Sponsored by:

993 Race/Track Car For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 993 Race/Track Car For Sale

I have received several pm's on my car and hope to sell it to a fellow Rennlister. I am placing my 993 on Ebay to hedge if I fail to sell it to the parties that have expressed interest.

The following is my revised ad (learned even more about the history of my 993):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT

My 993 was fully developed as a race car for Grand Am's Motorola Cup Series (known now as the Continental, formerly Koni Challenge) by acclaimed Fiorano Racing (multiple Daytona 24 Hours Victories) located in Toronto. The primary driver was JF Dumolin (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...umoulin?ref=ts). My research indicates at least one win (Watkins Glen in 2001) and two second place finishes (Daytona in 2000 & Mid-Ohio in 2001) along with a Top 10 in Trois-Rivieres in 2002. JF sent me a note and said this was one of his favorite cars to race during his accomplished career.

The car was then purchased by Knobel Racing located in Toronto and Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Their primary driver was Barry Ellis. Barry raced the 993 in Porsche Club of America and PBOC events collecting multiple class and overall wins as well as setting a PCA record for C stock class at Sebring. Knobel now operates as Ranger Sports Racing campaigning two 997 Porsches in Grand Am's Continental Series.

I met Barry racing aginst him in the Panoz series. I purchased the 993 from him in 2006 after driving the 993 in a private test day at Roebling Road. I had moved into Porsches from Panoz and started racing a 996 Euro Cup Car. After driving the 993, I was hooked. I felt it was a far better car to really learn how to drive and race based on my goals at the time.

Each time I raced the 993, I saw improvement in my skills and enjoyed the car far more than any that I had raced. I set track records at Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park and Mid-Ohio. As I've shared with many, I never get out of the 993 without a smile on my face. The car is classed as an RS by PCA (I have a PCA logbook), now I stock. Yes, it does have a 3.8 (and it's freshly rebuilt).

Since acquiring the 993, I have extensive documentation of all work performed on the car, with a majority of the work done by European Auto Garage ( http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...=47&ajaxpipe=1), a business that I co-own with Karl Poeltl, a well-know Porsche, BMW and World Speed Challenge Racer as well as Engineer and owner of Racer's Edge.

I have reciepts of almost $43,000 of work done on the car since I've owned it. This includes a new-rebuilt 3.8 engine and transmission with all steel synchros. I have shopped for race cars in the past and this is a "ready to go" car with all the money spent by me. Business and Economics forces me to sell. I have set a very realistic reserve and can assure the future owner that they are buying this car at a great discount and what I believe to be the fastest 993 stock class car in the US.

This car is street legal and does come with a clear title. I reserve the right to end the auction early. This is a known car across the country and I am speaking to several potential buyers at the time of this post.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

GLWS
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Forgot to list price- $55,000.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glws dave, are you getting another race car or is time for the chosen one to his racing career
Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pardon my completely ignorant questions.

What does a car like this weigh and what kind of power does it put down?

I realize it's a much older car, but how does something like this compare to a modern GT3? I've contemplated building a track car for DEs and possibly moving into racing but I'm curious how this compares to starting with a GT3 or even an 997 C2 for that matter.

I know these are really silly questions and probably even merit their own thread but I'm curious considering you've owned a really diverse set of cars and have first hand experience.

Thanks and GLWS
Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Pardon my completely ignorant questions.

What does a car like this weigh and what kind of power does it put down?

I realize it's a much older car, but how does something like this compare to a modern GT3? I've contemplated building a track car for DEs and possibly moving into racing but I'm curious how this compares to starting with a GT3 or even an 997 C2 for that matter.

I know these are really silly questions and probably even merit their own thread but I'm curious considering you've owned a really diverse set of cars and have first hand experience.

Thanks and GLWS
These are excellent questions; I too thought about building a track-ready car but ended up buying a just built club racer. Have been happy ever since; for me, it worked out well.
Some enjoy the process of building; I didn't want the risk and aggravation.
I don't know this car but it sure looks appealing.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
These are excellent questions; I too thought about building a track-ready car but ended up buying a just built club racer. Have been happy ever since; for me, it worked out well.
Some enjoy the process of building; I didn't want the risk and aggravation.
I don't know this car but it sure looks appealing.
I would probably buy a built car too, I was just curious how this might stack up the the alternative options. I would assume it a bit slower but by the same token, probably half as cheap and twice as reliable.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I run an RSR suspension prepped 993 with a similar setup, but a lot less horsepower (stock 993 3.6 vs prepped 3.8). My car is running consistent 2:08s at the Glen, 1:20 at Summit Main, and 1:28 on Tbolt without the chicane. I run pretty even with well driven race prepped 996 GT3s or a second slower to the best driven/prepped ones. His car having a 3.8 will drop 2 seconds at the Glen. You cannot build a car for the asking price, not even close. Knowing what I know now having spent the coin to get there I would have purchased this car without thinking and been racing at the front the next weekend.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having raced against it, it is a fantastic car, well sorted and very fast. If I had the money.........
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
My car is running consistent 2:08s at the Glen, 1:20 at Summit Main, and 1:28 on Tbolt without the chicane.

This means I have some very ambitious goals ahead of me.
2:08 at the Glen with a 3.6? Wow...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Rick what makes that sound silly is my top speed running foot to the floor before the bus stop was only 135mph. Another club member has a very nice older light weight Carrera and he would point me by then drag race me to turn in and have to lift a little so I would not share the corner. The difference was I could enter the bus stop at 90mph at T1 around 75mph.

I owe the suspension setup to Larry and Chris Cervelli. Aero was mostly my own project with Claykos and Jack Olsen giving me some starting points.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

God is my car slow. Almost 5 seconds a lap slower at SP.

Of course it could be the driver.

Naaah. It's the car.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

The question was how does a well sorted 993 measure up to a modern car . I consider my car well sorted at this point, but it took along time to do so. The car for sale is very sorted and I would imagine has very stiff springs so it takes some getting used to be quick at correcting.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
I run an RSR suspension prepped 993 with a similar setup, but a lot less horsepower (stock 993 3.6 vs prepped 3.8). My car is running consistent 2:08s at the Glen, 1:20 at Summit Main, and 1:28 on Tbolt without the chicane. I run pretty even with well driven race prepped 996 GT3s or a second slower to the best driven/prepped ones. His car having a 3.8 will drop 2 seconds at the Glen. You cannot build a car for the asking price, not even close. Knowing what I know now having spent the coin to get there I would have purchased this car without thinking and been racing at the front the next weekend.
You're killing me!!!! Stock 3.6, very good suspension, ballasted to 3100# dry to make class (GT5 because of the "altered" body work), best Glen 2:11.3, 12's more often. How much do you weigh...

Quick Reply: 993 Race/Track Car For Sale