Sponsored by:

997S do I need brakepad dampers/pucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997S do I need brakepad dampers/pucks

I am about to do a pad change on my car and two Porsche mechanics told me different things. One said you don't need the dampeners and the other said it will squeal like hell without them. I am just going to use the OEM stock pads but I hate to have to pay the $300 to get the dampening pucks and have to deal with them if the noise is minor. I street and track the car. I run in the open passing groups. Anyone have any experience running without the dampers? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took them out on all four wheels when I did my first DE and have never put them back in. I did 20+ days on the track using Pagid pads and swapped to factory pads for the street, again leaving out the misc parts. I also zip tied the wear sensors out of the way and taped the contacts so I don't use them either.

Really no noise until just recently, using street pads in the heat of summer. Once warmed up, about one application of the brakes, they don't cool down and they start squealing - and as they heat up the noise gets louder. So much that I'm thinking about replacing the misc parts again. I saved my original ones and they are still kind of rusty and nasty (storing them apparently doesn't help clean them up, go figure), so I may just spring for new ones. I also need front rotors soon, so maybe I'll wait and do the whole enchilada at once. The car now has nearly 60k miles on it.

Obviously YMMV but you won't know until you try. I'd suggest just saving all the parts, maybe bag and label where they came from, and try it for a DE and some street miles. If it works out for you, great, if not, then put the little parts back in. I don't think you need new ones unless you damage them or just want to go new.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

take them out!!

most track 997's take out, backing plates, springs.. basically only the pads
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GREAT advice here. Excellent -

Quick Reply: 997S do I need brakepad dampers/pucks