time hopefully i will have an instructor who drives comparable car so he can tell me if it was so indeed or it was just me OR what just matt said - it was exactly the thing what was supposed to be going on there and there are other ways to deal with it ,but by going other ways you may not be able to collect your intestines. that was a normal civilized answer and not a pointless lecturing, plain and simple.

instructor i drove with told me that she sensed too that line was correct but car started to loose its rear and her decision was that it was simply too fast for what we were working on and we stopped that exercise on corner 1 so i went down a notch there and started working on different corners.

plus, you know, real difference, in real life, between people who know their sh#t really well and rest of the crowd is in the way how they communicate their knowledge. i am old enough not to be concerned about most of the world by now, you know, like me, like me not, who cares? it`s all just a water under the bridge. i ask what were exact rmps in that exact corner, they tell me to work on braking like i do not know that, but, who cares? water under the bridge.

Last edited by utkinpol; 08-04-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

You don't have the car modified to say..... 600 HP and have a Mclaren coming soon do you?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I almost had to learn the hard way into turn three when I braked very late (in an effort to be faster), shifted into second and got on the gas all at once and almost spun with major oversteer. I was able to collect the car and proceed with a lot less speed going up the hill. I didn't make that mistake again.
Ahh grasshopper, you have learned the lesson. Super late braking into 3 is only good for going asses and elbows. You run out of time and screw everything up. Brake half a mark earlier and everything becomes easy and fast.

i still think i messed up my setup too much last time as my rear end was not supposed to be doing what it was where it was, so, next time hopefully i will have an instructor who drives comparable car so he can tell me is it was so indeed or it was just me OR what just matt said - it was exactly the thing what was supposed to be going on there and there are other ways to deal with it.

that was a normal civilized answer and not a pointless lecturing, plain and simple.
You don't need an instructor with a similar car. That part of the track is all about the drivers style. I'm sliding all over down there trying to carry momentum. Other people are a hair slower but 100x smoother. You have to figure out how you drive and work that into that section. Plus, as you go faster there, everything, including your style, will have to change. Don't obsess about it and try to get it next time you are at NHMS.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

all i needed was really for somebody with same gear ratios to open up his old video, look at it and simply answer that was rpm in between from corner 1 to 2a while on 3rd gear.
Yes, sorry for the idiotic, off topic advice I tried to force on you. I would say ride with an instructor but unless it's a 997S it will probably ruin your reflexes and be a waste of time.

Quick Reply: greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)