Sponsored by:

Porsche in turmoil

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
It also scares me that Lambo interiors are made from A6 and A8 parts bin left overs. With all due respect to Audi owners I will NEVER buy a Porsche that has VW/Audi interiors parts in it.
That's a bias without a basis. Audi interiors are of the highest quality in the premium European price range. And I doubt they use "leftover" parts for Lambo, just the same components.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shared engines and drive-line components? That certainly dilutes the uniqueness of the high end marques. Shared electrics and interior bits? Those are usually the worst features of some of the exotics out there, so I see that as an improvement.

Don't forget that when Ford took over Jaguar, they actually became reliable cars.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That's a bias without a basis. Audi interiors are of the highest quality in the premium European price range. And I doubt they use "leftover" parts for Lambo, just the same components.
Your probably right and I am probably over reacting, I also think that VW and Audi have made huge leaps forward in the last 5 years, but there cars lacked horribly and I starting to warm up to them but still view them as Johnny come lately, which is strange for a company that has been around for so long. Also I think that there is a certain amount of hatred/jealousy between Piech and the Porsches. I just think there is a uniqueness that will be lost. I hope I am wrong.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Your probably right and I am probably over reacting, I also think that VW and Audi have made huge leaps forward in the last 5 years, but there cars lacked horribly and I starting to warm up to them but still view them as Johnny come lately, which is strange for a company that has been around for so long. Also I think that there is a certain amount of hatred/jealousy between Piech and the Porsches. I just think there is a uniqueness that will be lost. I hope I am wrong.
Audi really turned a corner in the 1980s and their cars became more sophisticated. Like Porsche, their drivetrain architecture left them somewhat handcuffed, and they have performed miracles getting the car to perform well despite a major configuration flaw. I owned a 1991 Audi 90, a 2000 A6 2.7T and a 2002 TT Roadster. All were well engineered and for their intended use nearly flawless. But you don't want to own it out of warranty! The only think I own today that has Audi logos on it is my 944. ;-)
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

IMHO Audi make the best overall interior in the market today. Functionally elegant, high quality and simple and intuitive to operate. Porsche (like Lambo) could learn something.

Having said that I usually gut mine, so if Porsche is listening; don't do it on my account.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:45 PM
jenk12m
Banned

that was your windows 7 moment...lol
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Ritter -

That made my afternoon
Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Guys, there is a n/a V8 available in a rear engine Porsche, and it's not US iron. It's been made by RUF as I posted earlier. This could easily be a portent into the future.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/03/g...8-porsche-911/

"Nestled within the back of Stuttgart's finest, Ruf has managed to squeeze in a 4.5-liter V8 putting out 550 horsepower at its 8,500-rpm redline and 367 pound-feet of torque at 5,400 rpm. The 180-degree, flatcrank V8 is apparently custom designed by Ruf and comes complete with titanium connecting rods, a dry-sump lubrication system and spherical heads. And not only does it meet both U.S. and European emission standards, the whole swap is reportedly 80 pounds lighter than the 3.8-liter boxer-six it replaces."

As for losing Porsche uniqueness, there are those that feel the 996 had very little soul in it and was built by the accountants. Small, unique, family run businesses that succeed don't last like this forever. They always get bigger and rationalise costs and lose some of what made them original. It's the way of the world.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With all due respect to Audi owners I will NEVER buy a Porsche that has VW/Audi interiors parts in it.
I would love to see the look on your face if you started disassembling a new Porsche and counted the VAG parts content....not that I count a Cayenne as a Porsche, but IIRC the VAG parts/labor content in that Porsche was 65/85%.

Porsche has been raiding the VAG parts bin since day 1 and it hasn't changed since.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...I will NEVER buy a Porsche that has VW/Audi interiors parts in it.
Go ahead and sell you car then.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

I guess you missed the part about "Interiors" for example the Gallardo and the A4/6/8 sharing the same climate control.

Finn - Don't be an ***
Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess you missed the part about "Interiors" for example the Gallardo and the A4/6/8 sharing the same climate control.
Ever wonder where PAG gets its climate control and infotainment devices from?
PAG has never had sufficient volume to attract the attention of the OEM suppliers, so they usually get what is already being produced with perhaps a small modification or two (or simply a new P/N stamped on it).

I've been behind the curtain...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Lewis - I guess either I am having trouble explaining what I mean or I should ignore all posts regarding Porsche's future. I will try one last time.

I am pretty well educated into on how the automotive supply world works for a variety of reasons, thus I am fully aware that all cars share a lot parts, more than we care to admit, particularly in electronics.

The point I am fruitlessly trying to convey is simple. Porsche is a special brand, with a history, a soul and with a certain part of its design that makes it Iconic. I believe technology and advancement is great but it needs to be done in a way that keeps the cars history and identity. For example I think the Cayman and the Boxster are cool and I am not against them because they are not rear engine. Most importantly though they feel like Porsches, which is their success. When all of us spend our hard earned money we want a special experience and we look for that in any special car. In my opinion when VAG sells a $250K Gallardo to someone that has the same interior parts as a $35K A4 that is a slap in the face. Even though that "climate control system" maybe be mechanically the same make the fing thing look special or different or something! Ferrari for example I am certain shares a ton with its Fiat brothers but they would never let you know it. I think it is a shame that the R8 V10 and the Gallardo are truly so similar. I will concede that Audi and VW have made leaps and bounds of progress but I still dream of an independent Porsche. There is a personal vendetta here between Piech and Porsche and I have a bad feeling it could get in the way of logical thinking. The fact that the new VAG managers want to double the production of Porsche cars by 2015 scares the daylights out of me and makes me not only want to KEEP my car, but buy back by beloved 993 S and pick up a GT3RS as they will in a few years be known as the last great cars of a once great company. I hope I am wrong I really do. Have a great weekend.

Quick Reply: Porsche in turmoil